Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > idea. well i think its good anyway...

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
how about to help us newbies spin better, an adept spinner could choreograph something nice and simple for us to follow that will also improve technique?
whatch think? any adepts willing?

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Sounds good, it'd kinda suck if too many people performed it seperately though.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
tinkle pants - your avatar is weird rolleyes cool - i think you should download some videos of some spinners whose spinning you like. write down the moves they do in the order they do them (do this just how it makes sense to you) and any other notes you want. then youve got your rountine to practise smile
EDITED_BY: oli (1121078582)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
oli- I have been downloading videos but I'm choreographically illiterate and it will be a shambles if i try to construct a routine on my own.

As for my avatar, Am I pretty or what? haha! its weird coz I'm weird (I was bored one day).

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Where's the fun in routine?

For me, after a while, a routine gets boring as.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I agree with oli and LTC. You don't want to try an learn routines etc. It takes away the fun.

Just wack on some music and dance! mess around, play and see what happens! There are so many different ways of getting from one move to another and discovering these are all part of the learning process.

Happy Spinning biggrin

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

I'll be glad ot show you something persnaly,
for now practise smile

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I think learning bits of a routine helps.. because it gives the newbies somethingto practice that
1- looks good.. and thus keeps them from the boredom
2- teaches them a set of transitions from which to work from
3- depending on the bit, it can give them a set of moves an transitions that works a large number of movements with a small set of moves/tranistions.. whihc is the penultimate learning device in my opinion because it makes for EASY crossover when applying what they know to new things..

personally I hate choreographing.. but.. a lot of people (myself included) took a LONG time before they learned to flow or choreograph anything.. besides that.. tinkle is looking for something to improve technique not to go out and spin for people.. I think the idea of some of the jore experienced spinners maybe grouping some moves together (not necessarily in an order) that would maximize transfer learning, would greatly help the learning curve..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tinklepants

oli- I have been downloading videos but I'm choreographically illiterate and it will be a shambles if i try to construct a routine on my own.

As for my avatar, Am I pretty or what? haha! its weird coz I'm weird (I was bored one day).

the eyes... redface or is that just me? confused pretty scary stuff i reckon.... although i am in a better state to handle that now. no offense smile

rolleyes

and i meant you should just try and copy the routine of a spinner you like on a video you like... (just pick out 30 seconds of spinning from a video and call that your routine), because i agree with rev, i think your idea is a good one, but it takes alot of effort to put togther a routine and 'transmit' it on the net.

and also dont forget to just play - thats where the fun is ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: oli (1121101272)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
learning routines is an essential part in learning IMHO. Learning a move is only half of it, being able to move from that move into any other is the next step. Thinking up the hardest routine you can think of (lots of changing direction etc) will help you in those moments when you just wanna kick back, relax and spin whatever move comes into your head without hurting yourself (much). Knowing set routines also helps if you're ever performing, you can figure out what looks good before hand and if you ever find yourself not knowing what to do it also helps, as like a backup.

kepki2003Member
34 posts

Posted:
I'm not a big fan on routines either, I would just practice transferring between 3beat weaves(reverse too!,) butterfly(reverse too!,) and the pinwheel. Those are the 3 moves I started with, and I think everything else will just come with time, practice, and patients.

Spin More Poi!!!

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Whilst still being a relative newby myself, routines are okay but I have liked being able to work them out myself smile
There's been a few good transitions on vids that I've downloaded that I have attempted to imitate, but invariably it takes me a bit to pick them up & in the process I'll fluke into a transition that works for me.
Having said this, I lead a busy life so haven't had much time to practice at all since I first picked them up about 6 months ago
Note: The things I use to like/appreciate the most when I went to the local meet over here (watching only) was how many different variations there was to move from 1 thing to the next,
It looked so good seeing everyones different style of doing it

After all this rambling, point being that if everyone tried to do a specific choreographed sequence it would take the fun out of learning but also take away ones personal style weavesmiley

Are you up for it?
wink;)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo tinklepants

I cant beleive theres another inverneesian on this board at last.

when I get back there Ill show you some stuff for practicing, just wait till october...

Tom

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
[img src="https://www.richee.tribofuego.org/images/poitree.jpg"]

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

BrotherKoWSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Tinklepants,

I read some post on some web site that I can't remember a while ago that had a nice training tip that may suit your needs:

make a list of 5 or so random, distinct moves that you know, in no particular order. Your task is to be able to flow between those moves within ten seconds (and as this becomes more natural (and it will), to up the number from 5 to 8 or so). Perhaps you could call it choreographing your own routine. The point is that you are forced to 1. know those moves cleanly and thoroughly enough that you can move in and out of them 2. be innovative enough to be able to experiment with and learn different transitions and 3. learn how to choreograph your routines based on the insights gained from the flows you created (and I think that'd be the goal here).

Anyway hope that's useful smile

Mike.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Scatchz in his club swinging book shows how to put together a routine for practice... I don't have my copy with me... it's in the back somewhere shrug

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
music, repetition and proximity to spunks twirling are great for blending your favourite moves into your favourite routine.

think about what you love to see, and go do it!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: BrotherKoW

Anyway hope that's useful smile

Mike.

I'm sure it will be, cheers for that! ubbrollsmile