Page:
roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
All of a sudden i've become interested in this subject. How many different blood types are there? I know the basics, like A, B, AB, O, pos/neg. Is that all? Which one(s) is common? What ones are rare? Do you know what blood type you are?

I don't know what blood type I am. I'm going to donate blood soon, (I had to wait 12 months after getting a tattoo), so then I'll find out. For some reason I'm really eager to find out...I'd love to have a blood type no one has ever encountered something like blood type KW8- ubblol *shrugs* lol I don't know.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
how long do you have to wait after getting a tattoo to give blood? i think its 6 months, but im not sure

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
It's 12 months here.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I can't remember what blood type I am, my donar card was in my last wallet which decided it didn't want to stay with me anymore. I shouldn't ever have a problem donating unless I spend time in certain countries.

The last time I donated was the first time I could sign up for bone marrow donation however I went to do so after already giving blood so I have to wait till next time, which is in a month I think. I usually go with a couple of my friends who take it in turns to faint. Personally I find the worst part is the waiting around, I've never felt affected by giving blood.

No ones having my organs till I die however, then its a free for all. Unless its someone I know and care about who needs one I can give anyway.

Also, theres no valid reason why gay men shouldn't be allowed to donate and its entirely stupid that they can't.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Written by: myco

Written by: Caben

The rarest blood type is AB- and can be given to anyone......but if you have AB- you can only receive AB-! So being the rarest is great in that your blood can help everyone, but the down side is that if you ever needed blood it is not easily available.

i think thats a bit mixed up, but close. o is the blood type that can donate to anyone, and ab is the type that can recieve from anyone. the blood types are determined by two things..whether you have 'a' or 'b' surface protines covering your blood cells, and whether rhesus factor is present or not.

the rhesus bit determines whether you're positive or negative, (if you've got rhesus factor present on your blood cells you're positive). and there are 2 types of surface protiens that can be on the your blood cells. but there are 4 different combinations. you can have just a (A), just b (B), both a and b (AB), or neither (O).

say you are A blood type, you'll have anti B antibodies in your blood, so if you come in contact with any B protines, your body attacks them as foreign bodies. so you can only accept blood from other A's or from O's who have no surface protines. AB's cos they don't see either A or B as foreign can accept from anyone without reactions, but O's see any protine as foreign, so can't accept from anyone except other O's.

sorry for boring the hell out of everyone, but i get excited about such things...sad eh?

i'm O+, common as they come rolleyes i haven't given blood for ages, and i can't for another month as that'll be 1 year since my last piercing.

shen shui: re donating blood is silly, if i've got something i can spare that'll make a difference to other peoples lives, i'm more than happy to give it.

Add to that, Rh negative blood will attack Rh positive blood in much the same way. (Rh+ won't attack Rh- though, obviously, cuz there's nothing there to attack...) So I, for instance, being A- can only have O- or A- blood.

O negative's universal, anyone can have that, blood banks here are always screaming out for it cuz in emergancys if they don't know your blood type they'll just give you that.

On that topic, if you don't know what your blood type is, chances are you're O+... I was under the impression that was because O's could accept any blood also, and thus there was no risk with the blood... but i might be wrong.

Also... If an Rh- woman becomes pregnant to an Rh+ man, and the baby has Rh+ blood, she's gotta get a great big censored needle stuck in her cuz otherwise her blood will attack the foetus as a forign body... (Don't know if the same is true with a/b/ab blood types... Doc?)

So it's all good fun.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Uhm, count me in on the fainting ones. Oh dear, I hate needles and I only depart with blood when I have to for tests. Sorry... redface
Of course if there's an emergency and they need my bloodtype, I'll be there to help!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Yeah, having lived in europe I can't donate in america... go mad cow disease! Continental europe no less.... (West Germany).

Are you saying you can't donate in continental Europe, or you can't donate in America cause you've been to continental Europe? confused

By the way, "West Germany"'s 15 years out of date ubblol hug

As far as I know, the pregnancy thing is only about rhesus factors, not about AB0 etc

Oh, and I'm 0+, but can't donate due to a whole lot of reasons (slightly anaemic even though I love meat, diabetic, some allergies, no good veins...). My aunt helps run one of the red cross blood donation thingies and told me they wouldn't want me frown And the people there get a whole meal, not just a biscuit!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
When I was giving a blood sample they told me I was a phlebotomist's dream. Big healthy veins near the surface. redface

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Page: