LiannaBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
Hi all! Yeah im a newbie, please dont hold it against me rolleyes
I am a staff twirler, and not too keen on the pot although I will have a twirl and atm I am teaching myself the two staff twirling but having problems with co-ordination, never mind i will get there. But originally I am here to ask about drumming cd's? Can anyone help me. ? The name of a cd or artist or anything.
Sometimes when my group meets and our drummers are away, we get a little lost, so a cd of drumming may help our fun time, 'a fun time'. And also, nice to have at home for practising. anyone? please?
Lianna
In the element of fire shall we play.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
What kind of drumming?
I'm guessing west African?
https://users.pandora.be/willie.camerman/djembe_en_cd_reviews.html

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Say Lianna,

There's lots of drumming CDs because there are so very many styles of percussion. Afro-Cuban (similar to West African), middle eastern, polynesian. Try Google search for Drumming CD!! That got me a few
(ps if anyone on HoP ever tells you to do a durbs.. they mean search.. through HoP or elsewhere! No one here minds newbies.. but som eget a wee snickety about asking questions that are already answered elsewhere!) Toombul Music would be able to help you aout too.. good music shop, not too far from Redcliffe....
Do you come to Moonfest? See you there! If you like I could make a compilation of percussion based music. Are you wanting music to practice twirling too or to actually practice your own percussion playing? Because if it's for twirling there's also a lot of electronic based music that works well... Gooble Warming sells quite a bit of that...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

LiannaBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
oh my God, did i do a bad typo!, I was meant to say, 'not too keen on the poi' boy i have to learn to re-read my posts. i am after the type of drumming like that of moonfest. Because I am not too fluent with the different types of drumming, I thought it appropiate to ask even though I knew it would have been a topic at some time or and another. Just a simple quessie for simple answers from those who don't mind answering more than once. hey, thanks. (i do know about repeating topics and that it can get annoying as do I belong to many groups).
Thanks again and any other drum groups like those of that at moonfest would be appreciated. And yes, it is for practising twirling but also would not mind a cd that one could practise along with or more than one could practise along with. Sounds good. talk soon.
Lianna

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I loved your typo!!!

The sort of drumming that happens at Moonfest is a mixture of people jamming who come from all sorts of different backgrounds...and who make it up as they go along mostly, so it would be hard to just say ' buy this CD!' and have it match really. But you would probably like AfroCuban drumming, thinking of what I've heard the last few moonfests. (Music's been great here lately, eh! Not just the drumming but trumpets and flutes and stuff!)
You basically need something bassy and rhythmic by the sounds of it. Gooble Warming actually have made some CD's that are electro based but pretty much made to spin by!

My personal favorite is probably Moroccan percussion... ( well, Persian, but not for this purpose....!)
I'll put something together for you for next Moonfest OK?
biggrin

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I find that the kind of jam drumming that our circle does is not very much like traditional west african drumming. Ours is more continuous and flowing, whereas the traditional stuff seems to be much more staccato (?) stop start and quick changes. In my mind, for fire twirling especially poi, you want continous flowing rhythms with reasonably predictable builds and breaks. Lots of layers n stuff. but thats just my taste in music of course! smile
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1121393491)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

LiannaBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
newgabe, thanks. I might be coming as its this thursday and the other half may go fishing. will keep posted. Lianna

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Lianna,
I'll see what I can do.. my week is going a little bit crazy ubbloco with work help

LiannaBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
newgabe, hey no probs, i will ahve to see hothe weather is anyway and i am a frequent user here on home of poi so when things are not so crazy maybe.
lianna