LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
I've lived in Zimbabwe all my life and loved every second of it, i have my friends,my family,my pets, my schools... everything that makes up this place called home. Part of that is also my bestfriend of the past 7years. Because of what Zim is becoming i thought i'd be best to get out for a while an try something new,so idid and well...here i am! biggrin
Last week my mom came over to see me and as a suprise my bestfriend(Stacey)...who gave birth to my godchild 3months ago was going to come with her.
Not only do i think i would have passed out seeing her,but it didn't happen.
Her visa got denyed on the grounds that they ''thought she wasn't coming back'' . Can they do that? We had all the documentation that they required.bank statements my housing lease(i live with my sister so she did all this behind my back!!
). blah blah u name it we had it.My parents,and hers tried all they could, besides that a RETURN ticket had been booked already and we had a commisioner of oaths vouch for us that she was indeed coming home, it was denyed. angry
At the moment we re-appealing but it doesn't look too hopeful.
I'm not a big fan of visa's passports or how the whole system works but surely they can't do that..just cause ''they think''
No wonder why zim is going the way it is.... too many people r thinking.....

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Sadly, yes any government granting visa's can do that. Even if you jump through all their hoops, you are never guaranteed that you will be granted a visa.

Was her young daughter planning on going with her? If not, and leaving her 3 month old behind, then I'm amazed that they would think she wasn't returning. However, if she was taking the baby with her, then it somewhat makes sense to me that the government would see her as fleeing with her baby to make a new life for the both of them.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Was it the Zim Govt or the UK govt that denied the visa? Sounds like the UK govt... or do you need an exit visa for Zim?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
gah thats ridiculous!.. *shakes head*

mm yes, perhaps Zimbabwe needs exit visas?.. don't know a whole lot about this, i'm afraid!

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
her 3month daughter was coming with. I can see why they think that she wants a 'new life' but thier other excuse is that she had no family ties in Zim. What %&£($ . Her parents,4sisters,1brother and the father of her child... It was the Zim. which is what i don't understand because u don't need a visa to leave!!!
Although...yes it gets better!!!! When i go back there in Dec,even after living there my whole life and having a Zimbabwean ID,because i'm white i have to go in on a visa.
What a joke??!!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Sigh.

It's awful that things have become so bad there.

Can your family leave? Is that even feasible?

hug

Getting to the other side smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
This story confuses me... If you don't need an exit visa to leave Zim, how could they deny one? So it was the UK Govt? ( but it sounds like the Zim because you are talking about 'coming back, too many people in Zim thinking etc) OR are you saying somehow the UK Govt seeks permission from the Zim before granting entry visas?

In any direction I am so sorry for this happening.... Your friend Stacey and many other must feel sick ....that people can be 'trapped' by bureacracy in this deteriorating situation. It reminds me of what happened to Jews in Germany and Russia being persecuted and not being allowed to leave/settle in safer places...

Immigration always seems to be one of the scariest depts of govt. Ours here (australia) has put asylum seekers and refugees into hideous pseudoprisons (run for profit by US corporations!) for years. Including children.

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear laday,
is it hard to get a visa to visit Zim? i've wanted to go visit there for years.

Do we sleep when we die?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Have a look at Tadpole's recent posts, DF: not such a good time to visit Zim unfortunately....

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
A year and a half ago, it was super easy to get a visa to visit Zim. You just paid the appropriate fee in cash at the airport in Zim and were allowed in. There was no high tech equipment there (i.e. just a man, a line, and money), so I'm pretty sure they were not doing background checks on people.

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Yeah i've read Tadpole's posts, but the entire place cant be that bad can it?
I don't need to worry about background checks, never been in trouble with the law.

Do we sleep when we die?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yes, DP, I believe from what I read and hear that it is indeed very bad. Beautiful country with a wonderful culture and people currently ruled by a very bad group of people. There is another thread here called 'is Mugabe another Hitler' that might give you an idea.

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
It's anamzing place,so wild and so free. It's the place i don't only come from but where my whole life is.And to see it torn,ripped apart,literally right in front of my eyes,there's only one word to describe how i feel.Hopeless.

Yar,Tadpole is my brother and to her it form him i know it has to be that bad cause he never moans or complains There's a vibe over the whole country,and it's not the happy kind of vibe. Peolpe are dying and left with nothing.