SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
This evening Lauz and I went to spin in our usual spot. A Catholic Primary School's front steps (it was 10pm).

We were having fun and we both learnt a new move (i learnt one handed butterfly biggrin and Lauz learnt low and high turn biggrin) so we were in a really good mood.

We sit down to have a cigarette at about 10.30pm. This man who must have been 60 years old plus came up and started shouting at us because he said we were making dogs bark. I tried to camly point out to him that the reason dogs were barking was because he was walking up the street with two dogs. He then started ordering us around in a manner that our parents don't even use any more. He was shouting very loudly saying we could be desturbing people. He then told me to p**s off otherwise he was going to set his dog on me and ring the police. At this point I lost my temper and called him a w****r. He walked away. Then came back to shout some more. Lauz (being the rational one) asked him if we could talk about it like mature adults, he soon shut up and went away.

But this leaves me wondering, why is it that people complain about the way that youngsters treat their elders, when these so called mature adults can't treat youngsters with respect....

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Written by: JP Madam SNOOPoi

But this leaves me wondering, why is it that people complain about the way that youngsters treat their elders, when these so called mature adults can't treat youngsters with respect....

Unfortunately, JP, this may not be the right way to view the incident. The way I would view (whichis my own opinion, and may be wrong too), is that this persons attitude to you was likely set by previous experiences he had alreayd been through with other youngersters.

Also, out of the number of people his age, he is likely a very small minority, and I would have to say, that rebellious foul-mouthed youths who don't treat anyone with respect, much less their elders, are probably more common in the younger age groups than in that persons age group.

Thats a round about way of saying, theres a lot more young people, as a %age, making older people fele uncomfortbale and disrespected, than there are older people making the young ones disrepected.

This doesn't excuse his behaviour towards you, but be aware, he likely isn't the typical person of his age, and shouldn't be thought of to represent them in their absence one night.

Does that make sense?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Mabey he'd had a bad day.

Always be nice to other people, especially when they're mean to you. When somebody gets all p**sy at you and you're really nice in response, it'll either make them feel bad or just confused, either way it's funny.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I know the feeling, some of the older generation think everyone young is trouble. One I read about though was an elderly lady who had fallen & was helped by the "young punk" who stopped his "boy racer" car to help her. She was very impressed.
You win some you lose some with peoples attitudes.
Personally i like my mothers attitute, (shes retired) she loves seeing me spin fire & watches my mates doing it too.

Are you up for it?
wink;)

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i agree with sparkey...maybe he had a bad day! it sounds like he was overreacting a bit, but he's the only with control over that!

it's bizarre the relationship between young'uns & the elders of the community! when i lived in the city, old people would barely look at me, or if they did they'd look away quickly when they saw me looking at them! (cos i'm so scary lookin' ubblol ) but i now live in a very lil town & there's this old lady who walks every day at about the time i leave work. when i walk past her - even from the very first time it happened - she always says hello & comments on the weather. smile ahhh...perspective is a wonderful thing sometimes!! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

NadishomeLiving life to the full!
177 posts

Posted:
Dnt even get me started on this point!!

I've been working over the last two years as part of a youth council in getting a good relationship formed between youth adn old people and the oldies dont want to know!!

Being a dedicated community spirited person i go out of my way to help and the looks and shocked expressions i get is amazing!!

You get if you give!!

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
thanks for all of your responses they have helped me. i have calmed down a bit now.

not all youngsters are foul mouthed and nasty. in fact lots of us are rather nice. you do get the 'i think i is a gangster an i is bad' types but at my school (well my ex school) there were around 700 - 800 girls and only about 100 of them were foul mouthed and nasty. which just goes to show that we aren't all bad.

i would like to point out that if the man had been a resident in the area or even if he had just nicely said to me "it's a bit late girls don't you want to think about going home" i would have been nice and said "your probably right. I'll be off soon" i will be nice to anyone who is nice to me.

thanks again for all the responses.

hug

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!