Forums > Social Chat > Twirlin in the presence of idiots

Login/Join to Participate

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
I'm sure most people here who have ever spun fire outside somewhere where the general public can see have had incounters (violent or otherwise) with dickheads doing the 'oh give me a shot' thing and trying to take you fire props, doing themselves or other people considerable amounts of damage then cracking the shits about it. My question is what do you guys do when this kind of thing happens? With so many teenage homies and others trying to impress their friends by harassing the lone twirler things get a bit weird, especially when idiots like these don't go away. What are your general reactions and what do you do to discourage dickheads?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hi Chotys! ain't seen ya round like a while!
hecklers deserve to see my malformed superfluous nipple.
/sound of lightning crashes.

[ 08 October 2002, 18:30: Message edited by: .bender ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Distorted Silencemember
217 posts

Posted:
Ah i generally give them an evil look, bare my teeth and say "NO" as growly as possible... and with my reputation of nadderating guys that piss me off it pays off... usually.

As for people I know, who dont know how to twirl, then I find it harder... Unfortunately my staff now is all sticky, the handle is crispy and dodge ever since i was weak enuf to give it to a person who too wanted to show off without knowing what they were doing. They didnt dip it properly, let the kero drip all the way down the staff and then left it to burn until it went out by itself... From that I learnt my lesson... that was a whole $77 buck i payed for that staff!

I reckon if youre by yourself, and the homies (its always them...) wanna shot, give it to them with no fire. hide the kero, the scorch marks left on their clothing should piss them off enuf not to want to do it again.

You've got to move fast to beat the Devil - Your arm's too short to box with God.

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
Yeah, thats the reason i started this post, i let a kid use my props and before i knew it one poi was across the street in a patch of dead grass and someone ended up completely ruining my wicks and the staff got a bit bent.

Hi .bender (wasn't it bendertheoffender or is this someone new?)

I like the bear your teeth idea but when you a loan twirler and there are a bunch or persistent people around it doesn't have the desired effect, maybe i should eat garlic then when i bear my teeth it might scare 'em off from the smell...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I make a habit of not letting ANYONE i dont know (Apart from if i know they can spin properly) use my stuff....and i mean anyone..no matter how hard they ask. Even if theyre apsolutly frigging beautiful. NO! cos if you let one have a go..everyone else will want a go. Even if they are beamers...which could be funny..lol..

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Ok, honest truth is that I still haven't dared twirl fire, but once i do the plan is as follows: i'll never twirl fire alone: a bunch of teeth-baring garlic-breathed twirlers should keep anyone at bay
When i'm alone i use my pretty poi with tails n stuff: they got wrecked at the Lowlands festival this year by some drunken bastard who wanted to try, so now I always bring along a set of really simple ball-on-string practise poi in case anyone wants to try. Hard to destroy, and if someone does manage to, it doesn't really matter...

everyone's unique except me

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I think this idea came from someone else on the site but i cannot remember his or her name but it's a bloody good idea. Make some poi out of some fairly painful things (fishing weights i prefer) and carry them around with you. When the next @rseh0le comes and asks to have a go on your fire poi hand him or her the heavy ones and say prove to me you won't burn yourself.

30 seconds later they will be covered in bruises and will leave you alone to have fun.

This also acts as a deterrent for other @rseh0les in the area too.

SORTED!

x Tennis x

My cat's breath smells like catfood

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
i havent spun outside in the general public alone yet. i have always been with my old troupe and our safety's took care of people like that. so im not sure what i will do when that happens...i like the idea of handing em' beamers and tellin em' to try with those...hehehe...beamers freakin hurt.....and then if they still wanna go ill just tell em to go away before i blow fire on em!

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I've had ravers break my home made double glow stick poi - lovingly made from fishing trace (fine wire coated in plastic - used to fish for pike) and split rings.. they came back to me with a broken link..

My fire poi have been borrowed by people who I don't know very well = but never lent to people who I can tell have no respect.. I just say they need to cool down and then dissapear off into the back ground for a while - works for me.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
The first Poi I made were two lengths of thick string with a couple of heavy nuts tied to the bottom and a loop in the other end. Woe betide anyone who hits themselves with those Poi!!!

I should've christened them "The Nutcracker" Poi!!!

whats up with all the limitations?

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I like the weights idea. Frankly, I haen't dealt with that many hecklers. Just people either watching in awe, or losers who call me a fag because I am doing something that they can't and it impresses their woman that I can handle my balls so well

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
you should see bovril's ultra 'light' (fuck off...no there not...) poi.....tennis balls with nuts and bolts in......argh! they frigging hurt!!!

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
See these are good ideas, or a practice staff i can let people try that has a really splintery handle or something, something where you can be giving someone a go and afterwards they won't ever ask again! Next time some loser comes up acting tough i'll use the old poi with jagged-metal beneath the cloth trick...hehehe...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think it was me who suggested the really hard poi to discourage people from heckling, my original poi were monkey fist knots filled with clay to give them a bit of weight - I christened them 'The nutcrunchers' and they've claimed quite a few victims (me included)

I don't need to carry them now, since as UCOF mentioned, my new poi are full of metal nuts to weigh them down . It sounds like a good idea at the time because you can spin them so incredably slowly, but they really, really hurt when they hit you. They seem to hate my glasses, they keep battering them and twisting them into odd shapes.
unsurprisingly, I don't use them to practise moves I don't know - I have some lighter ones for that

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Distorted Silencemember
217 posts

Posted:
I just now remembered how I leant my poi to a friend, who was to return them the next day.

its been 9 months now since I last saw them... and my thomas the tank engine bac that held them :'(

But if someone you dont know asks, i find asking them in return if theyd rather keep their eyebrows.

You've got to move fast to beat the Devil - Your arm's too short to box with God.