Forums > Social Chat > Fire bans in Australia

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, just posting something that a lot of os-sies may well know already, so apologies if you do!!!

BushFire season has begun, there have been homes already lost. If you want to find out if there is a total fire ban in your area at a certain time, click here, then click on your state for more information.

If you aren't sure about whether it is safe to twirl in a particular location, at a particular time, check out with the authorities. And if in doubt, break out the glowpoi.

Take care & be safe.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Eekkk Fire bans?!! Sensible but no fun Roll on the rainy season..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Oh, so I move forward my plans to travel down under to see more sunshine, and then somebody reminds me of fire bans!

I'm guess I'm just going to have to carry my Aerotechs with me. Glo is better than fire anyway.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah i remember the new years horror wif no fwirling in NSW. Hey Rozi, you should be in bed asleep! ah i'm no not gunna survive work today...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Teehee, I don't have to work today!!!

*puts on serious face again*

I know fire bans are a pain in the arse, but I have heard some horror "I almost started a bushfire" stories. If you are spinning & you start an unplanned fire, call the fire brigade, don't just bolt. I know you can get in trouble, but that is better than having lives and homes on your hands.

Don't worry, Dom, total fire bans aren't on all the time, it depends on the weather conditions.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
quote:
Quote taken from,
"Homes razed as fires burn out of control"

"Arson suspected"

It wasn't me...
I'm a good boy I is...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm, can't believe everything you read. I mean, they even spelt your name wrong

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Yeah... if they spell your name wrong it isn't you right... so that means I'm off the hook... tee hee... teeeee heeeee... suckers- *Cough Cough* sorry... don't know what came over me...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Hi....

The fire bans are probably a good thing, especially with the bush parties, most people are pretty schmangled by like 3AM when the tirlwers start to vccome out, so it is a good idea to keep the flames out...and most seem to enjoy anyway, as fire is not intrinsic to the joy of twirling.

With regard to the Fire Ban at Glbe Park...we have never had a problem before, I think the cops arrived once and just said no fire, and hat was that...but it is generally a safe place even with fire hazards...

I am wondering what the " grey area" is..ie" the rie ban covers certain types of fire, does it include like hand held fire?? or fire coming out of the mouth?? I am sure a good lawyer would find a loophole!!! anyway, I think fire bans suck....where I come from the biush is just a flammable, and the people are twice as crazy, but there are never fire bans, I think in Australia,, there seems to be a lot of arson! I hav never ion my life come accross an accifdental fire, caused by a camp fire or something like that, but anyway, law is law, and the bush seems to go up every ten minutes here so!!!

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if you go to the right bush parties, you can fire twirl at any time if you can persuade the CFA dudes to move their fire trux right next to a wet/clear fire circle where they supervise you for a few hours. beer bribes work, but u didn't read that! I know for a fact that they did this for confest and Rainbow serpent festivals. Smaller, responsible, and often hippy events get to do this cus they're dinkum

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I think it is all about responsibility. Okay, things aren't too dangerous at Glebe, but in times of high wind, sparks can travel a long distance. So it is about being smart and judging the conditions for yourself. Also, in those cases, say Glebe and Newtown, I would say the local police & fire know about us after all this time, and would come down & tell us if it was not appropriate.

What I really worry about, is lone twirlers, or small groups, in bushy parks etc, without proper safety precautions.

As to the "grey area", we are playing with a naked flame. Seeing as you can't even really have a barbecue, I don't think we could find a loop hole on that one. I wouldn't want to find a loop hole if I started a fire I could have prevented. It causes such distress and devastation.

The fact is that firetwirling is a dangerous sport, & we have to have responsibility for ourselves and others. That way it can stay a beautiful, beautiful thing.

[ 09 October 2002, 14:11: Message edited by: Rozi ]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Fire_Emanator - "fire is not intrinsic to the joy of twirling" ?? are you serious? Sure, it's not ALL about the fire, but for me and everyone else I know, it is certainly intrinsic.

Re: bush parties.... yar yar, let's generalise shall we? No, we're not all smashed by 3am (we prefer to wait til just before sunrise ); any twirler with any sense will guage the environmental conditions and their mental state before lighting up, and most twirlers are responsible enough to tell the irresponsible ones to "put that stick the hell away!"

At Earthdance this weekend, there's almost certainly going to be a fire ban in place, but we know it's impossible to stop people from twirling. So instead of trying to enforce fire ban, we're going to designate a specific area and have plenty of extinguishers, blankets and water with someone (me) to keep an eye on things. People will be partolling the camping and parking areas to ensure there are no camp fires and no one is twirling where they shouldn't be.

Anyway I've only been effected by a fire ban at one bush party performance; so we did UV instead. It sucked.

[ 09 October 2002, 14:24: Message edited by: flash fire ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.