psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
ok, i bought my new fire staff 2days ago and it has already started to fray around 1 of the wicks, i have done about 30 odd burns wiv it... is this the problem?? or is it something else?? i try to protect the wicks wen useing it on hard surfaces using a pair of old socks.

Non-Https Image Link

^^a pic of the main problem

please help as i dont want to have to buy new wicks after such a short period of time.

"if it wasnt for the last minute nothing would get done"
"inspiration comes from every experience of life"
"a life rich in soul is never tuneless"

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
30 burns in two days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
eek 30 burns in 2 days?! crikey you must love that staff.
Where did you purchase it from? My only thought being that it wasn't stiched/glued properly.
I suggest leaving it to air for a couple of days, and then put PVA glue on the fraying bits. The glue wont burn in the flame, and will just harden from the heat, and prevent any more fraying
Hope I can be of help xx

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
yup...2sleepless nights of burning, only been staffing for a month now, its the greatest thing in my life at the mo, met so many good people and finding out there is more to life then 9-5.... aimee u have helped, i can do that as i have no parafin n have a staff that i made which i can burn wen i do get some.

p.s. i do love the staff, it has been the main purchase of the month, as i dont have much money coming in at the moment, i needed to treat myself to something nice ubbangel

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
You should see your doctor about that.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I fully recommend the PVA glue comment by aimee.

Also, looking at the picture, it seems that the kevlar isn't fraying as much as unravelling completely. If it's kevlar like the stuff in the shop here, it's nigh on impossible for that to happen along the edges, but can oiften happen at the end where it's been cut if a strand is sticking out and gets cuaght on something or pulled on deliberately.

Finally, I'd like to ask if it was a new staff when you bought it? from the look of the aluminium edges in the middle of the wick, it's had a lot of abrasive abuse, there lots of little chinks all around it, and they all merge into each other. This indicates to me the staff has hit concrete, rocks or something of similar hardness that has a rough surface. I would say from what I can see 50-80 hard knocks on that type of surface would be required to ching the aluminium so much and so evenly...

Just my thoughts...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
yeh, i have been using it on a patio, has taken some hard falls, it was brand new wen i got it, cant really remember the wick state wen i got it, i will give it the PVA treatment today so i should then be able to burn in falmouth on thursday...

thanks again for ur help..

hug

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
and be sure to extinguish properly and on time! If you don't, kevlar degrades much faster. And of course soak it with enough fuel before you spin.

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

Merlynsfiremember
13 posts

Posted:
Enough fuel but spin the excess off to stop it flying all over yer audiance and also it's important to re-dip afterwards asap to stop the ends smoldering which will eat into the ends like that.

10 in two days, nice, keep it up and enjoy.

I'd rather go Poi with myself!

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
Written by: Merlyn Major

Enough fuel but spin the excess off to stop it flying all over yer audiance and also it's important to re-dip afterwards asap to stop the ends smoldering which will eat into the ends like that.

yup i do all that any ways... cheers for the advice tho ubbrollsmile