Kir :)BRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
Hi anyone out there to help... I must be stupid or something but got a beginner video and book but i just cant get it need practise and someone who is willing me to show the ropes of poi....Ppl of Melbourne... Help anyone??? redface

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
What specific move are you having trouble with? There are a lot of very usefull advise threads for beginer moves, try some of those. I'm sure any one of us would love to help you, but we'd kinda have to know where you are first.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Have a look through the lessons on the site and search for threads about a move.

Also if you're in a city chances are there's a meet nearby. If you're in Melbourne I can name a handful of local spinners and I've been to a spinning meet in Melbourne, so go along there. Search the Events and Meet Others forums for details.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
You could take up the slightly less dangerous art of accountancy?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Kir! ) hug

Don't worry! You are not stupid to be struggling in the early days with Poi! weavesmiley ubbloco ubblol

it really is challenging... Some rare souls take straight to it and zoom along, (grrrr) but most of us take ages to get the basics, and then proceed in fits and starts. Even people who make it look really easy talk about their insecurities learning... (I could go into an adult learning rave here, but I'll refrain!)

So take Dom's wise advice and connect with your local people.. like Sunday Afternoons in Alexandra Gardens on St. Kilda Road – opposite 'National Gallery of VIC' (Old Arts Gallery with spire) on ..

or do a search for people in Mebourne here and then PM them to say Hi (worked for me in Brisvegas!)

One thing you will find is that poi people are invariably friendly and helpful to newbies... We've all been there!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
From one begginer to another Ide say dont be worried. You will go from not being able to do a move and then suddenly BOOM something happens inside your head and then suddenly you can do something new, carry on doing it for like ten minutes and you have it made.

Even if you cant do any particular moves that you have heard about or seen practise with your poi regardless and you will find inspiration strikes at unlikely times. The free lessons link up in the top there is very usefull too.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
brit_joe I love your signature, most members of my ex's family were blessed with unibrows haha

kir- you'll get there, just keep trying!I been spinning for about a fortnight and I can just about manage a btb chase for 5 seconds. then i smack myself in the ear or eye ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible