Page:
lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
ok so i've been smoking for about 2 years now and have kept it quiet from my parents.
i was poi-ing in my back garden just now and also had a cigarette and my dad opens the back door. i fling my fag really quickly in hope he doesnt notice but he had to have, or otherwise he must be stupid.
i dont know what to do if i'm confronted about it as my parents will probably do worse to me than what they would if i came home pregnant because of their religous values and personal things.
i'm so scared.
frown

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
How about giving up the ciggies? Your parents obviously love you and don't want you to die earlier than you should. As with any drug it’s your choice but for the price of a years nicotine addiction you could purchase one aerotech or go on holiday. Basically don't waste your money. If your parents confront you about it just say you were just experimenting and as its a waste of money and life you've thought better of it - take the grown up approach and confront the issue rather than lie.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

2,443 posts

Posted:
thanks but its not quite as simple as that with my parents. religion rules their lifes and makes them different people for it. i need to find a solution that wont get me locked up forever or thrown out basically and i dont know how to work my way around that

JustwalkMember
68 posts

Posted:
What religion was it that forbids smoking?

2,443 posts

Posted:
there mormons and very strict with it

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Or you could read Allen Carr's book the Easyway to give up smoking. That'll stop you in your tracks.

If i were you i'd either stop or tell your folks. And if you're below 18 i'd definately stop. Aerotechs and holidays (but especially aerotechs smile) are much more fun ubbrollsmile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

2,443 posts

Posted:
smile
its not so easy to just quit though.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: lauz the caterpilla

there mormons and very strict with it

Do everything you can do hide it from them. You don't want to piss them off too much, so be subtle. ie. Don't smoke in garden unless they're in Greece on holiday etc. Failing that go to the park. And chew gum.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

2,443 posts

Posted:
i've hid it for 2 years my dad wasnt supposed to be back from work untill six and just sprung the door open. i'm real scared smoking sex and alcohol all have to be greatly hidden from my parents or i will become known as the spawn of satan and hated.
i've only just turned 16 i dont want to be homeless or locked away. ubbcrying

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
then stop smoking. read Allen Carr. It's more fun than you think. Easy for me to say at 26 and living away from home, but it's that time that you didn't want to come, and it has come.

Btw, what do you like about it?

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

JustwalkMember
68 posts

Posted:
Hey, just chill and be positive... maybe he wouldn't say anything because he simply couldn't believe what he saw... I mean he probably can't even imagine his baby girl is smoking.

But if your parents are really that strict with religion you should be more careful and cut back a bit on the 'bad habits'.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
You have ny sympathy,i started smoking at a young age and my parents found out when i was 15,and understandably hit the roof.It suprised me that something that just really douesn't seem like a big deal can cause such massive rifts.I'm now 20,and alas still smoking,and after having tried numerous methods i'm still unable to quit the dirty stick,however.......i did manage to give up whilst i was 16,and really wish i'd never started again as it gets a lot harder the older you get.
As for the parent thang,be honest,i know its the hardest thing to do,but for that reason alone your parents should respect you for coming clean.
Good luck!!XXXXXXXXX

2,443 posts

Posted:
yeah i'm taking all this into consideration i just dont want to dissapoint them as well they think of me highly but would also screw if they knew which i think they do now.
i'm tempted to be honest but on the same terms not to be

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
How about this:

"Mom, Dad, I want to talk to you. Don't yell at me until I'm done because yelling at me won't accomplish anything.

"I've smoked for two years and I want to quit, but it's not so easy. I need to do this on my own, but I need help. Will you help me make a doctor appointment?"

That says "I'm honest, I know I'm wrong, and I want to make it right."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

2,443 posts

Posted:
fair enough fair enough but it really really isnt that easy!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Honey, I know it isn't that easy.

I'll probably write a HOP article on quitting smoking at some point.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: lauz the caterpilla

fair enough fair enough but it really really isnt that easy!

From your perspective lauz, what's the main problem-

the fact that you've got a smoking habit

or

the situation with your parents religious attitude/ their view of you if they realise you're a smoker

?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
What smoking does to your lungs. Its pretty gross.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
No, it's not easy, but no one said it is and just because it isn't easy doesn't mean you can't do it. There often isn't an easy way out, but effort is often worth it smile

Good luck!

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Actually if you Really do want to quit it is easy...it is only hard if you don't have the will to quit in which case you don't really want to quit in the first place.

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
wow, your positions just like what mine was a few years back.
untill you get your drivers licence what your parents dont know wont hurt them.......
but smoking is bad.
have you seen John Saffran Vs. God
"extreme mormons" very very funny

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lycanthrope

have you seen John Saffran Vs. God
"extreme mormons" very very funny

ubblol
Saffran is funny, but the chances of someone in the US seeing an Australian TV show that poke fun at religions are slightly less than spontaneous combustion!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Picture the scene. Aimée aged 14, caught smoking at school, school get mum to pick Aimée up. That drive home was the scariest thing I have ever been through. "Mum your going 70 in a 30 zone, please slow down!!" ubblol
Things would be easier if you quit, get the support and advice from the resources suggested. If you don't want to/can't quit then come clean with your parents. Now that you're 16 its legal, and you can explain its a life choice that you have chosen. Explain you're going to respect their wishes of not smoking in the house/garden, and really theres fudge all they can do about it. (well not really, but you see my point)

I found that my relationship with my mum got better a) after her and dad got divorced and b) after I started being more honest with her. I don't know what your parents are like, but I can be 99%..ok..70% sure that your parents reaction won't be as bad as you expect it to be.

I'm open with my mum now and its great, although she may not agree with some of the things I do, she repects my choices and trusts that I will tell her something if it needs to be told.
Couple of weeks back I was given a present from my mum of a burns first aid kit for the Hastings spin, I open it and amongst the plasters ect I am greeted with the site of of 12 flavoured condoms ubblol Being open is better for you. You know when you're in a friendship/relationship where you're comfortable enough to fart in front of one another? Its like that. You don't have to keep anything bottled up inside!! ubblol

Things won't always be easier in the short term, but in the long term being honest will benefit yourself an your family smile
Hope things turn out ok for you hug hug

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I have a question for all you UKers who are saying it is legal to smoke when you turn 16. Can you legally buy cigarettes in a store at that age? In the states, it is illegal for someone to purchase cigs unless they are at least 18 years old.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I agree with Aimee and eveyone else who says be honest is best.

I used to hide everything from my folks when i was a teenager and now, I am open and honest with my folks and our relationship is a gazillion times better than it was.

Spritie...yup 16 is the legal age to buy fags in the UK

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*note- Fags in that context means cigarettes* wink

Lauz: at least you wernt smoking a sp*iff. ubbangel

I really dont understand quite why people start smoking cigarettes. You get nothing out of it other than a 20 second nicotine rush. And this gets negated the longer you smoke, ie- the more you smoke, the more you need to get the same effect.

juggle

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
it's easy for me to say things like that cos i never started.
so i will just say i think you shood try and quit but i can't say too much on a matter i don't know much about

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
UCOF, I actually knew that one, but thanks for the clarification. biggrin I'm frequently lost with British slang.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
naughty girl lol

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
it seems to me that as you've been smoking, Lauz, for 2 yrs now your not going to be able to give up. (Yes everyone its not that easy). If a smoker doesnt give up in the first year it becomes dramitically harder to give up the yr after that and so on. Therefore if your not going to give up, and if your parents havent yet confronted you about it, KEEP LYING. I didnt have to lie to my parents, as they smoked as well, but i had to lie about the drugs, until they found out about that too, OOPS! Go with the "IM trying new things" phrase and say you'll never do it again, then go and smoke in the park, like earlier suggested. If you were 18 Id say TELL THE TRUTH smile, but your not; and parents arent prepared to let a 16 make their own decisions.

Anyway if you give up by the time your 25 smoking has little effect on your body for the rest of your life (this is true as I read the 'give up smoking' leaflet). What we should all be saying though is give up now whilst its easier and you havent developed such as social addiction to the habbit.

Hope that helped Lauz GOOD LUCK XXX

You'll find me on the dance floor

2,443 posts

Posted:

i would be honest with my parents if they werent so physcopathic even my friends (SNOOPoi etc) get shouted at for it. i'd get 100 times worse. if i knew i could tell them without them shouting at me or thinking i'm satans heir to the throne. also now wouldnt be the best time to be honest as my mum has now been in hospital for nearly a month and i dont want to make her feel worse.
it does get me in a state but i'm not all up for quiting as i enjoy smoking and will die one day anyway.
i still need to decide what i'm going to do.

true its good i wasnt smoking a sp**ff although i may have been more chilled about it at the time.
arty farty you must know me to well lol.

i havent been confronted yet but that might have something to with the fact my mums in hospital so i will see if he says anything once she comes out.

Page: