Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I'm tryin just can't figure it out

Login/Join to Participate

k2damfcSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
I'm relatively new at this. I started off learnin the weave, I can almost do the wave and other tricks like that but I have problems with my left hand. Pretty much all I can do is "Weave like" spins. I can do a forward, backward weave, and a weave and turn. But what I'm tryin to figure out is there any video's or websites that I can goto to learn wraps and stuff like that. I kinda look goofy only doin weaves. But my smilin face still makes me look good. Any help would be great, thanx.
KC

I'm K To The Motha F*CKIN C Home Boy, K To The Motha F*CKIN C

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Hey ho, The videos thread has loads of well... videos so im pretty sure you can learn something from watching peeps vids Wraps are everywhere.

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
if youve got problems with your left hand this might help in getting it all independant etc. put down the right poi, but dont practice one handed per se. some would adivse it, i dont because i dont think it builds up coordinated action. put your hand against a wall, (palm flat) and try spinning your left poi. then start moving your right hand up/down/along to the left/right / making clockwise and anticlockwise circles aginast the wall. while youre doing this try and make sure your left poi is as neat as possible. then move it about while you move your hand. put a cirlce behind your head. behind your hack. through your legs. then do the same with the right hand, then pick up both poi and have a bash.
as for wraps - check out revs post on basic wrap theory. a search should do it. its a well good intro to everything. stalls are also good for direction changes. stalls basically involve taking the tension out of the string at the top of the circle to stop the poi at the bottom of the circle.
you might want to get into some tricks which involove the poi moving in different directions (ie one outwards one inwards, like butterfly). start turing with everything. put the weave under the legs. you can let go of the poi and catch them so they spin in anoter direction.
i seem to remember GSC.com being quoted as a wicked site for wraps. its for glowstringers who are very much into inspirational wraps that bend your mind. hope thats some help. the left hand always sucks - just train it a bit so you can think about your left independantly of your right.
peace

did i leave the iron on?

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Here's a good place to start with wraps
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/wraps.php

Make sure you work on linking moves together and getting in to the flow of it. Have fun and dance!

For some more video lessons
https://www.motsplace.com/poi/poi.html
and
https://www.domorepoi.com/lessons_grandparent.php

Hope thats of some help

k2damfcSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
Thanx mr. squirrel. I'll give that a shot. But as far as learning, Faceless, the video's don't help much, they just show people doin it. It doesn't tell u much, expecially if you can't see the person until the poi does a wrap. But thanx for your help.

I'm K To The Motha F*CKIN C Home Boy, K To The Motha F*CKIN C