Page:
inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
i was looking on ebay the other day for a nice zippo to go with my fire poi but couldn't find any "poi" related zippos (not that I held out much faith) which got me thinking why doesnt the HOP shop sell "poi zippos"? (just a thought smile)

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Will an umbrella protect against raining lighters?

Surely that would hurt...

Ok I'll stop now.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Wasn't there a thread a while ago about a fire umbrella?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i would have thought after 4 pages malcolm wood have done somethin by now

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
4 BY MY COUNT ITS ONLY 2

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
yoni, give him a chance, he's a busy man! biggrin
Mint Sauce, how many posts per page are you viewing...standard is 25, you probably changed your settings! biggrin

ubbrollsmile

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
Just want to keep this thread on the first page and in everyones minds and hearts... hoping that it will become a reality.

Please make it a reality.

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
yeah i shood go more easily on malcom after all he did create this ****** awesome site and we always eat up his bandwidth in social chat

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
And he does have the COL 2005 project he's doing right now... ubbrollsmile

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Even if it takes 6 months to get this off the ground. I'd love to buy 1. Great idea smile

mech - love the ideas

Are you up for it?
wink;)

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
yeh i like the 2nd gen hop zippo and would love to buy one...where do i sighn up? rolleyes

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Mmmm I like that lighter. Also since giving up smoking i've been tryign to find a reason the buy another zippo to replace my old one that a lost frown
Now i've found firestaff I have a valid excuse I just need a cool design.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i will re do all teh artwork soon, as i would lke to get some more stuff done on them....

Step (el-nombrie)

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
would it be a fumes or soaked wick zippo?

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Soaked-Wick traditional Zippo... HOP couldn't have anything different! lol
HOP could also run a graphic design competition for the best logo design for the new lighters... then have all the members vote for the best 4 or so to go into production...
What ya think?
Cheers, Moka

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

How can Zippos be called windproof if you can blow them out? umm

In answer to your question Zippos are actually windproof... the main reason you can blow it out is the fact humans exhale CO2 which fire cannot burn in... soapbox LOL
Cheers, Moka

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Only just seen this thread!

Awesome idea!

And I reckon a design competition would be a brilliant bit of fun

*wonders how many burning stick men designs would be sent in*

smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
if there was a contest, i would bring my design mojo!

still have to rework those designs to make them better!

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm Moka.. thats all fair and well.. but why do they go out when you flick them through the air? confused

Im still strongly in favour of both a wicked lighter and a butane one biggrin

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
In the spirit of investigation, I just held my zippo up infront of a large fan (yes, it was turned on wink ), and it stayed lit.

I also lit it and threw it out into the garden, discovering that flying through the air doesn't put the flame out either. Lucky really, or I don't think I would have found it until tomorrow, in the daylight smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Flying through the air wouldn't do much, Unless you threw it REALLY hard. *insert some information about velocity and acceleration adn other variables in this experiment here*

As for the fan... hmmm... maybe it wasn't strong enough? What am I saying, It obviously wasn't strong enough if it didn't blow it out!! Maybe it wasn't on a high setting? Although... thinking about it... Did you put the lighter in front of the fan first, and then turn it on? or did you turn on the fan, wait for it to build up speed, and then put the lighter infront of it?

My Zippo constantly blows out when I use it on a windy day. And , in case anybody was wondering, It is a 'real' Zippo, as opposed to those cheap imitations... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The fan's a large floorstanding one that used to be used in an office and it was on full, turned on and up to full speed before I put the lighter in front of it - the flame was being blown at right angles to the wick (which was pointing at the ceiling) and it'd be a pain in the arse to light anything like that, but when I moved it away from the fan, it was still burning.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

893 posts

Posted:
Zippo's are designed to withstand a side on wind. They will go out with a direct blow. If your lighter's going out in the wind then you need to pull more wick out and make sure it's got plenty of fuel. Thats what I found with mine before I lost it.

893 posts

Posted:
Sshh you

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Any news Malcolm?

bounce

alexkidnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Thats one of the best ideas i've heard in a long time.
I'm gonna do a double vote and go for the windproof blowtorch for those hard to light days (we all know how iritating it is) and the zippo for regular use.
What are you waiting for HOP staff, get cracking so I can tell my little brother what i want for my birthday. Please don't make me wait till christmas.
Maybe a tee shirt too.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Blowtorche lighters are really bad for your wicks. They cause direct heat to one spot and can kill your wicks pretty sharpish.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

893 posts

Posted:
On the subject of a Hop zippo. Through work I know of a place that prints onto metal using a technique called lazer anodizing. Basically the lazer burns the image beneath the surface of the metal (kinda like a tattoo) meaning it won't scratch off. They can pretty much print anything you want and yes they can even do full colour. The materials range from really thin sheet metal thats like paper all the way up to big sheets of metal for plaques etc. They even do metal business cards. I'm not sure if they can print onto a zippo but if not then the design could be printed onto a small and thin sheet which could then be glued to the side of a zippo.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
And how much does that cost?

Lots no doubt...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
noodles, doe sit not matter about what type of material it is, surly it need sto be a special alloy to cause the anodisation beneath the surface?

much like the images burnt into the inside fo crystals.

also a zippo has on its base a single letter, thats the note that the lid makes when it opens, and if you add a plate to it, you ruin the note

Step (el-nombrie)

FIRE_SPINNERBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
oh yes malcom please make a HoP zippo i am so good at zippos thou i think it would have to be a fumes

Page: