• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > LONDON TERRORIST ATTACK- PLEASE CHECK IN IF YOU LIVE/ WORK IN LONDON

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...91011

jemima (jem)
SILVER Member since Dec 2002

jemima (jem)

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1750
Posted:Alice our tams if fine

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Delete

GothFrogette
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy

Total posts: 3999
Posted:Flid:

the thing about the controlled explosion was in the telegraph

and when i say town i mean my town = nuneaton the first was about 11:30 and as far as i know lasted for a couple of hours and then one on a bus about 4-5ish.

hugs to you both hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

Skulduggery
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

Skulduggery

Pirate Pixie Crew Captain

Total posts: 8428
Posted:I think we now have a very ugly problem rearing its head in the aftermath of the bombings.

Upset and angry people are looking for someone to blame and hit back at. That's a natural human reaction, but I say fight that feeling because more violence and hatred isn't the answer. Because of all the speculation about who planted these bombs, the Muslims within our community are once more being attacked and harassed.

I want to stand up and be counted in saying I find these attacks on totally innocent Muslims abhorrent and indefensible.

Whoever planted these bombs wanted to divide us and scare us into fighting amongst ourselves. They wanted to turn us on each other and I, for one, say don't let them win.

I urge you all to stand up and be counted. If you hear people making comments, stirring up hatred, have courage and tell the person talking that you think there has been enough violence and that adding to it can only make things worse. Speak out for what you think is right. Apathy allows wrongs to go unchallenged and hatred to build.

I don't want anyone in our community to feel harassed, bullied or in fear of their lives just because of their skin colour, religious beliefs, or any other reason.

This is a well know passage. I'm sure most of you will have heard it before. It was written about the second world war. I think it holds resonance for today, just change the religions about a bit......

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left

to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemller

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Delete

_Clare_
BRONZE Member since Oct 2002

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Total posts: 5967
Posted:Skully, you're great, I'll speak out for you biggrin

hug2

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

.:star:.
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

.:star:.

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:Definately agree with you Skully,
I just hope that this whole thing doesn't lead us to another war. If we start attacking people, the terrorists have won, they have scared us to the point where we feel that striking out is the only way, then they have reduced us to their level.
I hate the way that whole communities gets victimised because of the actions of a few.

Delete

flid
BRONZE Member since Aug 2002

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3136
Posted:I think you've raised 2 points skully:

1) Generally people's interpretation of religion that allows them to commit crime isn't the interpretation of the majority of other people following the religion. KKK members will claim that Christianity endorses their cause, as will the atrocities committed by the 'Jewish' administration against the Palestinians in Israel. This is no different, but with Islam used as the poor deluded excuse.

2) There's a good chance, assuming that this was committed by Muslim fanatics, that one of their aims was to cause communities to segregate, to cause hatred towards Muslims in the country, so they can then exploit that. America's revenge attack on afganistan has made more young muslims want to become terrorists not stopped. If i'd grown up as a palastinian no doubt I'd want to become a suicide bomber. In Bosnia Serbs and Muslims had lived side by side for years without problems, not in separate communities but in the same towns, villages etc. Part of the ethnic cleansing process was to cause disruption and turn the 2 against each other, as it made killing off the Muslims that much easier. It's been happening throughout history.

Delete

Josie-Posie
BRONZE Member since Mar 2005

Josie-Posie

Total posts: 82
Posted:The passage you quoted Skully has recently been used in an Asian Dub Foundation song on their new album. Having listened to the album after the events of the last few days it seems very apt.

The sad fact is there are people within our communities who do have negative feelings towards people of other colours, origins or religions. These people will use any event they can to "punish" the people they don't like for being "wrong" be it a murder a rape or a terrorist attack. I just hope the vast right-minded majority is strong enough to stand up and say NO, and not just go along with it as it makes life easier not to be singled out.

So there a long-winded way of saying this is a good and apt album and I agree with you about needing to resist what we know to be wrong and be counted.

Delete

Pink...?
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured

Total posts: 6140
Posted:I do have her number, and whenever i called it went straight to her voicemail.

Thanks for letting me know she's fine Jem! How did you get hold of her?!?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

jemima (jem)
SILVER Member since Dec 2002

jemima (jem)

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1750
Posted:She has a new number rolleyes

and I emailed her at work biggrin

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Delete

pricklyleaf
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

pricklyleaf

with added berries

Total posts: 1365
Posted:Hey, just got back on internet access so just thought I'd leave a big hug for everyone affected. Luckily my freind was visiting her sister and due back in London later that day so was OK. Thught I'd let you Londoners know that everyone in Glasgow held the 2 minute silence. It was amazing, everyone in the street just stopped. Then when it was ove everyone seemed to know what time it finished, and we all carried on. Not sure if its already been said, but I think its very important for everyone to carry on, and not let it stop their lives, because thats when the terrorists win. I also agree its terrible, and wrong to attack muslims as the the terrorists are not Muslims, they may claim their loyalties lie that way but by commiting the attacks, they go against that religion. It is also worth to note that Muslims were killed in the bombs so it cannot be called a racist attack.

sorry if this repeats anything already written.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Delete

GothFrogette
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy

Total posts: 3999
Posted:i was most impressed with the 2 minutes silence in our town too. although the town was packed it was sooooooo quiet, even the drunk people by the fountain shut up.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

Page: 1...91011