AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
yes another one, in on a roll toinght.i wanted to know what people wear when playing with fire, either when performing or when practising, as when performing you want to look good.. and stay non- flamable.the first time i tried i was wearing a fleece jacket, not good. now i dont do that anymore.i genrally wear jeans and a polo neck top, although i have spun almost nude *hairy legs gone* but thats another story. i saw someone who wore a sequine vest and matrix style glasses, that looked good becouse of the reflections. what made me really think about it was a essay i read on the gear that people wear while peforming, it was quite intresting , and it talked about the safty aspect along with the fashion side, and looking at fire and its links to bondage. so what do you wear?------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

moiravoidmember
8 posts

Posted:
i have major problems with what to wear. it seems like everything nowadays is made of plastic. im little so its hard to find anything to fit me thats made of leather and not custom made. $$$$ ive never had a problem with things that are form fitting so i dont stick to cotton. wish me luck.

445 posts

Posted:
ok then good luck and the other thing is does anyone have any safty tips i have just decided a cricket box would be a good thing toy as i have just hit myself 4x in the las min OUCH!!! that hurt, and i still have my legs crossed. any others?

Enjoy - A

Skyemember
33 posts

Posted:
I usually just wear black jeans and don't wear any shirt at all. If it's cold I'll wear a watch cap.Skye

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
A cricket box? Please enlighten those of us on the other side of the pond.Anyhow, back to the original question: I've pretty much settled on a uniform of leather boots (motorcycle boots, got 'em used on e-bay), leather jeans (from Wilson Leather, sort of the Gap of leather clothing. Not very high quality, but I'm really abusing them, so maybe that's not a bad thing). No shirt, no glasses (this is key--the few occasions I forget to remove my glasses, I always regret it).I had previously set denim jeans on fire three times (nothing serious ever happened), and that was my cue to invest in leather. I have to tell you, I really do feel almost like I'm wearing armor when I wear them. Plus they look cool.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
i guess I wear black denim cutoffs a lot of the time - and I try to stick to dark coloured cotton clothes. (when i'm practicing). Not only for the fire resistance, I hate the way polyester feels on hot sweaty skin - saturation point is reached pretty quickly. For our show that is coming up we are gonna have reflective stuff attached to our new costumes - *over* the material. That reflective material is usually so scratchy and horrible next to the skin.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I know a bloke who practices with a box as well. (for the uninitiated it's got to do with cricket). It only takes a couple of knocks before their value is fully realised (or so he tells me, how would I know, I haven't got any goolies). tongueClothing wise, cotton gear is good. Though, I find a more important issue is to wet my hair completely. I've got long dreads, and that's a bigger potential risk than setting my pants on fire. Are there any other house of poiers who have long dreads? I'd love to hear how you keep them safe (?) during a performance with fire.

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
i use black cottonwool kung-fu pants.no shirt at all.for practice i wear a cotton sweatshirt.ade,why don't ya try a cottonwool bandana???i cut my long hair,but leave your dreads man!!!good luck.no water can put out this fire.....

frank bentzin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ade, somewhere among the old messages is a thread dealing with dreads and care.As for clothes...sheesh, my costumes change all the time. Up...painted jeans and tank top for more casual things, leather pants and bodice from hell for Ren Faires, leather pants/shorts/skirts and leather shirts for most other things though I have been known to wear a completely chain mail outfit on occassion, as well as other shiney, reflective material. PVC is fun, shiny but hot. My leather is usually black or brown.It all depends on what show I am doing..Ren, goth, family, club, concert, wedding (doing two of those in a couple months)....Anyway, I always make them as form fitting as I can and flexible, and try to keep as much skin as the venue and decency allows uncovered, not to mention as much natural fiber as possible.Damp hair is better than wet, wet can put out torches or cause steam which burns worse than fire. I damp my hair and pull it back somehow.Shoes range from Ren slippers (leather), to stiletto heels, to block heeled boots. Again, depends on the show. In April we will be doing those photo shoots and you'll be able to see some of our costumes (which I make,btw, except for the black leather from Wilsons) if/when I post the photo's. I also love to play with make up and body paints while performing so I can get freaky with those when not in a Ren venue.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

445 posts

Posted:
wellt eh box is what protects the male of the species in the game of cricket... if you know what i mean! and pele poi and stilletos? surely thats more dangerous than fire breathing with petrol? but how???------------------moo? ... is that it?

Enjoy - A

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
ajtag, they are dance stilettos with a steel spike through the heel for reinforcement. I like wearing them, I wear them when not in a show and simply going to dinner sometimes. I suppose it could pose issues for slipping but I scuff up the bottoms, or put a sandpaper type stuff on it so they are pretty slip resistant, and when I wear them I usually perform on our carpet on stage. Just something I am used to...the highest I will go though is 5 inches. I hate platforms! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
AJTAG, to read up on saftey gear, read the thread from about a month ago. "WHEN IS IT CONSIDERED PARANOIA?" personnally i where a large black, ex-military coat that is sprayed with the same anti-flame chemical as drapes and banners in clubs. (when im twirling at night), and a pair of loose pants, thick cotton is my favourite. During the sunnier months i twirl whering whatever. I dont mind spinning topless but i like to where a hat and the pants i mentioned earlier. If im doin anything hectic or unrehearsed ill put the fire-proof jacket on.--------------------------"some people see the world as it is and ask why?Others see the world as they want to and ask, why not?"

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
AJTAG, to read up on saftey gear, read the thread from about a month ago. "WHEN IS IT CONSIDERED PARANOIA?" personnally i where a large black, ex-military coat that is sprayed with the same anti-flame chemical as drapes and banners in clubs. (when im twirling at night), and a pair of loose pants, thick cotton is my favourite. During the sunnier months i twirl whering whatever. I dont mind spinning topless but i like to where a hat and the pants i mentioned earlier. If im doin anything hectic or unrehearsed ill put the fire-proof jacket on.--------------------------"some people see the world as it is and ask why?Others see the world as they want to and ask, why not?"

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i wear a two piece gown that i designed and constructed myself. it is covered with hundreds of fishing reflectors layed out in a scale like pattern. it weighs about 10+ pounds but it glimmers and jangles when i walk. the fabric base is 100% cotton duct material (the stuff used to make carhartt pants) it is a tighter/thicker/stronger weave than denim so it is good with preventing flaming clothes unless you really try. i tie my hair up in a bun with additional bits of metal hanging off of it like chimes. ideally i prefer to dance naked because i feel more comfortable being able to sense where the fire is in relation to my body. when i have too much clothing on i feel bulky and out of touch with the fire.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey all,when doing new stuff that I dont know how to do very well (like doubles and one poi one staff) I wear no top, cuz I find that my skin is more burn resistant than my clothing (which also - doesnt repair itself).My Hemp T shirt seems to be able to withstand prolonged contact with the staff heads...and I have a pair of Cotton Jeans which I specifically set aside for twirling...they are getting some nice marks on em smileGo the wraps...Josh

onewheeledweirdomember
35 posts

Posted:
I discovered that synthetic trousers are not the best to wear if someone is firebreathing through your legs. Used to do a trick called great balls of fire wear my friend would firebreath through my legs, the flames rolling up to my chest and around my body and disapating. However when wearing these trousers the flames didn't disappear completely.The back of my knee to the top of my thigh was on fire. And getting bigger. I tried to slap it out but not too hard for fear of hot synthetic slop sticking to my skin. Thankfully a friend of mine was wearing one of those big ex military fireproof jackets. I hopped towards him, wrapped my leg around his waist and the scary moment was extinguished. Although the two other performers in my troop at the time had a premeditated plan if something was to go wrong - they both just sat and watched drop jawed (although armed with a fire extinguisher and fire blanket) as I hopped around ablaze. Always be ready... I now only wear cotton, wool or jeans. Or some other fabric that I've tested myself before constructing clothes from. [This message has been edited by onewheeledweirdo (edited 02 April 2001).]