_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I have a test in two days that i have to get 70% or higher to pass. I've got most of it memorized, but i'm haveing trouble with small details. Does anyone have good study tips that might be useful?

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
study with a friend
try differant ways of studying, make yourself quizzes, read it, make it into little songs, whatever you can do to remember things which isnt the usual method of studying.
Ive heard if you study just before you sleep you remember things better
Ive also heard if you have certain smells around you it improves memory.
umm... sorry, cant think of anything else at the moment

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
see that off button on your computer? press it :P

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
sorry to hijack this thread but ive got 2 re-sit exams for uni in 2 weeks eek and thats how long ive got to study and to pass, in the middle of this is play which im going so that give me less time, any help?
im so crap at getting myself organised to read it all, and theres so much! im doing psychology and i need to know bio and cog, all the brain bits and chemicals as well which is the hardest frown

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I suggest highlighting dates and small things you tend to forget in different colours, it will help you to remember. a

Try to assosiate certain things you need to remember with things in your life.

Read everything outload so you not only take it in when you read, but you also hear yourself saying it.

Play songs you like when you study so you will enjoy it and make it less dull, just make sure that the songs arnt too loud, its best to turn them down slightly so there not the only thing your brain is concetrating on

Eat lots of fish! lol

Thats all I can think of, hope it helps. Oh and relaaaax

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
FLASHCARDS.

That is all.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

greenlizard0BRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
Everybody has their own study patterns, not being condescending or anything like that but have you not your own.

I'm in uni with about 250 people on my course and i think I've seen all their study patterns, (including one guy who religiously works for 45 minutes and then has a tug mctug session)!! haha...

The thing i've seen the most is remembering by association. So make yourself loads and loads of mnemoics (sp..), rhymes and aides. You could also try and replicated conditions, what I do while revising is drink lots of coke and smoke too much. I downed two cans of coke and a fag before I walked in and I somehow passed biggrin Good luck as well mate!

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Take regular breaks! And get a good night's sleep! You learn best then you brain is at its optimal!

Study on a topic, leave it for a while before going back to it is a good idea. Your brain actually processes information subconsciously as well so when it come back to it a second time, you will learn things more easily and effectively.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
do you use mind maps at all? they are a great way of summarising a large amount of information and hard to remember information into a single picture, that way, at a glance you can remember what it is you need to know...

but if you don't use them - now would not be a good time to start

best of luck with the exam, when sitting for my cricket umpires exam, to pass you had to get 97% (fair enough I guess when you're going to be umpiring). for that test, i just lived and breathed the rules, practially spoke to no one about anything other than cricket and generally focussed on nothing else til after the exam

now get back to your study... stop procrastinating rolleyes spank bye

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

ubblol

Written by: greenlizard0

Everybody has their own study patterns, not being condescending or anything like that but have you not your own.

Exactly. I know people that work constantly, making sheets upon sheets of tiny notes on A3 paper, people with flashcards.

What I do, is, with printed out notes, one side of the paper is blank. I re-write all the important bits - equations, definitions, etc, on that side of the page for easy access amoung the clutter of notes. I also scribble stuff everywhere...

Willy - is bad for your health...

Mikey BoyBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
Break into the place where your exam is kept and then steal a copy, read the questions and then vanish without leaving a trace.
Of course if you can do this your wasting your time studying and should already be in the employee of several superevil villains working to help them take over the world!!!!!!

That or a night job as a ninja.

My actual advice - avoid situations that lead to exams. They suck. And not in the good way.
eek eek eek eek eek

Good luck to all those that have such experiences waiting for them...

I didnt do it - no one saw me do it - you cant prove anything.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
ubblol cheers guys, thanks a lot, i do have ways of studying but over the years theyve never been that good, so was looking for any new ways to learn the work.
thanks again smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mikey Boy

My actual advice - avoid situations that lead to exams.

Such as applying to college, University, and driving.

Mikey BoyBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
yup, I dont like exams, I aced all my classes but on the day of the exam it all just went to pot. I never understood why you werent allowed books, if I dont know something at work today I look it up or ask a colleague - I understand some stuff like medicine would require immediate on the spot knowledge but I have yet in my day to day routine to find myself in a situation where I need to know the laws of thermodynamics or how to calculate matrices without the aid of a book.

That said the best piece of advice I was ever given about exams was cram as much as you like the day before but on the day of your test dont read your notes as you did the night before, glance over them briefly but dont cram just before the test.

I found that if I did this my memories would flow easier, if I crammed all I could think about for the first half hour was the last thing I saw in my text book.

The only other thing I have is if you have a particular troublesome mnemonic or some fact you just cant seem to get make it the first thing you right down from now until the exam, turn it into a ritual so when your in the exam you sit down and write it down in the first piece of paper you get.

Other than that just remember exams can always be taken again, schools pile way to much pressure on you as a kid so you always think exams are DEAD DEAD important, if you have the knowledge its not the end of the world if you fail you dont stress as much.

angel

Good luck again.

I didnt do it - no one saw me do it - you cant prove anything.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hehehe thanks mikey! some great stuff there

Other than that just remember exams can always be taken again, schools pile way to much pressure on you as a kid so you always think exams are DEAD DEAD important, if you have the knowledge its not the end of the world if you fail you dont stress as much.

angel

Good luck again.

lol i wish it was that simple! i dont wanna be redoing my first year at uni! ubbangel

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
wear a skirt and write the answers on your thighs, if they catch you cheating, you can get them fired for being a pervert!!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

gotta love aimee being so blunt heehee biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
meh..
didn't mean to sound rude
I think its a fair comment though. I get my GCSE results thursday after next, and I know some of them would be better had I not spent so much time on the ruddy computer!

1,019 posts

Posted:

Definitely.

These kids always stress about their GCSE's. Why aim for 11A*'S other than bragging rights? You only need 5 GCSE to study A-Levels, which is when you really try, as this decides the fate of your University applications.