Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Well, not quite, but London has won the bid to host the 30th Olympic Games smile

London last hosted the Olympics in 1948 and will become the first city to host sport's biggest event three times.

The news even warranted a City flyover from the RAF's Red Arrows - trailing three bands of coloured smoke that remarkably resembled the French flag...

The winning bid team will host a press conference at 1330 BST.

look - i used capital letters!
(but only because i wrote this for the intranet at work wink )

bounce2
biggrin
bounce2

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i get to help the olympics sailing organisation prepare for 2012

yay

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
yey london won!!!!!!

i want to be good enough at badminton to go there

bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
frown

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
why sad face?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Nucleopoi

yey london won!!!!!!

i want to be good enough at badminton to go there

bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

You are!! biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Yippee - right I'm going to train for the Modern Pentathlon since that looks like the easiest event. Anyone else thinking of entering anything?

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I think you guys may be getting the olympics mixed up with the comonwealth games, that's when we get to rip the piss out of the sporting ability of all the little islands we've been occupying for the past few hundred years since raping and pillaging the population so we could stick their treasures in the british museum. In the olympics we have to go up against the likes of france.... and we never beat.... actually, sign me up for high jump. I did quite well at it at sports day once. All the cool kids did proper sports like running, so they gave the less popular ones to the geeks who really didn't want to be there at all. Being a tall geek I had an obvious advantage. I could be in with a chance

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My reaction was also one of mild sadness.

Partly because it seemed like Paris wanted it a lot more.

Partly because there's going to be unimaginable amounts of money spent on this, and I think there's far better places to spend it than on an event which is basically to entertain the Western elite, while elsewhere other human beings are watching their children starve to death in front of them.

Given the two major news focuses of recent weeks (Africa and the olympic bid), I hope that more and more of us in the lucky Western elite start to seriously question the value and wisdom of spending billions of billions of pounds in matters which are for entertainment. status etc.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Think I have to agree with Dave here. That much money could do so much good if it went to the right places.

I know some of the money will be for London to improve infrastructure and school sports provisions and things, but I don't really trust the people in charge of London to manage the money or resources well.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
confused

where does the sentiment that the olympic games is basically for the "lucky western elite" come from?

excuse me if i'm misrepresenting you dave, but the way your comments read there is that the main ideals of the olympics games are 'entertainment' and 'status building'?

personally, i think the olympic games are one of the few sports events with commendable morals.

"I hope that more and more of us in the lucky Western elite start to seriously question the value and wisdom of spending billions of billions of pounds in matters which are for entertainment. status etc."

that statement i don't understand at all...

taking the sports funding from western governments' budgets and spending it instead on aid is not only totally unworkable but would also be highly detrimental to the economies and cultures of those countries and any countries that they trade or compete with.

how is your argument any different from suggesting that we cut funding to all the arts?
they, moreso than international sports competitions, are solely for the entertainment of the western elite.

i understand your underlying point - that saving dying children is more important than arranging a big athletics event.

but i would contend that throwing money at africa will not solve its problems, and putting down something like the olypics as being a first world, hedonistic waste of time and money is inaccurate and not a related issue.

shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

larziemember
38 posts

Posted:
just heard on the news (i'm in australia) that its 100% official that london is hosting the olympics. should be good smile

cling to your idividualism.

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Sound like a victory of sorts and I know people here are kinda happy about it but.... I have some reservations about it all.

Namely:

1. Higher council tax hikes in my london borough to support the development.
2. Higher housing prices & rents, which are already sky high.
3. Everything getting more expensive (eg. london transport)
4. We hardly ever win any medals anyway - except the boring ones like 'egg and spoon' race or whatever.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I don't have a problem with the Olympics as an Idea, It's ok to watch (if only they had spinning as an event....) but all the sports I like (fencing, archery etc) is generally on at about 2am while all the track and whatnots get prime coverage. This means I don't really care too much about it.

The only real issue I'm concerned about is that I don't think that London is properly equipped to deal with the influx of people that the Olympics will bring. The M25 struggles as it is, and I think reform of the transport system is needed quickly.

I would agree with Dave that the money could be spent elsewhere, to better effect, but I also agree with Cole that banning spending on sports or the arts is impractical and undersirable. Personally, I'd disband the military and use that funding for education and healthcare, but thats way offtopic so I won't say any more here.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: MarkMark

except the boring ones like 'egg and spoon' race or whatever

Egg and spoon race is not boring! Ironically it was the only thing I was ever good at primary school sports day!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah crikey. Last time I saw London it was full as a goog.

(that's an Aussie term meaning egg... sort of following on the *** and spoon theme.)

Where the hell you chaps going to fit an Olympic games??

Wiltshire???

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I thought they weren't deciding for like 5 more days.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
bounce

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"The news even warranted a City flyover from the RAF's Red Arrows - trailing three bands of coloured smoke that remarkably resembled the French flag..."

ubblol the irony ubblol

Anyways, Dave, I agree with you. This Olympic nonsense is drawing media attention away from what should be the main news story this week - the G8 summit.

It's sickening that we have become so caught up in this Olympic glitter and gloss that we forget something truely life-changing is happening.

(Isn't the whole ethos of the Games for people to come together?!!)

Why is everyone so pleased that London has secured it?

Really think about that question.

What benefits is it actually going to bring?

The French actually have their stadiums and transport network in place (from the football)... why build more?!

If it's because of the 'huge amount of money and tourism the Games will bring to the country'... well, can't we give it to a country that really needs the money and tourism?!

If it's because 'more money will be spent on local sports' - that's a disgrace. More money should be spent on local sports whether London hosts the Olympics or not.

Otherwise, this whole project seems to me to be a terrible waste of money.

Ask the Sydneysiders on the board... they have ended up with a huge Olympic village and as far as I know, noone is using it!

Visit www.indymedia.org.uk and find out about the G8 instead. smile

Getting to the other side smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
A bit of devil's advocate:
But what about the potential regeneration of east London? lots of it could use it, particularly Hackney, as last time I was there I saw 'you are dead bro' written on some guys house.

Also the French had actually had a party to celebrate the fact that they were dead certs to win the bid. I've nothing against the French or partying, but that did seem a tiny bit arrogant.

What the games offer is more a chance for national prestige and regeneration of the city of London. That said, it is probably cost a hell of a lot, more than it is going to bring money into this country, and this makes it more sensible that we take it on than 'giving' it to a poorer country which couldn't deal with it.

Yeah, France was probably the best choice in terms of preparation, but it will make more difference to London. The only thing I really didn't like was the fact it was the 'London' bid rather than the 'UK' bid, like London was a different country!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
What exactly is 'national prestige'? And why does London need more of it?

Also... I support the theory of the regeneration of a run-down part of the city... but I suspect we'll be paying a disproportional cost for it.

And I agree - why is this a London bid, when they expect athletes from all over the UK to take part?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
um

funnily enough clare, i think this is the first time i've ever properly disagreed with your views on HoP.

i don't give a [censored] about national prestige.
And for once, i don't care about the cost
I think focusing attention on sport(or 'art' or 'theatre') is worth every penny. unfortunately i'm trying to leave the office, or i would stay and write a large quantity on this one.

if you think the olympics are devalued because they focus attention in the wrong place then i wholeheartedly disagree with you. olympic champions inspire people to a better life. that is worth more money than i care to think about.

it is unfortunate that it clashes with G8 coverage. but that does not make it a bad thing.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
The bid has always been city specific, not country, because it is the city that has to do the majority of the proposal for coming up with the bid in the first place. We have had a New York bid, a LA bid, etc. but never exactly a US bid. It is usually the cities responsibility to make sure things get planned out correctly instead of the entire countries responsibility. The bid usually has little to do with the actual athletes in a city or country.

Oh, I suspect you are hearing so much about it because you are close to the situation. Over here, there is one story about it in the local news, and much more about the G8 summit.

Why can't it be held in a poorer country? Because they usually don't have any of the necessary stadiums to hold the events in. True, some are usually built new in each Olympics city location, but not all of them. They need someplace that has access to public transportation that can easily get participants and visitors from place to place...many poor countries to not have such a system in place and it is sometimes not feasible to build one. The location also has to have access to a water feature for things like crew races. There are several poor countries (I'm thinking Africa here) that do not have decent rivers to do such on. You also have to make certain that the city is of a decent size that it can actually handle the huge influx of people that want to see the games. Many poor countries just don't have a city that could support 10 million + visitors at once.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Time to get ready for the Olymic Poi Battle smile

Now if only they wanted 2.5 poi spinners to work the ceremony. in a cheesy style
remind me again... how do you make coloured flames?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
frown

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

but

ubbcrying Rob... I am gutted. Really. Almost to the point that I will get off my high horse.

Almost, but not quite tongue

I stand by what I said...

"This Olympic nonsense is drawing media attention away from what should be the main news story this week - the G8 summit. "

(cheeky quoting of self there)

If this Olympic story had happened last week, or next week - I probably would have still disagreed... but not so strongly.

This week attention should have been set on Gleneagles... it Needed to be... to keep the slimy leaders under the spotlight. If anyone has been watching the coverage, with every news interview it appears that the opportunity for real change is being squandered.

The US still won't back down over the environmental issues, instead shoving the blame onto China and India (from where, coincidentally, most products are now imported because production 'is cheaper' - simultaneously forcing the closure of factories across the US and UK).

Anyways... back to the subject smile

You're right that focusing attention on sport/art/theatre is worth every penny... but why do we need an Olympics to achieve that?

If Paris had won the bid, would things be so different in the next 7 years?

Only time can tell.

Ok... grudgingly letting the idealism go... I agree the Olympics will probably raise the profile of sports in the Uk and Ireland over the next 7 years. And that's good. For sure.

I still think the production costs and added extras vastly exceeds what needs to be spent on such a show... but I get your point. (this is me humbly conceding biggrin rolleyes)

Spritie: If New York hadn't been knocked out in the opening stages I suspect you would be hearing much more about it on the news. And I think we all know that poorer countries can't hold such a competition... I was being facetious... apologies.

Glass: ubblol Double staff gladiators?! Shot put with poi? Glow-poi til you drop? But I think the next global HoP meet should definitely be for the opening ceremony biggrin We can all sit around and smoke and push people up to spin when we get bored.

grouphug

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gelfling

Yippee - right I'm going to train for the Modern Pentathlon since that looks like the easiest event. Anyone else thinking of entering anything?

i might do that cos i already do half the things i need to so it shouldn't be to hard

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

confused

where does the sentiment that the olympic games is basically for the "lucky western elite" come from?

Well the hundreds of thousands of African children who will die during the duration of the olympics aren't going to get bussed in to watch them before they finish starving to death are they?

Written by: coleman

confused

excuse me if i'm misrepresenting you dave, but the way your comments read there is that the main ideals of the olympics games are 'entertainment' and 'status building'?

personally, i think the olympic games are one of the few sports events with commendable morals.

"I hope that more and more of us in the lucky Western elite start to seriously question the value and wisdom of spending billions of billions of pounds in matters which are for entertainment. status etc."

that statement i don't understand at all...

taking the sports funding from western governments' budgets and spending it instead on aid is not only totally unworkable but would also be highly detrimental to the economies and cultures of those countries and any countries that they trade or compete with.

how is your argument any different from suggesting that we cut funding to all the arts?
they, moreso than international sports competitions, are solely for the entertainment of the western elite.

i understand your underlying point - that saving dying children is more important than arranging a big athletics event.

but i would contend that throwing money at africa will not solve its problems, and putting down something like the olypics as being a first world, hedonistic waste of time and money is inaccurate and not a related issue.

shrug

cole. x

Essentially, as others have pointed out, there are thnings happening this week concerning Africa that are far, far, far more significant than the Olympics.

More and more I'm coming to see that there is a family of humanity on this Earth, and it's mind-blowing that thousands a day of our family are dying needlessly.

As for sport, it's got its place but, IMO, it's vastly over-rated.

Good things about sport include health, fitness, discipline, striving for an ideal etc; unfortunatly, in our culture those tend to take a second place to 'winning' at all costs, hence the use of drugs, and the fact that most professional athleletes, though very fit are far from healthy as their systems are stressed by over-training.

I'm saddened by our schools obsession with football, rugby, athletics etc- I'd like to see them teach health and offer alternatives that aren't based on aggressive competition against others.

Circus skills/spinning being a fine example, with their emphasis on competing against oneself, self- improvement and health.

----------------------

We are lucky to be here- any one of us who'd had the misfortune to be born in those parts of Africa would now be dying- it's that simple, we didn't earn being born here, it was pure fluke.

At the end of the day you either see it or you don't; as far as I'm concerned, us lucky ones, who portray ourselves as having the best ways, should, IMO, recognise our fortune and make it an absolute priority to cut the excuses, the 'it's not practical....'; and sort out the fact that every year, hundreds of thousands of human beings are born elsewhere, and die, in agony, as children, while their poor parents have to look on and watch it happen.

Meanwhile we spend millions to watch 'atheletes' trying to get round a track quicker than each other, and speak of 'ideals'.

How about scrapping some of these events, doing something useful with the money (and I'm not talking about 'Aid' which, in many cases, merely prolongs the misery).

Then, when things are right- when no human beings are needlessly starving to death on this planet, then maybe we can celebrate with some olympics?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"Then, when things are right- when no human beings are needlessly starving to death on this planet, then maybe we can celebrate with some olympics?"

Also a particularly good, valid point.

Dammit, I'm going to get splinters from sitting on this fence.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I saw all these people on the news from other countries crying because they didn't win.

I didn't think it really meant that much to people

*shrugs*

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Page: