Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Taking the Initiative/Festival of World Cultures Busking

Login/Join to Participate

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I'm taking the initiative and starting up the Dun Laoghaire Festival of World Cultures thread. wave

For those who don't already know, we've been offered some busking spots at the Festival of World Cultures...

Dr Fandango and I have already spoken to the lady organising it all and we have booked a couple of the evening spots (6pm-8pm).

The pitches are of various sizes and positions across town - but they are expecting 60,000 people to attend... so we should get quite a crowd.

The organiser spoke of a big space that she seemed to think would suit us well...

However, she doesn't want lots of people contacting her, and we don't want to be double-booked, so I thought we could get something sorted here. Then Dr F can get back to her with our plans.

So what do you think? Would people like to take small pitches and fend for themselves? Or could we all do a big show, putting more emphasis on entertaining, making a bigger impression and having people going round with the hats?!!

(Lol, my preference is the big show biggrin)

Post your thoughts here biggrin

Take care
Clare x

Getting to the other side smile

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
big show big show big show ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco biggrin weavesmiley bounce2 bounce

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thank you missus.

Anyone else?

I'm heading to Uber/Falmouth tomorrow... so I'll be seeing you all in a couple of weeks (if not at Uberness biggrin)

Take care and safe travels
Clare xx

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
PM me if you want drummers or other firedancers of high experience and calimaburrrrrr!!!

Best of luck!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Big show sounds good to me.

Remember what the doormouse said

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
DeepSoulSheep - are you coming home?!!!!

Am I finally going to meet you?!!

biggrin

Splendid

hug

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
No not yet I'm afraid but we'll meet some time in the future. Defo want to be home for the EJC 2006!!!! ubbrollsmile

I know people that were drumming at that last year though so if you want some music I can put you in touch...

I also know fire performers, jugglers, stilters in Dublin if you're short...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I'm sure we'll be grand... but it'd be great to have the numbers of any fire performers in Dublin we haven't found yet!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Do you know Emily Ross, Ariel Killick, Christina, Marian or Emmet...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yeah, we know Ariel (French girl?!), but I'm not sure about the rest.

Maybe Lisa or Dec would, but they aren't on here so often these days.

I shall ask biggrin

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I know Emmet (provided that he's the same Emmet of course...) Don't think i have a number for him though

And i am going to be around for the festival after all (thought i still wouldn't be back from EJC Slovenia, but i've changed my plans) - although it looks like i'll be volunteering there - not spinning - possibly co-ordinating the busking spots by the sound of it

Should be fun smile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
Helen ,cloudie i have ye both on my shortlist. clare, hows about if you get the heads from Belfast together and i'll get the dubs and other straglers?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... as I said on the other thread (god this is confusing)... the only ones from belfast will be myself, Colleen and possibly Diana.

Sorted.

We just need to hear from anyone else interested.

I reckon we'll be grand with one large space (where at least 4/5 of us could perform at once) - and put on a big show... fire, acro, diabolo (maybe?!!) etc.

We'll need to get some reliable drumming/music sorted out too.

So the list so far:

Barry
Helene
Helen
Darrell
Clare
Colleen
Diana

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
cool hopefully we can get the comedy fire show happening by then. ubbloco

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
tongue

ubbloco

ubblol

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

761 posts

Posted:
well said lisa. i knew you could be trusted to put so elequently the way we all feel this friday bank holiday evening.
shall you be joining our group in dun laoghaire?
Declan will you be going?
any other irish spinners that want to go, let me know so i'll have a full list, perhaps you may even just let me know if you WONT be going so i'll know not to hold you on a maybe list. i will be phoning the organiser next week to provide a list of names and make an appeal for fuel/fuel money. so i'd realy like to hear from anyone that intends going. thanks to everyone in advance for your co-operation.

Much love
Dr.F
see yous in da green on sunday!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice work Dr F... and great to see you again Lisa biggrin

Hope all is sorting itself out for you lady hug

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Not sure about going to Dun loaghaire Doc. Dont think i will go at this stage. Sounds like a lot of fun though

Grow old but never grow up

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

hug

firebyrdSILVER Member
154 posts

Posted:
hey Claire, sounds like fun you can count me in, you know I'm always up for it. Big show sounds like fun but would be hard to coordiante if there will be differnt factions meeting up without any time to put something solid together. Maybe a few short collaborative pieces put together by the people who have access to each other and then some busking to subsidise the travel expenses, I'll talk to you about it when I get home later in the week.

Take care D

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hey guys wave

unfortunately, i will NOT be participating frown

on the 24th of august i fly to frisco you see, enroute to burning man tongue

mwaahahahahaaa!!!!

ubbloco

by the way, my phone has been seriously on the blink so apologies for not replying to texts & such. the damn thing will only stay on for 5 mins at a time, will be getting a new one this week though....

hope all is well with all. was out busking with cameron & co last nite, lots of firey fun had devil

will ye all be at trinners tonite? please get off yer arses and make it down

oh and also, i met this french spinner from paris called Pierre the other nite in town. he know's Olive & Julian who were at Uberstaff/poi. small world.... ubbrollsmile

right, that's me done

hug2

&

kiss

L peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug

Hello stranger, good to see you, I've missed you!!!

So then, this Pierre... is he young?!! wink biggrin

Tee hee hee. I want all the details lady.

Anyways... woohoo bounce well done on getting the flights and suchlike sorted... are you all excited?!!

Dammit, when am I going to see you before you leave?!
I'll be at Play the weekend before.

Would you like to take a little trip up to Belfast?!! A kindof last minute adventure?!!

Pleeease smile

I stayed with Olive in Uberpoi... and met Julien in Falmouth.
Olive is hot - looks a bit like Keanu Reeves, and is a great double staffer.
Julien is lovely too - he wiggles smile and his fire fans are stunning (not to mention the fireworks!!)

Take care lady, hope to see you soon.

Lots of love and hugs
Clare xx

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Hokay Dokay, Put me in. Im Up for busking in a BIG way!!! I can also Bring my drum and slap it lustily for a few hours in between Juggling....

Might i be so bold as to propose a motion ?

That we begin putting together acts This Tuesday At "Trinners" or at least talk game tactics ? Nothing formal , just throwing some ideas at each other and then smoking them away.

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yes, yes!!

Good idea that man.

Just to add my two cents (although I suspect I have already redface)

I reckon we should put together something show-like - kindof like a mini fantasmagoria, with whatever skills we have available - and someone prepared to introduce it all (Barry, Angus?!!)

Use drums to entice the crowd.
Then a group of us playing together (we could have something simple choreographed in a couple of hours practice beforehand).
Then maybe diabolo (Eimhin?!!)
Or juggling or comedy mixed in with individual/paired fire dances... err, yeah, you get the idea biggrin

let me know!!

Take care and see you all soon xx

761 posts

Posted:
sounds delicious. see you tonight for a brainstorm people!

761 posts

Posted:
right, so fire is not permitted at the event because of an insurance complication 3 years ago. we need to get a list of performers willing to go on from 6-8 on the saturday. i'd like to put evryone on the one stage. i realy like the idea of an organised stage show with a compare. the list of performers thus far appears to be.

myself
Claire
Diane
Coleen
Cameron
Darrell.

if you want to take part, please let me know. i will be contacting the lady next week and she needs a definative list for to make busking permits.
after the show i think it might be nice to get a bit of burny busking in town. any ideas, how ever silly or disconnected to the topic, please post them up. does anyone want to compare? or even have any idea what they could do in a showy fashion.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think Eimhin is interested too (which would be great biggrin)

What about Ronan (haven't spoken to him)?!

Lisa, Aidan and Amelie will be away and I don't think Dec is up for it (though we'd love him to be biggrin biggrin biggrin)... what about Helen and Martin? Johnny? Aengus?

Barry, I'll give you a ring in the next couple of days - would you be able to call the Dublin people and ask who's interested... I don't think we should rely on this thread biggrin

Talk to you soon x

761 posts

Posted:
**NOTICE TO ALL IRISH PERFORMERS**

i am no lnger organising this event. if you wish to take part in the festivities in dun laoghaire busking is not 'permitted' without a licence. to get in touch with the organisers PM me and i'll send you a phone number. see y'all soon wink

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...plans seem to be changing constantly on this one. I won't be performing there anyway because i'll be working there anyway, as their merchandise person. Doubt Ronan will be there either, seeing as he's here at the EJC too. i did mention it to him though.

Hope the plans for the show work out, i'll definately come and see you all if i have time.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Wow, What a gloriuos mess... Well done for trying though, it was a valant attempt at trying to Get something together.

P.s. Barry , Your disclaimer is Genious !!!!

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.