Forums > Help! > Whiplash...any advice?

Login/Join to Participate

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Yesterday, some friends and I went to a watersports place on a lake, where we did this thing (which was loads of fun) where we were sat in a big rubber dingy thing, and got pulled along by a speed boat...making the dingy spin around and jump in the air.

But now I have whiplash, and it hurts like hell. Has anyone got any advice on how to lessen the pain, and what to do to prevent further damage?

Cheers guys biggrin

Anna xxx

Practice as if your hair was on fire...

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
hug

I feel your pain frown I've been suffering from lateral whiplash for nearly 3 years eek after a car accident.

Are you on any pain killers?

It's rubbish to constantly have a stiff neck/back. I'm seeing an osteopath at the moment which is helping. And I've found applying heat to the area really helps in the short term. I've been using one of these clicky here and it does seem to ease off a bit. And they feel really nice!! ubblove

Hope you feel better soon!

gentle hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
awww thankyou, hugs to you too.

I took some pain killers earlier today (before an exam, had to support my head the whole time, it was awful....doubt I'm gunna do too well!), might taks some more though.

And how funny, my mum just brought my a hot wheat pack thing, with lavender in, it's lovely, but I'm going to go lie down because it's heavy to have on my neck.

Thankyou for your support! I hope yours heals soon too. hug

A x

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear about the whiplash Anna & Helz. I spent about a month with whiplash after a wakeboarding faceplant (you gotta love the front tip of the board deciding to cut into the water as you're happily cruising along admiring the rivery wildlife...)

I agree with Helz re topical heat, and strongly recommend this:
https://www.g-domain.com/tiger-balm-products.htm

Probably could get it at an asian store. Similar to mentholatum and deep heat..

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
ahhh Tiger Balm, I didn't think of using that stuff, I have little pots lying all over my room cos it's good for so many things.

After a good night's sleep my neck is already feeling much better...it had got to the point where I couldn't move my head or neck at all, but now it feels like it's on the mend.

I think what may have helped was doing really really gentle excersises, moving my head just a tiny amount, or even just moving my eyes (which apparently makes a tiny movement at the back of your head). I also kept it warm and supported.

Thanks for the advice smile
Ax

Chevnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Have a nice warm bath n put ur neck in, helped me

Chev

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I think Tiger Balm's smell is pretty therepeutic too. smile Pretty impressed you've already got it- is it readily available in Swindon?

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
yeh I love it....And I have left the toughest of men in tears after they've smeared it all over their face, despite my warnings that it WILL make them cry! ubblol

Yeh there's a few really good wholefood shops in swindon that sell it, but I've got most of my supply from festivals where there're loads of stalls selling it.

Ax

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Goto the Dr NOW! You might have problems for the rest of your life. Iv had it before and it took me over 6 months to recover (car crash). And only recently, my neck "poped out". The Dr said it is pretty common, and i wasnt even doing anything heavy.

Tigerbalm etc will help now but if you have put you neck out, you have to see a chrio.

I had to spend time at the physio and i also went to massage. That took near 2 months to recover. 3 months after its only %99 now. You may not even notice any neck problems untill sometime down the track. Best to get it sorted now, so you dont have re-occouring problems in the future.

try : Heat pack

: hot bath

: massage

: deepheat/ tiger balm

: Accupunture / accupresure : https://www.eclecticenergies.com/acupressure/howto.php

Also sleeping is a major way to heal. If you dont have good neck support at night you wont heal fast. peace angel

Good luck

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Tiger Balm's awesome stuff lol.. as for letting you smear men's faces in it- you must have some power over them ubblol

I digress. Back to whiplash- Dr4g0n7 does have a point with getting it looked at. Better safe than sorry- even if it means having to get your head around (no pun intended) the public health system..

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...it feels SO much better now, 99% better in fact...so should I still go see a doctor? I'm not taking any painkillers, so the pain isn't being disguised or anything like that, I can move my head and neck easily in all directions, it almost feels completely normal again. However, it seems a bit odd because it's gone quite suddenly from being the most painful thing ever and not being able to move my head or neck at ALL, to now feeling basically better again.

I really don't want to get recurring problems, but would feel a bit silly going to the doctor when I'm not feeling any pain now.

What do you think?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Well, I didn't see a doctor when I had mine, and it more or less disappeared completely to the best of my knowledge. Silly thing is Tiger Balm didn't occur to me at all when I had it.

You could take things slow and see how it goes. I wouldn't jump back on a big rubber dinghy boat thing straightaway.. you know wink

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
tee hee, no I certainly won't! Actually, I don't think I'll ever partake in any kind of rubber dingy speed boat combo ever again!

*runs off to inhale more tiger balm*

spinningDavienewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Tiger Balm is good stuff...... I have also used a towel.. dip it in hot water and roll it up so when you lay down it supports your neck... you can also put some lavender oil on as this helps the muscle relax!!

Hope you feel better!!!!

Davie!!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Well....i hope i jumped the gun smile Sounds like your feeling better? If it stays at %99 for more than a week then you should get help ubbangel I never reaslsed how important and fragile a neck is till i had mine go "out".

Anyway im going to keep asking how it is everyday wink untill its better ubblol smile

So how is it? wink biggrin

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I like my neck.. it's the perfect place to put my head, I find ubblol

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I hope u took full adavantage of feeling bad and bossed Jake around lots! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
I boss Jake around anyway, he's hopeless! (Jake's my twin brother by the way, in case anyone was wondering)

Dragon it's ok, my neck feels 100% better now! So it's all good.

Yeh when it was at it's worst it just affected everything I was doing, it was soooo annoying. And Ry you are so right, it is the perfect place to put your head, it's SUCH a clever design! All those little bones work together to hold up the head which is really quite heavy if you let it go floppy then try to hold it up.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
What is tiger balm? Where did u get it in swindon Anna? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

cheekyfirestarmember
27 posts

Posted:
i am pretty sure that boots the chemist sells tiger-balm

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Vixen do you know Swindon Pulse? It's a wholefood shop on Curtis street in town. I'm pretty sure they sell Tiger Balm there.

xxx

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Oh and as for what it is....hmm it's a brown (sometimes white) balm, which has a mentholy kinda smell, but it's also kind of sweet spicy- like chai. It's really good on your temples if you have a headache, and on bites or stings, and on your neck if you get whiplash! If you put it on your temples next to your eyes it makes your eyes water, it's really strong stuff, but looovvveelllyyy! ubblove

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

this stuff is magical i tell you. many hugs and thanks to Ry for introducing me to it!

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah thats the stuff i bought.... got it in boots, was £4,99 hope its worth it Anna!!! Smells like a cross between aniseed balls and juicy fruit chewing gum! xxx