Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The NYPD has now begun random bag searches on subway riders.

Yup, folks, in the U.S. you can be randomly stopped and searched.

I sure hope this gets knocked down, because I'd rather die in an explosion than have the fourth amendment trampled.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Vote went through to have the Patriot Act extended too. Yup...
"Land of the free" my lily white backside.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
So how does that go with the right to have a gun to defend yourself? Or is that just around the house in case there's burglars? (Sorry, I guess this sounds more sarcastic then it's supposed to be!)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You can care a licensed weapon, still.

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
care for one? Cute wink

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Happy thought:

Somebody will resist search, and get arrested. They take the case to court, it goes all the way to the top. The Supreme Court takes one look at the PATRIOT act and says it's gotta go.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Now that Bush is stacking the deck, namely his supreme court nominations, he is one step closer to a full-on police state. We can't rely on the Supreme Court as the sole voice of reason in government anymore because nominees are appointed based, not on their sense of fairness or dedication to the Constitution, but on their personal beliefs and convictions. As soon as someone is nominated to a judgeship, everyone starts asking "Well, where do they stand on abortion?" or "What do they think of flag-burning?" Then, if they don't like the answers, they berate and accuse said nominee of being unfit for such an important position.

As far as carrying a gun, it's only a matter of time before handguns go the way of cigarettes. It's been suggested in Congress that people should be still allowed to carry concealed weapons--just not on subways, or buses, or crowded restaurants, or any other place the government considers a 'secure location.' And like cigarettes, the only place you will be able to legally use your gun is in your own home or car. Oh, wait, you can't use them there either, can you? Our rights are eroding faster than cotton candy in the rain angry Land of the thieves, and home of the slaves.

Random searches do little to no good. All they do is make people panicked or resentful. And maybe a few of the dumb ones will 'feel' safer. There are 4 million people using the mass transit system in NYC every day. If you stop to seach even 1 percent of that number, the transit system would grind to a halt.

What bugs me about our 'Terrorist Response Plan' is that it never looks ahead. They said the Patriot Act would make us safe, but all they did was concentrate their efforts on airplane security, because that's what was used on 9/11. They didn't focus on anything else. Then a train in Spain was bombed, so we stepped up security on trains. Now buses and subways are being innundated with security measures, yet no one is doing anything to protect refineries, chemical plants, power plants, bridges, etc. This country waits until something is attacked before doing anything to protect it. Wait until they hit one of our 130-some nuclear reactors, most of which are deemed as "highly unsecure," according to the folks at Dept. of Homeland Security.
*whew* rant over....calming down...anger subsiding.... wink

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711021.stm

this worries me when it comes to the terrorist response in the UK.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Random bag searches!!!!! Thats a disgrace!!!!!
I never thought that was legal. It cant be.

My mother used to have the tradition of going to new york to visit our american relations every year before christmas. She always went, even 9/11 didnt stop her. But now she and everyone in our family refuse to go there under any circumstances because our fingerprints will be taken. I wish it wasnt the case but we refuse to be treated like criminals just because we're visiting a country.

Im not just complaining about america. Here in ireland theres talk of id cards that EVERYBODY has to carry ALL THE TIME. If you dont carry it you can be prosicuted. Its ricockulous.

Added to that i discovered a while ago that in ireland all mobile phone calls and texts are stored for 3 years in memory banks and police can act on this info.

Oh yeah, whenever your mobile phone is on it reveals your precise global location too.

Just look at all this, if you said these things to somone even 100 years ago they wouldnt believe that freedom could so limited.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It's a Brave New World.

I, for one, will be refusing to be searched and will simply leave and go to another station.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Hexagonic

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711021.stm

this worries me when it comes to the terrorist response in the UK.

Hmmm...

That said, he DID jump the turnstiles wearing a thickly padded overcoat and ran away from the police...

BUT they had him on the ground. Why did they have to shoot him once he was on the ground?

-Mike

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Because if he really had been a suicide bomber and had struggled free for a single second long enough to hit the button...

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that I can understand why.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
mmm... Can't wait for the strip searches to start again in Chicago.

What do you mean they never had random body cavity searches?

BAH!

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

That said, he DID jump the turnstiles wearing a thickly padded overcoat and ran away from the police...

theres been some speculation about whether he had realised he was being tailed before he reached the station...pretty scary, being followed by a bunch of hench guys shouting and waving guns at you. i'd probably run.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
when one of my family friends was coming from the city to visit, he went from his apartment on the subway to penn and then from penn out to the island. He wasn't stopped once, nor see the usual national guardsmen in penn by the lirr. that said, there was a soldier with an M16 at our stop a few days ago;

its a crazy world

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I just read in the news over here that in New South Wales they are trying to introduce the random bag checks on public transport too.

