martinpwnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Having picked the chains up again after 8 years or so I thought the best thing to do before starting to learn new moves would be to go back to basics and do what I should have done originally,i.e; make sure I could do everything backwards that i can do forwards,if that makes sense! i started with butterflies, windmills,etc,all the fairly simple stuff.But i am all over the place,bashing myself to bits with plane control out of the window,especially on my weaker side,i am sure it's taking me 10 times longer to learn them than it did when i first tried them,is this normal,or am i losing the plot?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I can clearly see your nuts.

smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
is he wearing cling film trousers?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I agree, i can see your nuts too, you should get that checked out

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Well, I'll give you a sensible answer!

This Is not at all uncommon. You'll find that once you get back into the swing of things (pun intended) It'll be like you never took a break.

You'll also find that younger people learn things a lot quicker than older people. You were 8 years younger when you stopped. This'll make a difference to the speed you pick things up at now. At least, that's what I heard...

I stopped devilsticking for about the same length of time ages ago, and when I picked them up again, I was a bit poo. It took a while for my hands to remember what to do, but I got there in the end.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

martinpwnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
cling film?nah,thats pvc with special magnifying properties to enlarge everything you see.
cheers,loves the circus,theres hope yet, then! I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I can't pick things up quite so fast now! boo hoo.

TheDudeBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I just came upon this topic, and it hasn't been discussed for a while, but here's my experience: I used to be the captain of my intercollegiate ballroom dancing team. After several years of not dancing, it seems *much* harder to get back into it. But it may be that I'm shooting for a level that is just imagined. It could be that I was never as good as I "remember." Also, instead of working at it three hours per day, every day, it's more like 1 hour per day, four days per week. What can I expect?

But to be honest, it doesn't really take any of the pleasure of the dancing out of it. Everything that I used to love about it is still there, and that's good enough for me!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
like you said, its the basics and you never learnt it in the first place, so of course its going to take a while to catch up with your forward work! also you're meant to learn things with your weaker side first, but i suppose its too late for that!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

DoctaGOLD Member
81 posts

Posted:
Are any of us really "normal"???? Can you please define "normal"......

Doc smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
normal= mjk
abnormal= everyone else

clear enough? wink ubbloco

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Written by: Docta

Are any of us really "normal"???? Can you please define "normal"......

Doc smile

sure, but which approach to defining normality do you want?
Historical
Socio-cultural
Situational
Functional
Medical
or
Statistical?

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
normal to you may be abnormal to me so isnt it really just opinion?

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

effexmember
32 posts

Posted:
Cambridge dictionaries:
normal
adjective
ordinary or usual; the same as would be expected:
a normal working day

normality
noun [U] (US ALSO normalcy)
the state of being normal:

----------
Normality is a society based statistic of standards. It represents what one would expect to see in result of a static series of memory and calculation stimulated by cognition.
As Loki mentioned normality may differ from different perceptions, as would pretty much anything.

Q/ What do bottoms and opinion have in common?
A/ Almost everybody has one

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Written by: effex

---------
Normality is a society based statistic of standards. It represents what one would expect to see in result of a static series of memory and calculation stimulated by cognition.
As Loki mentioned normality may differ from different perceptions, as would pretty much anything.

biggrin ditto biggrin

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

DoctaGOLD Member
81 posts

Posted:
Wow......look what I started........a normality war tee hee

Doc biggrin

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
we studied normality in psychology last year (in case you couldnt tell from my last post) and this is the definitions we got from our books:
The socio-cultural approadh is defined as behaviour which is accepted in a particular society or culture may be viewed as normal, and behaviour which is considered unacceptable is abnormal
The Functional approach to defining normality and abnormality proposes that people are considered normal if their thoughts, feelings and/or behaviour enables them to function effectively in their everyday lives.
The Historical approach states that what is considered normal or abnormal behaviour depends on the era or period of time when the judgement is made.
The Situational approach says that what is considered to be normal or abnormal behaviour within a society or culture depends mainly on the time in when it occurs, but also on the situation or context in which is occurs. Behaviour that may be seen acceptable in one situation may not be seen as acceptable in another situation.
The Medical approach defines normal and abnormal behaviour as behaviour which has a medical cause. It can be diagnosed and treated
The Statistical approach shows a particular behaviour or characteristic as being normal or abnormal depending on the majority or minority of people who engage in it.

effexmember
32 posts

Posted:
is it just me or does it seem that enviorment over-weighs personal identity in that arguement?

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

DoctaGOLD Member
81 posts

Posted:
Thank you for that Hanz.........

Anyone else got anything normal to say???

Doc lolsign

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Normal? Whats that? wink

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Written by: effex

is it just me or does it seem that enviorment over-weighs personal identity in that arguement?

its not just you...... you just sumed it up nicely in that one sentence...... environment creates personal identity....with that said it leads to environment creates learned behavior which all together defines an individuals sense of normality

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think this should now be moved to social discussion...

biggrin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
or maybe you should be in the social discussion UCOF! techniqually i'd say they are asking for help in solving a question, so it does fit in the help forum. maybe lots of people are posting in the discussion forum when they should be posting in help eek good gawsh, what will we do! wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"or maybe you should be in the social discussion UCOF! "

I cannot complete with the long words, the theories I know nothing about and I strongly believe I have no opinions about anything whatsoever.

umm

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

I think this should now be moved to social discussion...

biggrin

I agree with UCOF......this started as a help question but has become alot more......the topic is actually way far away from the origional question now

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah, we're not discussing the topic at all anymore, just where it belongs(cause that doesnt usually hapen or anything wink)

DoctaGOLD Member
81 posts

Posted:
So what was the original question.........I think you're all a little strange really ubbloco it's just not NORMAL ! ! !

Doc out smile

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Im not normal, and i like it that way

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
I used to think you were crazy; but now I can see your nuts.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.