Forums > Other Toys > Flower Sticks Vs Devil Sticks

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
my opinion is flowersticks are better because you can slow them down and do soo much more with them

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Flower sticks are so much easier to use.
I was trying to learn with a normal tapered devil stick and I was getting no-where, I made a flower stick and suddenly everything got a whole lot easier!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
hmmm...

Gonna have to go with tapered devil stick. SSSSOOOOO much easier for contact. and balancing moves.

Yes it takes a little getting used to, but after that, they're perfect.

Flowers are great for beginners due to the speed thing, but when you get to trying things like neck wraps to arm rolls, the flowers slow it down too much. Tapered devilsticks also look better to the average onlooker...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
ditto

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ooh..

after 6 votes, its 50-50 biggrin

Im going with Devilsticks are better simply cos I have asked DSAds this question before and he said devilsticks are better. tongue

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
yeah he said i was a wimp for using a flowerstick at his devilstick class at the BJC

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You are tongue

Devils are much manlier than flowers.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I have to get me a decent devilstick, and a decent fire one, too.

The best one I've used is Ads' fire devilstick. Very nice weight, quite heavy for it's size, had a bit of flex... and not too much girth, either.

Where did you get yours from again, Ads? Or if anyone else knows... I also want a heavyish normal devilstick. That way it won't take so much adjustment when I use my aerotech... if it doesn't break after five minutes again...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

You are tongue

Devils are much manlier than flowers.

tongue

TKOFmember
44 posts

Posted:
flower stix are for girls especialy lunna stix
which noddy ueses all the time

the end is nigh and now comence the time of the retarded badger

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Written by: Joint President Sir Noddy

my opinion is flowersticks are better because you can slow them down and do soo much more with them

Ok so i figured i had to put in my opinion even though UCOF has stated it....... I prefer Devilsticks and i believe you can do more with them than flowersticks.

Quite contrary i know, let me explain.

Yes Ds are more difficult to play but you can do everything possible with a Fs with a Ds, with the exception of hook tricks (though even this is dependant on your Fs and you can almost do them on Ds with the sticky outy rubber ends). With regards to playing slowly, yes this is easy with a Fs but also possible with a Ds. Conversely contact and balance tricks are much more difficult with a Fs. I know that generally most people will recommend a Fs to start learning on, but personaly i think it better to start with a Ds. This is because learning Fs can instill some bad habits for when you try and move over to Ds. Grim and bareing it is preferable, it is more frustrating inicially but far more rewarding in the long run. Also i find once you can do a trick with a Ds you can automatically do it with a Fs, however this doesn't necesarily follow the other way round.

Ed, my Fire Ds is the fibreglass core stick from renegade juggling. I have been extreamly happy with it and it is still going strong. Best fire stick i have come across without a doubt!! Finding a heavy normal stick i have found really hard, but the fire stick i use is only 50g lighter than an Aerotec...

Oi,.. Noddy i never called you a whimp!! eek spank

Spin on dudes

Ads ubbrollsmile

Is that magnets!?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ads - just looked on renegade and found nothing, not even one fire devilstick!! They must have stopped doing them...

Be Water My Friend.

ezeeckielmember
32 posts

Posted:
Hi !
So far 11 for Ds and 5 for Fs. I'm really happy of this result ! (cause in France the Fs is more famous)

I agree with most of the points of DsAds.
I would add that I like also Ds cause they look more neat than Fs (if neat doesn't exist let's translate it by pure or essential even if it's not what i really mean). The Fs looks wilder for me and even good jugglers with them make huge corrections thanks to the flower. It's silly but i prefer it to fall if you miss the trick.

By the way i also have to say that handling the Fs is a bit different than the Ds and their shape make them react differently and the more i use them the more i get angry at them not doing what they should hehe. Lately i have bought a firestick which reacts like a flowerstick and it's a challenge for some simple tricks. (even if most of the tricks aren't a problem at all).

DsAds, would you prefer a lighter or heavier stick ?

I have heard about you (for some people on rec.juggling you're even the best 1 devilsticker of the world waouhh congrats!) but couldn't find much about what you do. Do you have videos ?
I do have some if you're interested (goes also for other people here of course)

Salut !
Olivier

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I like both but Flowers are a lot easier to use

I first picked up a flower stick then moved on to a devil stick if it wasnt for a flower stick I wouldnt(Possibly) be able to do devil stick so Flowers are a catapult to the devil!

In a manner of speaking

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
maybe im just being a newbie here, but I think with 100% of my heart and mind that flowersticks are much better than devils. They are so much easier to use (cyrstal stix is the best brand i found by far) You dont get the thud when you what them and they have so much more flow than devils. I have also found that my friends like my flowers more than my devils in looks and i would have to agree a wooden stick just looks kinda stupid unless its got some crazy decoration or lights or something flowersticks have the tassles on the end that sway and bring in a new style of tricks that you just cant do with devils simply because they dont have the tassles. Flowersticks are easier to make and modify for lights/fire. I also have to greatly disagree with whoever said that flowers werent all that good for balancing and contact. Most definately dissagree. My whole style of stix play is very smooth flow and contact, it comes naturaly with flowers whilst using devils everything is more of a hit hit hit instead of staying in contact with the handsticks. Balancing is just as easy with devils if your tassles are stiff enough where they contect to the stick. Show me something you can do with devils that you wouldnt be able to do easier and better with flowers please, i'd love to see something and i need new tricks anyway.

P.S one thing i hate about message boards is its hard to convey emotion through text. Ie sarcasm or tone of voice is not there. Just letting you know im not mad at anyone or yellling at the devilstick lovers, just voicing my opinion. if you didnt think i was trying to be mean/rude you can ignore this part ubbrollsmile

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Twisthem488

Show me something you can do with devils that you wouldnt be able to do easier and better with flowers please, i'd love to see something and i need new tricks anyway.

Watch anything by DsAds. Truly awe inspiring.

I used to be a 'flowers only' person. Until Ads said to use Devilsticks, because of their versatility. I did, and haven't looked back. You don't get the 'hit, hit, hit' with them if you're used to them, I can control them quite wel.

Also, to me, flowers are just too slow, and make it look as if you are cheating by taking the easier option!! biggrin

Each to their own, I guess...

Be Water My Friend.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
yes i do agree DsAds did inspire me when i saw him

im trying to crack double devils

im getting there biggrin

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
eek DsAds online?!?

I voted Devilstick.
For pretty much the same reason as UCOF - ubblol

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

ezeeckielmember
32 posts

Posted:
Hi !

I am definitely interested into some vids from you guys. Do you have some ? Were some of you in Carvin last year and do you plan to go to the next ejc ?
Here's a link to one of the vid i made. I really like propeller and turning around it and throwing the sticks.
Click Here
salut !

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
well there are some vids at crystal-stix.com lunastix.com and stixguru.com they are all of flowerstix but might impress you none the less. i dont konw of any real hardcore sticking vids though and i lack the camera to shoot myself (although im still only learning the basics of doubles) anywho hope this helps : )

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
There's a video in the video section by myself and pyrowill...

That has SOME devilsticks on it..

Be Water My Friend.

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Hey Ezeeckiel

Not sure bout the no1 claim!! redface

I generally prefer a slightly heavier stick, although am finding recently that weight is becoming less and less of an issue with time, nowadays its pretty easy to switch between different weight sticks. Video wise there are only a couple of vids with tiny clips of me, been threatening a vid for a while, now i have a camera i might actually do it soon. Oh and i was at Carvin, unfortunately i cant make it this year, hopefully next year though. Let me know if and when you come to London.

Ed, yep they have stopped selling them. but... here is the site of the manufacturer: Concentrate Juggling equipment

Ads juggle

Is that magnets!?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I have Firetoys on the case. They have the one I want! I'll have to see what their mark-up is, and go from there. Knowing Firetoys, It's a gonna be expensive. I might get Durbs to help me out with that one. He's a mod for them...

Be Water My Friend.

ezeeckielmember
32 posts

Posted:
Hi all !
from my experience, more weight will allow to really slow down the ds, since light moves won't affect it that much. But on the opposite I find them harder to keep cause they stick obviously less to the hs than lighter ones. But i do like to work with different wieghts. Working with a heavier stick is a good training for one (like the turtle carapace in drangonball, remember ?) hehe

Ds,
I was in carvin too so i think i've met you. You were blond hair and you have glasses don't you ? I remember your saw-like tricks (i can't explain better) even though i haven't worked much on them. see you in london 2012 hehe

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
flowerstick is winning! biggrin

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Written by: ezeeckiel

Ds,
I was in carvin too so i think i've met you. You were blond hair and you have glasses don't you ? I remember your saw-like tricks (i can't explain better) even though i haven't worked much on them.

Yup thats me biggrin

Seen your videos, some nice stuff there. I definately recognise your face. I must confess i have stole one of your tricks (the back of HS BTB backwards hook swing). I've been using it in a combo following it by pulling the DS from the point it swings to infront of the body to a backwards fishtail...to halo roll....to opposite hand propellor. ubbidea Still not solid but getting there.

Oh and Oliver i'd be very surprised to find i was still in the UK come 2012. lol **oopps thats gone and doomed me!**

Twisthem488, was me that mentioned contact was easier with a DS. Think i should have explained better what i mean by contact DS, by this i am refering to moves based on staff "contact" i.e. arm rolls, elbow rolls, back spins etc.

See y'all bouts

Ads juggle

Is that magnets!?

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Devil sticks, flower sticks get over it you've all just got staff envy

what you need is a big chunk of metal in your hand none of this airy fairy taping sticks together. Ads knows it in his heart thats why he does so much contact but he just not got the gutts to pick up a mans stick wink

Maybe I sould stop terrorising Hop now and do something productive

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
mad mad mad Tries not to rise to the bait mad mad mad

censored eek tongue

Is that magnets!?

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
who's the bitch? tongue

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
YOU the biatch! ubblol

Is that magnets!?

DevilRoBnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I vote for devilsticks. I learned with a flowerstick and then i changed to devilsticks later (which was really frustrating in the beginning). Now i prefer devilsticks.
EDITED_BY: DevilRoB (1121290594)

Page: