Page:
lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
ok so i've been smoking for about 2 years now and have kept it quiet from my parents.
i was poi-ing in my back garden just now and also had a cigarette and my dad opens the back door. i fling my fag really quickly in hope he doesnt notice but he had to have, or otherwise he must be stupid.
i dont know what to do if i'm confronted about it as my parents will probably do worse to me than what they would if i came home pregnant because of their religous values and personal things.
i'm so scared.
frown

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
if you're a regular smoker, and your parents haven't noticed, then they aren't very observant. The smell of cigrette smoke gets in your hair, on your clothes, on your breath etc, it's pretty hard to miss. I'd a) give up (i smoked when i was younger and gave up, mainly cause it's a disgusting habbit and cost too much) and b) don't say anything till they do. Take this scare as a wake up call, and if they do say anything, just say you were experimenting, and hated it.

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
well i must say this is very interesting.

lauz you will be fine hug if they kick you out you can come and live with me! you know i will always be there for you.

Aimee: I have to say wow! that is so funny ubblol i had to stop reading twice because i couldn't stop laughin through your post. (thanx it brightened up my day hug)

UCOF: i have to point out that you smoke tobacco. tongue

i smoke and it is a really nasty habbit. and i, along with many other smokers, would love to quit and i have tried. however when all things go wrong with your life and smoking and poi-ing are your only joys and the only things that make you happy it's real hard to give one up. you start to quit then it all goes wrong again.

i have to agree with arty farty. KEEP LYING LAUZ!!! i know your parents and life will be so much easier for you (and me) if they don't know!

hughughughug

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I suggest you endevor to be abducted by space aliens. Claim that your species require nicotine to live, and they will synthesize it for you. This solves all problems listed thusfar.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Slightly offtopic , but I was talking to a manager at work whose been smoking for most of his life and he told me that, on average, he spends around $2500 on cigs every year. He's a pretty heavy smoker but thats still some pretty heafty cash, especially with nicotine prices going up. Besides the financial issue, smoking doesn't just reduce lifespan but also hurts your quality of life. Theres enough that can go wrong without hacking bits of your lungs out in a few years.

The parent thing, if they were my parents i'd say to tell them. The if you tell them they'll yell at you for smoking but maybe give you the "im proud of you for being honest" speach. If you lie, then you get yelled at for smoking and for lying, and you get no nice speach. But my parents aren't mormon, sooo shrug . You just gotta do what you think is right.

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

2,443 posts

Posted:
i know its expensive but i buy the cheapest (decentish quality cigarettes)that i can find.
well still waiting for my dad to say something but it probably wont happen just yet. i'll see what happens when my mum is back at home then maybe then would be best time to decide what to do.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
If he hasnt said anything then relax maybe he wont....I was scared to tell my mum that I smoked...i told her i smoked spliffs and she was grand but when i told her about smoking cigerettes she flipped. Shes ok now thou (but then again im 21 and dont live at home so shes got no choice) just relax hug

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
offtopic ewww, cheap cigs...should buy duty free's

id go with the flow, see how it plans out, wen my parents found out i was smoking it was hard but then it sorta became naturaul for me to have a ciggi with them...

hope everything goes well for ya hug

"if it wasnt for the last minute nothing would get done"
"inspiration comes from every experience of life"
"a life rich in soul is never tuneless"

2,443 posts

Posted:
thanks and they are duty free lol there richmond.
i'm not that cheap lol!!!!
my dad is being really nice to me all of a sudden. confused
well i shall see if he's up to anything then

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Aimee: I wish I had your relationship with my mother. She *says* that she's ok with me doing grown up stuff, but she pulls a face when I either have a girlfriend or (occasionally) go drinking. I think it's worse that she pretends she doesn't mind, because then she just has another stress to add to her load.

Much as I may agree with the principle of honesty, I find that it generally works in principle (hat hat hat rolleyes) but not in practice. I don't tell my mother every little detail of my life because she'd just shout at me or stress that I wasn't being careful enough or something. I think you need the freedom of lying by omission, even if it is just to work out what *you're* happy with, and not just copying your parent's point of view.

Having said that, I don't smoke, and can't really see the point of it. We*d at least gives you some kind of benefit... sort of.

Out of curiosity Lauz, are you allowed to drink coffee? I have a Mormon friend, and his parents don't let him drink it.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
Yeah it's 16years old.
Lauz it's damn hard. I started smoking when i was 12 and i kept thinking when my parents find out they are going to mental and i'm goning to die and i was so scared.
Well parents do find out(they have this way!) and it's never as bad as you think. I know u said about ur parents being religious. I also understand that. And from experience... don't let them catch you. Give up first(i stopped 2months ago,and the ONLY way to stop is if u really want to,it's a mind over matter thing)
Because back then i was 12 and knew everything and thought that when my parents cath me i'll just find some way arond it... U don't. There is no way around it. Again from experience,not with just my parents but lots of others...HONESTY is the best policy. And it's also the hardest, but thats what makes us the people we hope to be one day.
U've got the easy option - Lying. Everyone can do that. ''Those fags aren't mine there so an so's'' or throwing fags out the window as soon as u hear them coming. Dosen't work, they stink. But lying and hiding is easy.
And u've got the hard option(u not gonna like this-i can understand why,but this is one of those times that WILL make u stronger by being honest) Tell them. But do it tactfuly,don't just walk in with a fag one day and say,hi dad , i smoke.(obviouslly u won't do that. But wait till they both in a good mood(this helps the situation. Tell them u want to talk but u're too scared of telling them and how to tell them,u also dont want them to freak out,but u've realised that lying is wrong and hurtful,hence y u telling them and work it from there.

