LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
i am currently on an emotional rollercoaster,
my heart rate has doubled,
im sweating uncontrollably,
and only one thing can quench my desire
ubblove ubblove

11 hours to go it is to exciting, im getting up at 6 so i can run and sit outside the bookstore wearing a cape with my broomstick. if anyone else is near waratah feel free to join me

is anyone else going through something similar????

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
To be honest...

I dont know how bothered I can be with this one....

JK Rowling has lost her passion for writing now she is so rich. She has the money and now doesnt feel a need to write the books as quickly, or as well as the previous ones as she knows people will buy it regardless.

When did the last one come out?
was it 3 years ago? or just 2?

My entire passion for Potter has dwindled after seeing the films cock everything up. That... and the fact these books are now MASSIVE! They are a childs book for Gods sake! At what must be almost 1000 pages, is that not slightly too long?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

To be honest...

I dont know how bothered I can be with this one....

JK Rowling has lost her passion for writing now she is so rich. She has the money and now doesnt feel a need to write the books as quickly, or as well as the previous ones as she knows people will buy it regardless.

When did the last one come out?
was it 3 years ago? or just 2?

My entire passion for Potter has dwindled after seeing the films cock everything up. That... and the fact these books are now MASSIVE! They are a childs book for Gods sake! At what must be almost 1000 pages, is that not slightly too long?

I agree. Not to mention that there are 4-syllable words in there that there is no way the "targetted audience" will get.

Honestly, I bought it (on a 1/2 price sale, thank goodness). I read it, and well, I think it is by far the worst of the books.

Nothing in it was a shock or surpise. Even the "plot twists" were not, and could be seen a mile away. That alone made it tedious at points to me. In fact there were 3 things that either really ticked me off or that I felt she just believes her readers really are all that daft to not pick up on. And some of it I *swear* I think she wrote having been influenced by the movies. There was an overwhelming lack of newness or imagination, and had alot of recycled ideas in it. It felt like a really loooooooooong bridge. None of the mystery of the previous ones. And one of the concepts is actually taken right from the original D&D games, she just renamed it. My favorite parts were actually the interpersonal interactions between some of the characters. Those were, eventually, amusing.

I just hate it when books really seem to go nowhere and take 652 pages to do so.

I agree with UCOF. I think she's lost the edge, just like sooooooo many before her.
But then again, I can't imagine being locked by contract into something with the tremendous amount of pressure she has on her is really all that great either.
Pity too, she started out so strong and I really enjoyed the first few books tremendously (3 and 4 being my favorites)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
go easy this is the filler, to bridge the void, it is like what empire strikes back was to a new hope and return of the jedi,
although it definetly wasnt written as well and lost a bit of the heart that was in the others.
she'll turn it around for book 7, although it's plot will be even more predictable, harry destroys horcruxes, kills voldermort, everyone cheers,
Harry - 'how u doing'
Ginny - *giggles*
many red heads with glasse s
the end

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Shhh... you're giving it away... :-P

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
What, you don't think ESB was a great movie in it's own right? How many other films have you seen where the good guys lose every single battle, but you still walk out feeling good? *That* takes talent.

Seems a bit silly to enter a contract for so long... like the Red Hot Chili Peppers signing a 7 record deal. It's like, so many things can change, and so many things can happen. And if you leave then you get sued. What's wrong with 3 books deals or something?

Hey Pele, what's the stolen concept? I'm a D&D player myself, but can't be bothered to spend money on Harry Potter right now.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
one thing i noticed by the time i finnished this last one was how far this book had strayed from the feel and format of the first book, the focus, the writing have all changed alot since the first book, of course ts all part of the same story overall, but it just felt like the perspective had changed

one of the things ive always disliked about the HP books was the recycling of standard or previously used fantasy ideas, i mean its not like there arent any other books that tell the story of a orphan child who lead a miserable life until they are told or discover they are special

Dumbledore is hardly a new character, came first as Merlin in King Arthur and then as Gandalf in Lord of the `Rings, Wormtail/Wormtounge , the second HP book reminded me immensly of Redwall, which i read when i was little

i know that she could of thought of many of the ideas on her own, and that you cant help but be infuenced by the ideas in the world around you, i just cant help feeling slightly miffed when i read the HP books, knowing that she didnt come up with many of these concepts,[though most of her youngest readers probaly think so}

though, filthy hypocrite that i am, i still love the books

peace
Lyra
confused

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sethis, I am PM-ing you about it. I can only explain it with the tiniest spoiler.

Lyra, I don't mind the re-use of visual concepts (Sage old wizard, young, innocent "apprentice"). It's the outright theft of a concept that I have issues with.

This book was beyond predictable. I could have mapped the entire book after the second chapter, which means the book only needed what, 50 pages? That was so incredibly annoying to me. It seems JK is still treating her readers as if they are still in 4th grade, though I know far more adults who read her books than kids my sons age. They all think they are too long now and get boring.
Her grasp of foreshadowing as a literary tool is nil and her attempts fail miserably and give away the entire thing.

I also must agree that the last book is either going to be even longer, or it is going to be hurried and bumbling, because she has left too much to solve in the last one, unless she does intend to continue. But Lyncanthrope is right about how it will go.

I also have to add, has anyone noticed that she still writes the kids the same? As if they have not grown up? The physical descriptions should be very different. So should some of their language, not just the intro of lust.
AND..I am critically annoyed at their "magic" lessons. It truly feels like they have not progressed at all (ie: Harry in Potions, he should be able to do that stuff if he passed his OWL). It just makes me think that they are in secondary school and still practicing their elementary skills instead of progressing. I swear as they get older they are either getting dumber or weaker (ie: one of the scenes with Harry and Dumbledore towards the end...Harry created a Patronus and fought off Dementors 3 books ago, under more pressure and now that scene reverts him to what...year 1? Please!! It's inconsistent BS.)

(and notice I did that without a spoiler? wink )

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Im only on page 207, but loving every second of it!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
aw. when this post went up i was getting into my witch costume smile i was performing at one of the opening parties biggrin and now i have finished my book im not quite sure what to do with myself. hence the return to hop wink

if i could be a busy busy bee...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I agree with UCOF.

Dont listen to her, she must be on drugs. umm

wink

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
Maybe I'm a bit of a snob but I automatically dislike anything with this amount of hype around it. Everywhere I went on Saturday there was Harry @#$%ing Potter. I went to see Spamalot in the afternoon and there were even people in the theatre reading the damn thing in the interval!!!

I expect I'll read them eventually but not until people are saying, "It doesn't feel like Christmas without a Harry Potter film on the telly..."

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Written by: Pele

I agree with UCOF.

Dont listen to her, she must be on drugs. umm

wink

That makes 2 of us wink

Seriously tho, I do agree with you both. The first few books were great - I loved the way the stories and characters got progressively more involved and darker, along with the characters and dialogue (within the contraints of the wizard-school scenario) - the fact that Sirius died because of Harry's truculence and (hormone-fuelled boyish) arrogant reluctance to do as he was advised/told was masterful .

But that last book was rubbish - full of fill and very little plot and distinctly lacking in the graphic descriptive and narrative set-pieces the other books were full of.

I believed then that Rowling had ceased to be hungry to create a great piece of CHILDREN's fiction and gave into producing a winner. I fail to see how all the hype helps anyone other than Warner Brothers and her.

But having come this far, i will be reading it - in fact I'm deliberately NOT buying it until next week. I'll be unemplyoed, the sun will come out and i can lie in the garden and read it all day til i finish ubbrollsmile

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I have to disagree on a few points.

Firstly, one of the things that I love about Rowling's world is that the characters DO grow up, they DO change. She describes their changes, both physically and psychologically.
Secondly, the first 3 books are fairly easy-going, it's not until the end of book 4 when Voldemort is back in power does it begin to get dark and more adult.
I've got a little way through Book 7 and am absolutely loving it. Straight away there was excitement and danger and sadness.

It is so easy to criticise Harry Potter, I know, I used to hate it! But I have so much respect for her work, I love how it appeals to people of all ages, and I think she has done a wonderful thing to get kids reading again.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
ditto re: kids reading and i agree with you on the charachters growing up (didn't make anough distance between me and Jon/Pele on that point) - but I don't like the hype and was disappointed with the last one.

Sounds like i won't be disappointed with this one - really looking forward to it biggrin

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Well, I got given it as a present this weekend, but I have never read books 5 and 6, so I think I might even start again witht eh first book and work my way through - can't remember much about what happened except in the first two books.

I like them - not enough to queue at midnight or get completely excited about it all - but I think they are good stories. It's pure escapism really. Yeah, a lot is recycled but I quite like that about them in a way - she uses mythology and archetypes that a lot of people really connect with and can relate to already.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Page: