Forums > Technical Discussion > Single Colour Luxeon Poi, easier construction

Login/Join to Participate

GraahBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about whipping up a pair of Luxeon poi's when I yesterday found this forum and Hyperlights Luxeon thread. The RGB poi construction ideas in that thread are very interesting but are a bit more complex than what's necessary for my purposes. I would rather have an extremely strong white which would also eliminate the need for programming.

The 1 watt Luxeon can be used without a heatsink. My construction idea uses either 4 or 8 white Luxeon stars attached to the tall sides of a rectangular heatsink. Either one or two per side. The top and bottom are now open and air can flow through here and cool the heatsink.

Since we're spinning these things I thought we might as well use the airflow around the poi for cooling. A curved end, sort of like the outer shell of a trumpet, at the top of the poi will allow air to flow vertically though the heatsink when air is coming at the poi horizontally.

Konlux creates constant-current sources suitable for the Luxeon which are tiny and probably would integrate easily. Depending on the number of Luxeons it would probably require a powersource somewhere between 18-28V. Whether this would be inside the poi or connected through the string from a battery in hand/around wrist, I don't know.

After all is mounted I figure a transparent silicone layer around the whole thing, except the ventilation openings, would make it collision-friendly.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
You're going to need some fairly beefy (read heavy) batteries to chuck out that kind of power - hope your arms are feeling strong? wink

Cake or Death?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
indeed...
luxeons suck around 300mA @ 3.8 volts or so.
Say, you use 3x AAA batteries for instance. providing 900mA per piece total of 2700mA. With 8 Luxeons you'll be able to spin for only an hour or so before changing batteries smile
And constant-current sources? Dunno how that works. You could just serial-link the LEDs? So you don't need 18v (!) or even more. At least, that's what someone says who's only into electronics for a month wink

Do you actually have any idea how bright 8 luxeons are? You could seriously bring down UFO's with such a beam! 0_o

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well you're right about bringing down UFO's, and luxeons do draw roughly 320mA @ 3.66v, but most of the rest of that post is innaccurate, or just plain wrong - sorry anon wink

If you use 3xAA batteries in parallel, then you would indeed get 2700mAh. But; to get 3.6v, you'll need them in series which means you'll only get about 900mAh if you're lucky! That's not a long spin.. and you'd probably be blind by the end of it too hehe

Not sure what you mean about serial-linking? You might need less voltage than the full 24v if you use less luxeons though.

Cake or Death?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
Mh, with serial linking i meant something like.. i dunno. im clueless.
anyways.

Thanks for filling in the RIGHT info wink but hell, im still learning! ive studied a year social work and going to do religion-studies... that's something really really different than putting a circuit of led-lights together smile

but... to the point again.
Dear Graah, please consider using max. of 3 luxeons. 2 would be enough too (if you use a sock or something to diffuse the light, 2 luxeons are really enough). Besides, that way you can power it with standard batteries. Not even talking about the cost with $10 led lights!

(correct me if im wrong on anything hyper wink )

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Nope I'd agree with that.. unless Graah is super human, in which case, make it 20 luxeons and use a car battery on each head :P

Don't put yourself down anonomatos - I wasn't havin a dig, just correcting mis-information before someone reads it as gospel truth and starts telling other that that's the case. It happens more often on forums than you can imagine! I tend to stick to asking questions or making it very clear that what I'm saying is true unless I'm certain of what I'm saying smile

Cake or Death?

GraahBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
How about having power wires going up along the poi line and carry batteries around wrists... less centrifugal force and way less weight?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
Nah, don't even try. Even with a compact design it is very hard (for me, at least wink ) to make a secure design.

But WHY?! would you want so much luxeons? You seriously wanna bring down aliens? Wanna light a whole footballfield?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've thought about that, but I reckon the connecting wires would probably wear out fairly quickly.. could be interesting to try though smile

Cake or Death?

GraahBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I want it to look like I'm spinning stars! Dazzling! biggrin

I'm pretty green at electronics but wouldn't it be possible
to use a "small" battery inside the poi and just get less
shinetime? With the help of quick discharge batteries,
transformers and fairy dust...

I reckon a solid power wire contruction could be built...
Use two twisted cables as the only wire poi<->hand
and have rotating connectors for the cables so they can
easily twist. Humm, come to think of it maybe an old
BNC coax cable would do the trick. Or just use the
principle of that contact but with a more sturdy
construction.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8VlPRjLhcg

Hey guys, just figured I'd throw this up there. Not quite the same thing you're speaking about doing, but similar in ways. If I remembered how someone behind the build told me it went I'd tell you.