skankin' punker
Total posts: 20
Posted:THINkERS ARe UNDERAchiVerS IN ACTiOn WHo hide ThEYR FAILureES BEHINd thEOrieS.

Delete Topic

Thistle
Thistle

old hand
Total posts: 950
Posted:An interesting idea. What has made you come to this conclusion?

Please consider editing your original post as capital and lower case mixed together make it quite difficult to read.

Are we nearly there yet?

Delete

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Total posts: 13920
Posted:I think...and then I do.

And failure is when you learn most.

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Twirl'N'Burn
Booojakasha
Total posts: 121
Posted:'The only real mistake is the one from which you learn nothing'

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

Delete

Charles
Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
Total posts: 3989
Posted:Not always, if someone else learns something from it, then it's not a mistake in the eyes of the world, it's merely history.

It's still a mistake in the person who made its eyes though...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)
Raymund Phule (Fireproof)

Enter a "Title" here:
Total posts: 2905
Posted:Mike you can learn just as much from a success as you can from a failure.

They are just two ends of the same spectrum. In failure you learn what not to do, in success you learn what to do. If there is only 1 way to succed and 99 ways to fail, you can learn all 100 ways but you still only learn 2 different results. 1 way works while 99 dont.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Delete

bender
still can't believe it's not butter
Total posts: 6979
Posted:wow man, now that's constructive innit!?
If i followed that line of thought, then i would think that capitalisation, grammar, logic, substantiation of assertions and spelling are poo and crap and stuff.
Please then, consider me an ardent follower of underacheiving failures.

Those brave enough to develop themselves and others often face the fear and contempt of those who feel safe enough not to. It is the latter who have the most to lose when free thinking thankfully flourishes.

Fundamentally, it boils down to the lifestyle choice of fear and love. Ultimately.

quote:Originally said by Bill Hicks:
The world is like a ride at an amusement park and when you choose to go on it you think it's real 'cuz that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud. And it's fun, for awhile. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question "is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered and they come back to us and they say "hey, don't worry, don't be afraid - ever -because this is just a ride. And we... kill those people (laughs). (in a different voice) Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real. (normal voice) It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that. D'ya ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter.... because, it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no jobs, no savings of money.... a choice right now between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world right now... to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defense each year and instead spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded and we can explore space.... together.... both inner and outer.... forever, in peace.Would it not be true to say that many fire twirlers, punks and even those who skank are thinkers too?

long live hicks!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

Kyrian
Dreamer
Total posts: 4308
Posted:yay bender

always an inspiration, thx for making it better again for a bit

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Delete

isotoped
Total posts: 3
Posted:Clearly you don't think enough!

R.O.C.

Delete

Rozi
100 characters max...
Total posts: 2996
Posted:quote: Clearly you don't think enough!
What is "enough" thought? Is it as much thought as everyone else has required to come to the same conclusion? Maybe you shouldn't think "enough", but should think more than "enough"...

As to the original line about thinkers being underachievers, who hide their failures in theories. Firstly, this is a gross generalisation that assumes that all thinkers are not active, not doers. Secondly, it also assumes that intelligent and original thought itself is not an achievement. Thirdly, it contains implicit assumptions about the nature of success and failure, as MikeGinny has poited out. It assumes that the result, if not the one desired, is a failure. As such it undermines the whole idea of learning from and building on experience. As experience is made of success and failure.

Sorry, I really shouldn't post this, as I am feeling crabby tonight, and this will probably be a little scratchy.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Delete

bender
Posted:I think about bambi.
mmm bambi.

Delete

Rozi
100 characters max...
Total posts: 2996
Posted:

Thanks Bender, feeling giggly now!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Delete

Raphael96
old hand
Total posts: 899
Posted:A combination of thought and action is what is best. One without the other is feeble.

Raph

Delete

skankin' punker
Posted:u seem 2 be looking @ my quote in a different light 2 myself.
what is mean is.
the more i think of chalenge that i find fearfull,the more reasons i have to shy away from it, because the more things i think of that can go wrong and couse my self mischief.
this may sound strange but if i stop thinking about what could happen and get on withit (2 c what will happen) the more sucses i seem 2 achive, and even if i fail and do my self damage the damage is moro offten less than antisipated, and then i will have learnt by failure, but will still have the confidence 2 try again soon (if not imedietly).
i hope that this has cleared things up for any misunderstanders.

Delete

Glåss
Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation
Total posts: 2523
Posted:Maybe ya just aint thinking right

Delete

skankin' punker
Posted:many a true word spoken in jest

Delete

Hayduke
Total posts: 11
Posted:For whatever it's worth:

"Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul. One brave deed is worth a thousand great books" Edward Abbey

Delete

bender
Posted:quote:Originally posted by skankin' punker:
i hope that this has cleared things up for any misunderstanders. ahh skankin, thank you for clearing it up, mate!
then may i offer ya this:
"it's better to regret something you twirled then something you didn't burn down to a cinder."
...ah silly fortune cookies!

may your heart be as full of courage as my colon is of vindaloo.

mmm bambi vindaloo
/licks lips (on face)

Delete

Nyx
enthusiast
Total posts: 385
Posted:i'm almost afraid to ask......
what's vindaloo?

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Delete

bender
Posted:i'm a fan of the tasty indian treat! curry vindaloos can cause you to bend it like bender!
that and I'm a keen fan of the show 'Red Dwarf' where it's mentioned alot (maybe because of the heinous biological weapons effect that vindaloo consumption has on one's flatulence. Well at least Lister likes 'em! )

Delete

Fire_Emanator
Total posts: 96
Posted:Ahoy Punk... ..the responses to your post more than anything proved the point...

Armchairactivist pie anyone??

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

Delete

Kurobei
Total posts: 786
Posted:From the very first time I read it I thought; thinking in itself is a complex and fantastic process, how can anyone who thinks like we do call thinking underachieving?

I thine thought back to a topic I had posted a while ago called "Can electrons start wars?" The answer to this is of course Yes. The electrons whizzing about inside your local dictators head will become a thought which will then formulate a plan to start a war. Whilst this is not a nice thing the process of formulating a plan to make things happen on a worldwide scale is never an underachievement be it for good or evil ends.

After you had clarified the comment though, I agreed with you, sometimes you just have to charge ahead without analysing the situation and if you do thing about it for too long you shy away from it, a perfect example is jupming out of an aeroplane, if you just go you're gone but if you stand at the door looking down and thinking about the fact you have to fall all that way and put your life in the hands of a thin piece of material your mind starts to freeze the will and even if you want to do it your body will refuse because your mind has analysed all the things that could possibly go wrong.

My appologies to all the people who have read this and are planning to skydive any time in the not to distant future!!

whats up with all the limitations?

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow
Total posts: 2629
Posted:Ah, but would anyone be able to go skydiving (safely) if it wasn't for the thinker who invented the parachute? or the plane for that matter?
I wouldn't call them underachievers

[ 10 October 2002, 01:16: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

elph
Total posts: 4
Posted:Thought without action is pointless, action without thought is just stupid

Delete

Jude
Total posts: 9
Posted:Surely no single action can take place without a minimum of thought behind it, therefore without thoughts nothing at all would happen. So the only achievements of humankind have been a result of some degree of thought, as is the case with all failiures.
The key is the brain behind the thought. Thoughts from an imorral mind are best hidden behind theories, however, sadley there is no filter as to which thoughts remain theories and which are put into action.

Nice point though! action without thought is stupid! But thought without action, although may be considered a waste, may also be the thing that holds society vaguely together, think of all those bad thoughts, which everyone invariably has, as a cathartic means, to think is better than to do!

But tell me, if you think but produce no theories does this put you in a different catagory to a failure???

[ 10 October 2002, 01:39: Message edited by: Jude ]

Go Hard, Stay Up Forever!

Delete

bender
Posted:Strawberries without cream is pointless. but cream without ice is a good idea.
what?
okay.
good night HoP.

Delete

skankin' punker
Posted:how true u r.

Delete

skankin' punker
Posted:Kurobei sky diving is an amazing experience(1 that ive had many a time).
but u think so much about the posibilities b4 hand, that when it comes 2 action there is no need 2 think as it has become instinct!
is instinct a thought (or an involitary reaction)??

Delete

FireMikeZ
FireMikeZ

Laguna dude
Total posts: 1438
Posted:right on, dude! (btw, for pozee: i been using this a good while, too, but i use it differently, i thinkee --- oooww, damn, XXX stoppit, thinking!)

skydive first, think later! (ignoring safetycheck beforehand & during . . . & yeah yeah yeah)

"in life, knowledge is the booby prize" - (won't tell ya who i heard that from in person)

- ya wanna LIVE, dontcha? experiencin it, gettin satisfaction, LIVIN, dat's da real prize, yo!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Delete

skankin' punker
Posted:agreed

Delete