These are one of the isssues that if leave it for them to find out it's worse.....

Good Luck
XOX

Sure they will be dissapointed in you, but deception is WORSE than smoking

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: lauz the caterpilla

my dad is being really nice to me all of a sudden. confused
well i shall see if he's up to anything then

Is he creating a space where you would be comfortable raising the issue with him? I'd suggest he's known for a while and is trying to open the door (so to speak) to discuss the issue...

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
My dad went into the glove compartment of my car looking for something without asking me a while back. Next time I was in the car, I noticed some naughty, well, 'herbs' that I'd left there because I didn't want to take them in the house were missing!

Utter panic followed. I thought about trying to talk to my dad about it before he said anything to my mum, how mad he'd be, e.t.c. e.t.c. general 'oh crap, what am I going to do!?'

I found my naughty herbs on the floor of the car a bit later. I think he must have knocked them out of the glove compartment without noticing... if he did see them, he's never said a word about it. Parents are not always as observant as we think!

I'd keep quiet until they say something about it. Parent lectures do tend to make you think more about quitting anyways, because they get so upset about their baby doing what they think of as self mutilation (guilt tripping alweays works with me though).

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

2,443 posts

Posted:
thanks for all the advice again.
well hopefully he wont say anything before i go to falmouth as i dont want my happy mood being ruined. i think i will just wait and see what happens. if he does say anything though i need to be prepared for it coz i wouldnt have a clue what to say.

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: arty farty

it seems to me that as you've been smoking, Lauz, for 2 yrs now your not going to be able to give up. (Yes everyone its not that easy).

how negative?

i smoked 'properly' for *counts on fingers* 4/5 years...and i managed it. it wasnt easy, still isnt easy, but it's totally worth it.

i'm not one of those scary converts who go round breaking fags in half or whatever...but from experience i feel about 350923457037 times better now (i can walk up hills!) and i really would encourage every smoker to quit.

lauz, being honest with your parents only works up to a point. just play it by ear...if they sit down and say they want to talk to you, just do a relieved looking face thing and say 'good, because i really need to talk to you too'..if they ignore it then stay silent. and smoke somewhere else.

2,443 posts

Posted:
thanks for all the advice. my mums now out of hospital so if anything is said will be within the next 2 days before i leave so fingers crossed now.

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
good luck n see ya at falmouth

2,443 posts

Posted:
cool another person to meet biggrin who else is going just out of curiosity?

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Me! WIll i be required to bring an anti smokey pokey stick? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Here's a stupid Australian thing:

You can smoke when you are 16 (legally) but no one is allowed to sell or supply anyone under the age of 18 with cigarettes...hmmm.....

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
confused i don't get that confused

THWACK!!!!

2,443 posts

Posted:
i wont smoke when i'm next to you vixen so you dont have to suffer because of me. smile
i dont get that australian thing either although u can have sex her at 16 but you cant buy dildo's lol.

well everything is fine so far.
anymore falmouth people?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Yeah, *have* sex at 16, can't watch it or go into sex shops or anything until 18. Very crazy laws here... Makes no sense.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

2,443 posts

Posted:
i know its all very silly.

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
lol...indeed.... funny how a topic on cigs changes to sex....hmmm....

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
it's great isn't. we were all serious and somehow we end up being silly. ubblol

THWACK!!!!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Have a look at the Falmouth thread in Events, Lauz.... lots there. Funny when you said your parents were Mormons I just assumed you were in the US.. Didin;t even know they had them anywhere else. Are they missionaries or something?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
no they aren't. lauz's mum comes from Australia and her dad has always lived in England but he joined the church when he was 19 I think.

she's my best friend that's why i know all of this biggrin

THWACK!!!!

2,443 posts

Posted:
no he was 21 lol. theres mormons world wide every where its rather scary. they're nice people there just far to over the top on religion.

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Yes, you can buy cigarettes at 16 in a shop in the UK. Personally im trying to give up at the moment. Im 32 now, and started smoking regularly when i was about 20. Over the years the addiction has increased, and tho i im on about 10 a day (not classified as a 'heavy smoker'), im finding it near impossible to give up. I think if i had stopped a few years back i could have quit no problem. I bought some nicotine gum this morning - its disgusting but seems to do the trick...

Tomorrows World isnt on anymore...Does that mean its tomorrow now?

2,443 posts

Posted:
cool. how disgusting is it?
i may try to quit but i'm not sure if i want to really.

Page: