Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Ive just ordered a set of these...50cm led poi wands which alternate colours. Described as looking like flag poi when lit and 'creating sheets of light'. All sounds good, except that they didnt even have a picture of them on the site! I must be crazy - just went ahead, filled in those details and pressed send... What have i done - does anyone know anything about these things? If not, ill let you know.. 'gulp' eek

Tomorrows World isnt on anymore...Does that mean its tomorrow now?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, I cant say for sure as Ive never seen or even heard of these things... But, from the sound of it, Im thinking they're just LED sticks which, when spun and taken a photo of with extended exposure, end up looking something like this: https://philly.tribe.net/template/pub%2CV...ows&r=10319

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Yes, they are just extra long led sticks. And if they look anything like that photo ill be happy! Theyll be arriving in a couple of days so ill report back....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
sorry, but they prob wont look like that, thats a lush staged picture, so you wont get that lush effect, you will get trails like that

you will get thick trials of light, but that shot has ben shot specially, so dont get your hopes up that it will come out like that....

you might wnat to play with thelight levels on your camera to get really good shots

getting goo trails is some what or an art with a camera

Step (el-nombrie)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I've played with these, but found them a bit too lite and brittle feeling for me. Also i think the brightness is a lot worse than that in the pic. Anyway I could be wrong, check it out for yourself

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Yeah, thats my worry, that they wont be durable.. and mech, i realise theyre not going ot look like that photo in 'real life'! Hmm, if theyre rubbish i shall send 'em back

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Mech,

Its true that the shot was specially prepared but it really wouldnt be that hard to replicate. Just need a good camera, decent setting, and some creativity.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i just noticed looking at it, i dont think its truly a poi move, i think he is mving them with his arms, hence the bouce effect

sorry to bring doom and gloom...

Step (el-nombrie)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Of course its not a poi move... /bonk They're "wands" Thought that was obvious.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Well, they arrived... The design and look of them is more homemade than i expected, just a tube with a light unit at one end, with a split ring through the tube at the other, with swivel, double loop handles. They swing nicely, good weight and flow, and seem like they would be pretty durable. However, the jury is out on brightness. Switched on in the cupboard under the stairs (darkest place i could find!), the brightness doesnt seem to travel well along the length of the tube, which is only to be expected i suppose. The alternator effect is nice, fast rate of change. Will just have to wait for nightfall to test then out...It occurred to me that with those 'glow necklaces' slipped into the tube they could look good. More later after the test!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oooh dont be disheartend they will be cool in there own way im sure, even if it is different to other things that dosent make it worse or better. They will look awsome im sure just about anything that glows does, must make a video some time of what there like, I'll bet theres a good few people who are curiouse I know I am.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Theyve gone back to balls-u-like....no good at all.
the brightness didnt travel down the tubes - only an inch or so, so really they didnt look any different from a normal size glo poi. Bit disappointing, but at least now we know!