PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So I was talking with PWB and we were commenting on how everyone is a snob about something.

We agree we are snobs about remake movies, book-to-movies or worse comic book-to-movies.

I am a complete snob about:
plants- they need to be real and not plastic
less-than "professionals"- people who claim to be professionals who are less than in any aspect of performing (presentation, business, costuming, etc.)
burlesque- it is *not* stripping with a theme
bellydance- *read above*
flash tattoos- please be original and have it mean something

I have friends who are chocolate snobs, wine snobs, beer snobs. One is an absolute grammar snob.

PWB is a complete vehicle snob. If it's rice it ain't right. lol

None of these, I might add, are in a rude capacity. It just makes them really funny to be around when something they concider "less than" is around.

What are you a snob about? ...everyone is in some way, and it is not a bad thing! It just means you have a high standard. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I am a snob about books...I have to have new books...I refuse to have second hand books or borrow books from a library....

I hate the thought of having thousands of people previously reading the book and putting their hands over all the pages...*shudder*

weird I know.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

yeah i'm grammar snob too. not to a huge extent, obviously i'm not that particular about punctuation, but people that write, for example, "there" in situations where it should be "their" or "they're" piss me right off.

And i agree on the bellydance... i am not a stripper.

(Can i defend rice just a little? There's nothing wrong with a nice sleek Japanese import, as long as you don't go stupid with the bling...)

i'm probably a snob about lots of things actually... i can't think of any more just now though.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
No Fox,

You certainly aren't particular about punctuation!

And I think the imperfections you describe belong to the realm of spelling rather than grammer.

As well, a true grammar snob (me!!!!!!) would pick you up on 'people that write....'

'People who write', surely. eek wink

Now having established my credentials as a snob, I've also probably disproved them, as a REAL snob wouldn't even communicate with someone they thought beneath them!

So maybe I'm just a picky b*tch!

As for 'ricing' cars.. well, I drive a Suburu and would fall about laughing if someone tried to snob it in favour of a Ford!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Im a snob about
1- Books (esp Anne Rice Books)
2- Kids behaving bad / showing no respect
3- Music snob
4- Water snob
£- crisp snob

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
as in you dont like Anne Eice books?

Do we sleep when we die?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Coffee--Please, arabica beans. And Fair Trade, please. Slave labor is sooo last decade!

Rubber wrist bands. Please...wear them only when they support a social cause (Livestrong Campaign, Live for a Cure, Breast Cancer, Gay Marriage, etc.). Don't just wear rip-off ones to be cool.

I'll have to think about other things but for now...off to work!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
i am the vampire lestat.............

snobby about schools sometimes, not my fault its been programmed into me from the very beginning,
me-"mum can i go to a public or catholic school"
mum-"lmao lmao lmao why dont you just join the circus"
me - "hmmm"
eeksee really not my fault

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
pele said "if it ain't rice it ain't right" confused i'm not a car person at all (as long as it goes i'm happy! tongue ) so i have no idea what that means!! ubblol

yay for the rubber wrist band snobs! ubblol i think i'm one of those too. i've seen tons of people wearing yellow ones...i have no idea what they're for though! i have one for sids (sudden infant death syndrome) & then i saw all these stupid rip off ones! pfft!

i'm probably a snob about...other stuff. ubblol i'm sure there's something else! tongue

ooooh i know! emails that you get seven times!! especially when i work in an office with less than 30 people & they all get the email then a bunch of people decide that it's the funniest or sweetest thing ever so they just have to send it on!! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I'm snobby about A LOT of things...

1) Things that I pay for. They mustn't be crap. I refuse to pay for crap.

2)I'm the same with book-to-film movies. I really want to see one that hasn't had the director/whoever change the plot (is that the right word?) or at least change events in a story. Or miss bits out. I know, time is an issue, but some really good bits and valuable information gets missed out so often!

3) My spinning/juggling/sticking/guitar playing/in fact everything I do. I want to do things perfectly everytime. Not such a good point about myself, but I always think and wish I could do better.

too many other things to list.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
ketchup

I cant do the cheap stuff.
Heinz or All gold(36 tomatoes crammed into every bottle!)
I even carry sachets of heinz in my bag incase I go eat somewhere where they only provide the watered-down stuff.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
My parents are middle class snobs and i went to a really snobby school.
It programmed me into being a snob myself and I have spend the last few years trying to be less snobby.

Now most of my snobbery is to do with parenting/role models etc because i work with kids

Grammar - How are children supposed to learn what is correct if their parents are saying stuff like 'you aint getting none' etc..
Swearing - I hate it when people swear infront of children (esp when it is actually aimed at the child). I would never swear infront of my parents or any of my friends parents and it makes me cringe when i hear other people do it!
I could rant about swearing for ages
Smoking - infront of children, esp young kids.

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
I am a bit of a music snob...I hate it about myself tooredface...For instance if I really like a band, and then all of the sudden they get really popular, it bothers me...I know it should not (espicially since I am all about good bands getting the money they deserve), but it does. I like to have the "special band" that no one else knows about....
...there are more things, I am sure, but I can't think of them now...I shall add later...

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Parenting: ooooh...yeah...I'm a parenting snob too. And if the (young) kids show disrespect, I completely blame the parent.

Fabric: I can not wear nasty, scratchy, icky 100% polyester or an acrylic sweater. It doesn't look or feel right.

Self-Induced Ignorance: When people talk, or worse, teach about something they know nothing about. Or when they watch one video and think they know everything. It doesn't take much to research anything anymore, just a few clicks, so this particularly gets me.

And let me reiterate..Flash Tattoos- I figured out last night this is what I am absolutely *the* most snobby about when I asked someone about their tattoo and they said, "I walked in and it looked good on the wall so I figured it would look good on me." It gave me such tight booty and I had to fight to not say something. Made PWB laugh.

A Water snob? As in drinking water or only wanting to swim in crystal clear water?

The wrist rubber bands. I have a recent story about that...PWB's brother showed up wearing an orange one (to stop smoking) the other day. We asked him what it meant. When he said we asked him if he was going to stop smoking and he made a funny face and said "No". WTF????

Gita:
"Rice" about a car doesn't refer simply to the make of the car, it refers to what is done to the car. Many people will go out and purchase race-style additions to a car such as an oversized muffler pipe (that is called a coffee can), a *huge* multi-level wing on the back (a razor head), a scoop hood, and put it on their (usually) japanese made car, which makes all of these things useless and for vanity only. Most of the time, it is done pretty poorly as the real adjustments can be quite pricey.
Then they will deck it out in underbelly neon, tint the glass to an illegal darkness, put colored covers on the headlights and complain that the cops are out to get them when they get pulled over. *That* is ricing.
PWB has drag raced his truck on a legit track and won awards, so his adjustments have been useful (lowered, scoop hood, ground effects all to lower wind resistance). Then he is a mod on a car/truck bb where kids come on and use incorrect terms when they rice up their cars. Drives him crazy, but it is funny as hell for me to watch. ubblol
Newgabe, Ford is good for work trucks. That's it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh rice means that. Thought it meant Asian.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I'm with Phae'xorl on the music snob thing-I always feel like I have to be the first of my friends to hear of a new band. I also definately am a snob about book-to-movies, partly because my mom has always told me I have to read the book before I see the movie.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
i think im generally a snob with most things, cant really pick out a few.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I'm not really sure, there are probably plenty of things though.

Not sure if these fit, but oh well

I suppose with bands, I try to get into the more unknown bands, and I was a fan of GC back around 2000 when no one had heard of them out here, then when Lifestyles came out everyone was their biggest fan because it was "cool to be a GC fan" and I am like that with other bands too... thats just one of the worst.

Barbies: no not the style of cooking (as in Barbecue) or the doll, I mean the people, the girls who look like they are made out of plastic and always have the latest fashions, even if they dont like them, just to fit in...

umm... not sure what else...

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Equipment. Any music or computer electronics i buy have to be new. I dont know why and its cost a lot of money instead of just buying second hand but i just cant bring myself to buy preowned.

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'm only a snob about non physical things like behavior and attitude and people who can't speak english (or write it for that matter)

Why do some people say of instead of have?
Eg "I would of except she was there instead" They're two different bloody words with different meanings!!
Any scottish people who don't do this?
grrrrrr!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I think people get confused with 'would have' and 'would of' because people like me use 'would've' and it gets misheard biggrin

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
pele - thanks muchly for clearing that up!! biggrin now i'm a little disturbed... ubblol i've seen the cars all done up like that...i don't get it! but that's just me!! the people who do that seem to love it & take care of their cars, so yay for them!! biggrin

to add another one to my list...add me to the book-to-movie thing too!! ubblol i've yet to see a decent book-to-movie effort!! biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh... WINE.

I am such a wine snob. Wine does not come from boxes. Anything coming out of a box might be *called* wine, but it isn't really wine. Furthermore, wine should never be advertised. Not in print, not on TV, not on the radio.

A good wine need not be expensive; one of the best bottles I ever had was US$3.99. But wine is an art.

I'm also a tea snob. No lipton for me. Tetley, Typhoo, etc... all fine.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura