Forums > Social Chat > Chat Room up and running

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if I "should" put up a chat room deadicated to fire performers/and twirlers of all kinds, pick moderators with various sets of topics available open for discussion would any of you be interested..Just checking for referrence......Also, which would be more appealing HTML, Java, or flash ?? Thanks
Deja

[ 15 October 2002, 13:01: Message edited by: Goddess_Of_Pyre ]

And all my days are trances And all my nightly dreamsAre where thy gray eye glances And where thy footstep gleams-In what ethereal dances By what eternal streams. Edgar Allan PoeThe prophet is a fool and the religious man is fucking mad, and for the multitude of your sense and your inequity, and the great hatred......NANCY BOY

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
trin, no separate chatroom for SoCalFire, the whole point is we're globally sparse, it will take time for a single chatroom to work at all. we'll use the main TOTeM one, as i'm sure others who link to you will, it would be a great day when 10 let alone 100 are online at once in that ONE room.

ok, i registered following your instructions with nickserv. it tells me registrations "drop off" when an account's unused for 30 days.

question:

can we save copies of chats? say when you get into a valuable convo, or someone gives you an e-mail or url in a chat, can you save the whole chat or cut & paste? i couldn't so far.

~ Mike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
OTHER CHATROOMS

LIVE UNDERNET CHATROOM

from Raymund Phule's chat thread :

Mark P Member # 767 posted 21 September 2002 14:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is already a chat room set up and I am currently sat in it

Details :

Server : eu.undernet.org
Room : #poi

To use it you will need a chat client, I suggest going to www.xchat.org and downloading the appropriate xchat for your operating system.

The look through the server list and select undernet (connect to eu.undernet.org). This can be done by either clicking on the correct server or by chosing 'new server' from the 'xchat' menu and then typing '/server eu.undernet.org'

When you are connected to the server type '/join #poi' and hey presto you should be in the room.

I used to use this for quite a while and was chatting to some NZ and Brits but I havent been on too much lately, you will find Woody on there too (most of the time)

enjoy, Mark P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raymund Phule Member # 1167 posted 21 September 2002 19:26
Well I know the world doesnt revolve around me but, I was thinking more on the lines of something you dont have to download. Like a Yahoo style chat room. Some of us use work computers, and we cant always download programs.
--------------------
Posts: 1544 | From: San Diego California | Registered: Dec 2001

FíreMîke Member # 2573 posted 21 September 2002 19:48
Ray, great idea! has it been considered here before, and how easy is it for Malcolm to find & implement?

Mark P, thanx for your method for the existing room, here i'm with Ray for a no-brain user-friendly off-the-site-page, indeed, on-a-site-page chat as other communities have, would hugely liven up so much. . .introductions, social chat, events coordinating among members. . .
--------------------
~ FíreMîke

Mark P Member # 767 posted 21 September 2002 20:08
I dont think it would take too much to make a web intreface.

Watch this space and I will have a word with the people that are in the know (wont be till monday as I have a weekend full of work/partying to come

Mark P

Fee Member # 1437 posted 21 September 2002 20:28
I have a free web based chat room on my website.. but i cant remember where i found it.. and im too lazy to open up my site to look lmao.... https://www.geocities.com/lil_miss_lacey
its on the bottom of the contact page.... very very easy to set up
--------------------
Posts: 68 | From: Brisbane (South) Qld Aussie | Registered: Feb 2002

vaperloc Member # 2755 posted 22 September 2002 05:52
my other message board uses this same format and the guy that runs it says it is easy cheezy to put a link to an aol chatroom on the site.
--------------------
Posts: 228 | From: Ft worth Texas | Registered: Aug 2002 |

POSSIBLY LIVE OZ #POI CHATROOM

Frenzie Member # 93 posted 26 February 2001 16:39
Well as the nerdy types do, i chat on IRC and recent;y have been sitting myself in #poi. This is on the oz.org network (mpx.oz.org, client.oz.org etc etc), no one else has joined me as yet, so if anyone wants to come visit some time, do so.
Posts: 478 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001 |

POSSIBLE LIVE BALTIMORE CHAT

pj Member # 269 Posts: 229 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA posted 10 May 2001 15:30
FWIW, I've gone ahead and created #poi
on irc.openprojects.net If nothing else, us baltimore unix geeks will be hanging out there. ;-)

PROBABLY INACTIVE LONDON CHAT

Blackbird Member # 438 posted 03 August 2001 04:14
(e-mail out of date, did not respond to my query on his art site a while back)
IRC server: Undernet
Channel: #poi

DEAD HoP CHATROOM

Malcolm, Administrator Member # 2 posted 26 February 2001 14:33
Yes I had tried a live chat room here a few months back. Did not get enough visitors into it at any one time to get a chat going I had to ring a friend and tell them to go into the chat room to have a chat
Some Stats from the Month of January
The Forum page was viewed 8300 times
All Pages viewed total 167,000
Visitors 12,000
Approx. 1000 posts in the BBoard.
At any one time there is usally at least 18 visitors brousing the site.
Only a minority of visitors actually leave messages on the message board or "Chat". Only 5% of the total pages viewed are in the Bulletin Board.
5% of 18 visitors at any one time is 0.89people. We require 2.00 people in order to chat.
That is probably why the chat room previously did not work.
It however could work if we organise a chat time for different time zones. Personally I like to hear what others are doing throughout the world, so yes the time zone thing will limit the possible participation at any one time.

As always your comments are much appreciated

Malcolm

TO INVITE TO TOTeM CHATROOM

Currently (mainly) active users of former HoP chatroom:

[garbo] Member # 55 Posts: 397 | From: Bristol / London / Norwich (UK)
[Josh] Member # 58 Posts: 1266 | From: Adelaide, South AUSTRALIA
adamrice Member # 28 Posts: 911 | From: Austin TX USA
Ade Member # 171 Posts: 427 | From: Sydney | Registered: Mar 2001
ajtag
C@ntus, England
CrazyRaverDude Member # 253 Posts: 470 | From: Tampa, FL, USA
Girl From Mars Member # 230 Posts: 167 | From: Camillus, NY, USA
Jesse
mrhairy Member # 214 Posts: 10 | From: New Zealand
Myst, Oceanside, CA USA
Peregrine Member # 66 Posts: 424 | From: Mystic, Ct. USA
pj Member # 269 Posts: 229 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA
psychomonkey Member # 13 Posts: 147 | From: Kansas City, MO USA
Robert Michael
Shibaki Member # 195 Posts: 231 | From: Tampa, Fl

Goddess_of_Pyre or volunteer new TOTeM chat moderator, feel like sending PM's to these folks? many can be found in one March 2001 thread - search "chat", second page - i think, sorry, didn't copy down the url before closing that thread window

~ Mike

[ 21 October 2002, 06:00: Message edited by: FíreMîke ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
quote:
can we save copies of chats? say when you get into a valuable convo, or someone gives you an e-mail or url in a chat, can you save the whole chat or cut & paste? i couldn't so far.
The best way to do that is to do what i do, grab an irc client, the ones i usually use are:
LeafChat Shareware
VisualIRC Freeware
iceChat Freeware

You can set up channel and message logging in them, or cut and paste to a text file.. the other thing is *goes to check* the bot maintains a log of anything said in the channel for the current and previous days, so, if i am around i can provide the log to you.. of course thats dependent on you finding me before the log gets copied over

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
er, so TOTeM couldn't automatically open us a chat client which has save/ copy abilities?

hey trin, know you're working very very hard these days & nights, sick & all, even if that's normal at this stage of the site

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
i'll look around and see if i can find a better java irc client, but, i wouldnt hold my breath on that one... finding one that actually works was hard enough

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
as Ray said, part of it's most of us non-techs want click & go

trin, can ya recommend just 1 client & its download site instead of our learning enough to compare 3? or will different user systems only accept diff ones? can you recommend one preferred?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
well... i usually stick with leafchat, but, after 30 days or so it turns into nagware.. my backup, and the one i use for major stuff is icechat, i usually carry a cd with all my net stuff on it so i can work on my sites and such from just about anywhere..

so i guess... lets walk through the setup for icechat.

IceChat 3.70 Freeware

once you download the setup file, run it, it will set everything up and start the program for the initial configuration.

enter your info, and get to the main program window. on the lower right portion of the screen is your favorite server list, click the add button.

server name: tribesofthemoon.org
server port: 6667
ident name: whatever you want
nickname: your nickname
nickserv password: if you registered your name with nickserv, pop your opassword in here, and it will id for you when you first login
click on save

Top menu bar: click on server list, show favourite channels. i usually delete all the chans in the list and add my own, but, lets do it the quick way. type #HoP in the box, click add, now find #HoP in the channel list, hilight it, and click the autojoin button. close the window

by default, channel and private messages are logged, the logs are rotated daily and saved in icechat\logs folder.

its actually a pretty robust little program, but takes a little getting used to.. if you click on a channel, it is active and you can start inputting text, the input box is at the very bottom of the screen

Now that ice is setup for tribes, click the server entry you just made, and hit connect.

oh and a quick addition, i'm working on the bot right now.. just added a few commands that may or may not be useful during a chat session.. all of these commands are public, so just type them in the channel

!translate
Flags: -p (Force Private Notice of all results)
Languages: english(en), spanish(es), german(de), portueguece(pt), french(fr), italian(it), chinese(zh), japanese(ja), korean(ko), russian(ru)
*Use Either full language name or acronym*
translates from language1 to language2 using babelfish, usually takes 10-15 seconds to grab the results and display them.
example:
!translate en fr hello
trin_afk, [Fetched in 13s] bonjour

!google
!image these two use google to perform a quick search and display the first result, examples:
!google fire breathing
https://www.juggling.org/help/circus-arts/fire-eat/fire-eat.html
!image fire
https://image.pathfinder.com/time/photoessays/israelattack/fire.jpg

[ 21 October 2002, 08:38: Message edited by: trintek ]

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
bumpitty bump bump!

anyone online who wants to talk the easy way???

xoxoxoxox

Currently on the right side up of the world.

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
welp, i should be online for the next hour or two. spent all day working up some new armour designs, trying to finish up a new set of torches right now.. but, will be on and off the channel.

Goddess_Of_Pyremember
107 posts

Posted:
Man I get busy for a few and look what happens? LOL Trin email me and we can work the chatroom bugs a out amoungest ourselves...worse comes to worse we could put the chatroom on our server if all else fails.I however agree for ONE chat room that we as a community all link up to..then main thing to work out is chatroom times and topics of discussions

And all my days are trances And all my nightly dreamsAre where thy gray eye glances And where thy footstep gleams-In what ethereal dances By what eternal streams. Edgar Allan PoeThe prophet is a fool and the religious man is fucking mad, and for the multitude of your sense and your inequity, and the great hatred......NANCY BOY

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
heh either way works for me, no matter what, it looks like the irc server is going to stay running here, so i can host it.. worked out some bugs that had the connection dropping all the time, seems the storms we had messed with some of the isp's wiring..

now al i need to do is find a better web irc client, going to look around tonight and see whats lurking

Page: