Page:
roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Have you ever regretted saying, not saying something? Doing something, not doing something?

If the opportunity arose to go back and relive your life would you do it? I would, I certainly would.

There are so many choices and decisions that I would change, not that I'm going to go into them here.

Could you honestly say, on your dying day 'I've lived my life with no regrets'?

Everyone says to learn from your mistakes, accept them, life goes on etc.

I agree that you do learn from them, but me personally? I will never be able to accept them.

*sigh*

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I have many regrets. More than I think I have successes.

Once again, as roar said above, i will not go into then here as I do not have the time. It may well take days, and would involve long an convoluted nonsense.

Nuff said....

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
i only regretted one thing in my life. It has haunted me for 6 years.

Other than that "no" cos without doing the things i have done i wouldn't have the life i have now. I believe that i only have the happy life i have now by making these decisions and whether or not i regretted them at the time they have led to here where i'm happy.

Gayle.....!

JustwalkMember
68 posts

Posted:
I too have regretted a lot of decision I had made, but then on hindsight if those scenario is replayed I'd probably do the same stupid things anyway... just the way I am really.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
ubblol @ Spanner

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I have one that has affected my life and i still dream about it regularly now 2 years on, the choices we make

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
the choices we make make us...so even though sometimes i wish i'd done things differently, theres no point in playing what ifs. regretting things won't change anything, and its easier to like yourself if you don't have them.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I like who i am now, and i've become that person through my choices.

however, i also have a massive, convoluted, possibly contradictory philosophy regarding choices, parallel universes and fate, but i'd best leave that for now.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think if you feel regret at any time it usually means you have some unfinished business.

I've done lots of stupid things in my life and made many bad choices. I don't regret them because, as many have said already, they got me to the place I'm at now and I like that place.

I've done things in the past that have hurt others and at the time I regretted them deeply but I went to the people and made my peace with them so the regret has gone. Sometimes it was myself I hurt but I worked through it and am at peace with myself too. Sometimes you do just have to say sorry to your inner self and move on.

Hanging onto guilt/regrets is very negative and will not help you grow as a person. No one is perfect. Everyone has made mistakes. Learning from them, making peace with them and then moving on, is how you grow.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
I've found people thinking about their regrets too much are living in the past and not the now, and don't enjoy the now like they should be.
Yeah i have regrets, and have thought about how it would be different if i hadn't said/done certain things, but having regrets makes you think of how not to repeat those mistakes.

Do we sleep when we die?

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Nicely said people.

I'm trying to learn to accept them, I really am...but for some reason I'm finding it really hard because I'm so ashamed of myself and what I've done.

I do enjoy the present heaps. I love life I really do!

I know it's living in the past but I just can't help it.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Steph hun, if you still feel ashamed it probably means you haven't come to terms with what you have done and forgiven yourself.

Try this.
Make a list of things you feel bad about having done. Look at each one and try and figure out why you did them. You may look and think..... geez was that really the reason I did that ?? Be open and honest with yourself. Once you can see why you did things you can learn from them how not to repeat the same mistakes.

If after doing this exercise you identify people you have hurt along the way, go and sit with them and calmly explain to them that you have thought long and hard about what you have done. Explain to them why you did it and how you have since learned from it. Ask them for their forgiveness and tell them that you understand if they don't feel they can give it. Be open with them and most times you will find they respond in a positive way.

The hardest part of the exercise is to then apologies to yourself for doing the things you have and giving yourself forgiveness. Once you do you will be free of the burden of regrets and able to move on a better person.

Good luck hun hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much buddy smile That's such good advice.

I would have no problem with going and talking to people...but the specific regrets that I have are things that I've done to myself. None of them involve hurting others.

But I have started writing the list and thinking about them...hopefull I will be able to accept them eventually. hug

Thanks again smile

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Every decision I've made has lead me to being who I am now. Seeing as how I like who I am now I find it very hard to have any regrets. Decisions that seemed wrong at the time have had the desired effect and created the person I am. This is why I tend to deal with stuff well.

To be honest, if you asked, I'd have to say I have only one regret.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Purification through fire.

Write down mistake/regret.
Consciously forgive yourself and reaffirm the love you have for yourself
Burn piece of paper, dissolving the negative weight of the regret, and bless it; ask Gaia to tranform it into good energy. Smile.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Yup, I regret a fair few of my choices in life. I'm about to go do something I'll probably end up regreting as well frown But to an extent that's just the way things go and you have to be true to who you are (sorry about the after-school-special splurg ubblol ) and just live your life. biggrin

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
Upon first thought I would say that there are a few things I would regret...i.e. Not saying what I know I should have said at certain times, or hurting someone's feelings....But I agree that the choices you make, in turn make you who you are. I am presently quite happy with just about everything in my life, and who I am. So I would have to say that no, I have no real regrets...

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Funny this thread should come up now, my partner just two nights ago was telling me how regret and remorse are the big things I need to let go of. On a serious level, the regrets I have are those situations in which I let my own insecurities or pigheadedness get in my way. But I did learn from those experiences. There's only one situation that I haven't fully let go of yet.

On a more frivolous level, sometimes when I go out for dinner, I'll order one thing and immediately wish I ordered something else. It's a bit compulsive really.

There's this saying (ascribed to some famous person I can't remember): I'd rather regret things I've done than things I haven't. At this point in my life, that holds true for me.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I texted somone today who i fell out with two years ago. She replied. Do i regret not doing it sooner? No, because I thought i might regret texting her altogether.

My biggest regret in life was realising that regrets are pointless, and you just have to accept what you've done. and then learn from it. smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Spinning my old staff after pracising with my new ones for a few months. the new ones are heavier so i lost it in the plane of the old'n and sliced my nose open quite nicely, probably going to scar, it was fair deep.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: Hexagonic

My biggest regret in life was realising that regrets are pointless, and you just have to accept what you've done. and then learn from it. smile

clap

I don't beleive in regrets, what's the point?

You can't change the past, but you can shape your future. smile

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ade

Written by: Hexagonic

I don't beleive in regrets, what's the point?

You can't change the past, but you can shape your future. smile

Easier said than felt unfortunately rolleyes

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
regrets?? yeah, i have plenty of those! ubblol too many to list, but most of them i've accepted as part of who i am & learnt from them...mostly i remember that there's sweet f.a. i can do about them & that helps me get over it!! tongue

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
regrets are plenty for most people. Me - no exception. But most of the ones that have haunted me for a while have helped make me realise who I am. Others make you stronger. Then again, some just turn up in your mind when yopu least expect it and return to annoy you. My way of thinking is; S**t happens, get over it, move on with life. Works most of the time smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Well in the face of that veritable cornicopia of philosophical wisdom i'm at a loss for words.

one thing to remember though, if you manage to live your life without regrets then you need to raise your expectations. its part of who we are and its what makes us work that much harder for a better future.

"Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: "could have, might have, and should have."

edit-i dont know if that made sence, im really tired at the moment
EDITED_BY: Fathom (1121490993)

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
that made peeeeeeeeeerfect sence

went together like oranges, plumbing pipe, an aerosole can and a bbq lighter!!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I don't think of things that I do regret... Seems hard. (As in, looking at something, wondering if I regret it or not, and never figure out if it's a regret or not.) I tend to look at things I have done, and say "I would have regretted that if I didn't do it". I find I have a lot more things I don't regret than things that I do.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I regret not asking out more boys in school
I also regret eating that tub of hagen daaz last night...

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
one should NEVER regret hagen daaz!!! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Just_Curiousmember
39 posts

Posted:
To summarise: I hate what I've done and been through, but I love what it has made me.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." -Albert Einstein.

"... the moon is pushed around the sky by a goblin named Wilberforce."

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
not telling this girl what i feel about her - the usual

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Page: