Forums > Social Chat > Don't cha just hate/ love it when...

Login/Join to Participate

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
You spend good money going to the dreaded hair dressers - and then go home and set your new hair cut on fire?

Well I did it.. D'oh!! Blasted meths.. comes off the poi and lights easier than kerro/parrafin.. but green hair flames was way cool.. left me a little frazzeled and uneven tho..

I love fridays however.. and practising my staff in the dark.. feel like a ninja..

Actually does anyone mix martial arts with poi/staff? I went to a light festival recently and there was this guy who had been doing various martial arts for years.. Keith gave him a staff with one end lit - he look way cool and I think we started another pyromaniac

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Deepmember
68 posts

Posted:
I wore my friends full, black ninja costume recently when I played with my firestaff and i swear it made me spin better than usual!
i cant actually do any martial arts at all but pretending you have lots of imaginary people to defeat surrounding you can make some good routines

HIIIIIIIIIIIII YYAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
you should ask kato about the poi / martial arts connexion.

and then prepare yourself for a very in depth answer

wherever you go, there you are.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Many of the move you learn on poi and staff (doubles as well) are taken from or stemmed from a martial art.

It is great to pretyend I love thinking that I am in some far away time and place fightin good over evil with me staff. Ok so I am crazy but hey whatevewr floats your boat.

Ah the days of innocent childhoood pretend...

Much love and hugs to all, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Does Kato still read this?

LOads of people who spin started by doing staff as part of their martial arts training and they encorporated that in their spinning. And lots did nunchucks too...........If you're really interested you should do a searchy.....

I like Drome's idea though....yippeeee! And as far as I remember - she always fights on the side of the good and noble anyway

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I do Poga.. Yoga breathing and poi..

Also nunchucks with short staff.. very cool for me - but ouchie on the finger tips!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
quote:
i cant actually do any martial arts at all but pretending you have lots of imaginary people to defeat surrounding you can make some good routines

Guilty of the same thing , I didn't do it to make me spin staff better as such, but to make my routine more varied. Rather than doing one move after another in succession, imaging a lot of close-proximity targets helped to break up the monotony of my routine and make more varied moves. Made my spinning a little more fluid, too.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
all those reverse drop catch things that i do Ros have their basis in nunchuck moves.

Spiral's staff spinning has it's basis in some weird neolithic period that he inhabits.

He wants to get a spear tip for his staff. I can imagine that being very popular with the headcharge bouncers.

Meh

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
more like chalcolithic I think, and hey, it would be a socket spearhead so I could take it off......

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
chalcolithic?

Meh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
kung fu is a bait for spirituality
in fact, the older shaolin physical kung fu is an ancillary art form to the original intention: to sustain monks physically, mentally and spiritually so that they could practice prolonged mediation to the cha'an tradition (which the japanese later took as 'zen')
the fact that the lands of china was a very violent place for thousands of years meant that this physical form of kung fu became deadly.
Now today kung fu it is mistaken as a purely physical form with the exception of taichichuan, or 'grand celestial' form.
Importantly, the other ancillary forms of kung fu, such as the chi-development in chi-kung, the inner peace of taoist(Ba Gua kung fu)/buddhist(Shao-lin kung fu) kungfu medidation can improve your firetwirling in the same manner that they improve your kung fu.
I wonder what anyone with years of proper chi development can do with staff manipulations, especially with palming, as the latent 'force' could make a routine absolutely spectacular.
The most amazing firetwiler i've ever had the pleasure to meet had studied these 'other' forms of kung fu (chris morant) in china and it was clear from his humble nature and incredible co-ordination/agility that he had taken advantage of studying the 'whole' of kung fu. He didn't have the power-ego that other excellent twirlers sadly often have. His body's development was matched by his mind and spirit!

it ain't all kicks n flips learn the rest and it will make you an uber twirler is the message! besides it's especially more fun when performing kung fu stretches prevents so much injury!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
yeah..... copper age, between neolithic and bronze age, They drunk lots of mead then..... they were buried with gallons of the stuff!