If it gets in over there it won't be long till it makes it's way throughout Australia no doubt.

It's sad isn't it that it all has to come to this.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
they've had random, semi-compulsory bag checks at major dept. stores for a while now. sure, they can't force you, and they can't touch stuff, but we may have already lost the initiative to be able to fight it...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep.
it sucks.

i'm finding myself shaking my head in dismay several times a day now.

with all this crap going on, i'm almost losing the will to have an opinion.

but since this thread is here, here is an example of how random searches created more racial tension in the uk last year.

frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
we have stop and search too
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4697749.stm

the transport police in london have apparently been instructed to search ethnic groups in proportion to the population...so a certain percentage of white people have to be searched etc. theres been a bit of a strop about this with comments including 'its not white people doing the bombing' etc..
because obviously white terrorists don't exist *rolls eyes*

anyway..i just thought i'd point out that an effort has been made to avoid stirring up more racial tension this time around. whether it will work, slightly different matter.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
And don't forget that the police now seem to have the right to pin down an inocent civilian and shoot them 5 times before asking any questions, hmm, i'm moving east.

The terrorists do indeed win if we start acting like this. Although to be honest i'd say it's more a way for governments to pass a load of laws they always dreamed of making but could never find an excuse for.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
yep...germany 1933 comes to mind... (although i am in no way suggesting the government is framing terrorists for bombs they planted themselves)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
you know the only difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter?

what country the press is in.

You've probably seen that before, though.

really, i dont think we are ever going to win against terrorists/freedom fighters. They have the dedication, the resources, the reasons. and no 'coalition of the willing' is going to stop that. I really dunno what i'm trying to say here, so i might just leave it...

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter..
its very true.
saying so gets you yelled at for being an apologist though.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
then maybe i'm an apologist. i sure as hell don't think whats going on, either the war or the terrorism, is right. it'll end as a stalemate. and they suck. look at world war one...

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
i am an apologist

i dont know...i think i am realising that i cant really pick and choose my freedom fighters (PLO) and my terrorists (Al Quaeda), because whatever their cause their methods remain the same, and those methods mean the deaths of innocent people.
maybe this is called growing up.
dear god, i'll be voting tory next.

and as for the war on terror..
what a stupid [censored] idea that is. all it has proved is that however powerful your weapons are, you cannot beat religious fervour or human determination.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
And, were you living in Afghanistan, or Iraq, or any of the other countries we;ve invaded, you may see things the other way round. I dont know for sure, and i hate to put words in your mouth.

The right thing, the right movement, the right method. The only way to find them is to feel them. What's right for me, may not be for you. And thats what makes this world what it is. The differences.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
don't worry, those words were there before. i'm just lucky that i can sit in my safe(ish) middle class rural surroundings and make decisions like that.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I can't remember who it was but tony bliar met some foreign leader who gave old bliar a half hour lecture on the difference between a 'terrorist' and a 'reactionary'

tony evidently didn't listen to a single word

"an eye for an eye and the whole world will go blind"

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: squarexedge

what a stupid censored idea that is. all it has proved is that however powerful your weapons are, you cannot beat religious fervour or human determination.

Yeah you are damn right.
The war on terror has had a similar effect on terrorists to the effect of poking a wasps nest with a stick.

I wonder how many terrorists have been killed, besides the ones who killed themselves of coarse. Id say its fairly safe to assume alot more innocent lives have been lost by fighting terrorists than by terrorists actions themselves.

I mean HOW THE HELL DOES A CLUSTER BOMB PICK OUT A TERRORIST AND LEAVE A CIVILIAN UNHARMED??
Sorry it just really frustrates me when i see on sky news " American planes have attacked suspected terrorist positions with air strikes." How does a B-52 pilot about 33000 - 40000 feet up tell if he's bombing a school or a terrorist position. Not like he cares.

Even if terrorists are killed they will keep coming as long as the reason for their aggression exists.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
you know that if you refuse to let them search your bag, they refuse to let you on the train. what I want to know is, do they have the right to refuse service?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spiderbaby

Written by: squarexedge

what a stupid censored idea that is. all it has proved is that however powerful your weapons are, you cannot beat religious fervour or human determination.

Yeah you are damn right.
The war on terror has had a similar effect on terrorists to the effect of poking a wasps nest with a stick.

fighting for peace is like f*cking for virginity...

but on a more serious note, what does either side think they're really going to achive by blowing eachother up? flying a couple of planes into some building isn't going to convince me that their god or their lifestyle or whatever the fruitloop it is that they want me to believe is the right one, any more than us storming in there and blowing sh!t up is going to make them believe that it's not, it just doesn't make any sence. frown

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Page: ...