• You must now select Courier Delivery if you wish to receive items before Christmas.

Forums > Social Chat > Shameless Self Promotion

Login/Join to Participate

magicmonkey
BRONZE Member since Jun 2004

Total posts: 33
Posted:well I've just started a poi site (literally just finished uploading) and I need people to come and visit and make posts and all that sort of stuff, generally liven the place up, please pop over and have a look at:

http://www.poijoy.urevised.com
br>

p.s. There is a link to HOP on the links page so I hope the moderators don't mind my shameless self promotion! redface

Delete Topic

.:star:.
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:A couple of bits of constructive critism biggrin

* Pale blue on white is really really difficult to read
* The top frame is huge, maybe if you made it smaller then it would mean a lot less scrolling when viewing stuff the lower frame
* On the links page, its difficult to work out which link you are refering to, the link above or below, the spacing might need changing. (also HoP-impersonal????)

Its got potential

sorry to criticise but I hope that it helps to make your site better

Delete

Valura
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

Valura

Mumma Hen

Total posts: 6391
Posted:Written by:
You all know this one, THE fire spinning site, covers just about everything but can be a bit impersonal

hop impersonal?
and your promoting your site on here? eek

dats a bit wude.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Delete

PyroMonkey
GOLD Member since Jan 2005

PyroMonkey

b...bal...lence?....

Total posts: 370
Posted:Well Star and Valura just about cover it. the top banners huge, change the colours etc..
id probably give it a background of some sort, nothing to huge, just something sutle. also probably wanna change the logo, the standard wordart looks kinda tacky.
its got some way to go but it'll get there.

impersonal...... hmmmm......

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:I reckon the last two points have covered it shrug

Isn't there a rule somewhere saying no promotion? shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

linden rathen
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 6942
Posted:cool site and id go with what star says the logo needs to be smaller try and balance the page 1/5 logo, header and links section the rest info.

also DONT USE FRAMES, making it so that the header is always at the top is annoying as **** maybe use frames to put links etc permenatly at the side but at the top it just uses too much space and makes the page look bad when you have a scroll bar only for the bottom 2/3rds

back

Delete

linden rathen

linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:with rist of sounding anti HoPist id say this site can be a bit daunting certainly - maybe not impersonal but certainly daunting

we have well over 100 regular posters and to a newbie thats pretty scary

so maybe it can be a bit scary because of its pure size

back

Delete

PyroMonkey
GOLD Member since Jan 2005

PyroMonkey

b...bal...lence?....

Total posts: 370
Posted:fair comment, i remember when i was a noob it was a bit difficult to get my head around it all, it is good once you get down to it though.

one more thing.... i promise this is the last....

youve got "poi chat - chat about poi" i know the whole site is meant for poi but it would be good to have a bit in there for the staffers and the other fire spinnering stuff.

and i just noticed on the browers bar up the top its called "New page 1" wink

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:Written by: linden_rathen

with rist of sounding anti HoPist id say this site can be a bit daunting certainly - maybe not impersonal but certainly daunting

we have well over 100 regular posters and to a newbie thats pretty scary

so maybe it can be a bit scary because of its pure size

Well you've got exactly what I mean here, time for some rephrasing methinks!

I know the log is pretty awfull but I'm just rubish with graphics so there's currently a logo competition with the winner getting some sock poi, please feel free to join in, I could use the help and everybody needs the socks!

Thanks a lot for all the input, it's good to get some honest feedback rather than a friend telling you you're great when it's only half done! I'll spend some time sorting stuff out over the next few days but for now I'm going to bed!

Delete

linden rathen

linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:cool smile

*bounce *i still got to post the first ever non admin thread wooot biggrin

back

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:Written by: PyroMonkey

fair comment, i remember when i was a noob it was a bit difficult to get my head around it all, it is good once you get down to it though.
one more thing.... i promise this is the last....
youve got "poi chat - chat about poi" i know the whole site is meant for poi but it would be good to have a bit in there for the staffers and the other fire spinnering stuff.

There's a greneral spinning forum in there for all non poi spinning and other fire type stuff, hopefully that should cover it but I don't want to but a forums up for each art as that would take away from the poi focus I think. Besides, I' can't spin a staff to save my life!

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:Written by: PyroMonkey

Yeah, this is something I'm working on, I've changed the header on EVERY SINGLE PAGE so it should read 'POI JOY for all your poi needs' but it's still reverting to that New Page 1, something I'm getting pretty annoyed by at the moment, if you know how to stop the head title reverting then please let me know!

Delete

SILVER Member since Jan 2005

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:The title problem is on the frames page (i'm guessing index.html) . You need to change the title on that.

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:have done already, it keeps reverting though and I have no idea why

Delete

onewheeldave
GOLD Member since Aug 2002

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3252
Posted:Congratulations on not using javascript and other gimmicky rubbish smile

I think you should scrap the frames entirely, they don't seem to be serving any useful purpose and they don't look good. In addition they cause problems with bookmarking, printing and on searches; which is why hardly anyone uses them anymore.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

JauntyJames
SILVER Member since Dec 2004

JauntyJames

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3533
Posted:.:screams in horror:.

Frames! Arrrgg!!

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:ok ok, I'm working on a site without frames at the moment but I don't know how to add my logo and menu to the top of the galleries and forums pages, that's why I'm using frames at the moment. Sorted out the size of the top frame, put a new (but still temporary) logo up, sorting out the links page as we speak, sorted out the 'New Page 1' issue, if anyone could tell me how to get my logo and menu on the top of the gallery and forum pages I'd be grateful!

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:HAH!! A whole day wasted but I'vw got rid of the damned frames! biggrin
EDITED_BY: magicmonkey (1120332302)

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:well consider this a re-launch, I've sorted out a lot about the site, put some lessons up, sorted out some propper content and got rid of all the frames etc, come have another look and maybe sign up if you like!

http://www.poijoy.urevised.com
br>
ta

Magicmonkey

Delete

TinklePants
GOLD Member since Jul 2005

TinklePants

Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator

Total posts: 4217
Posted:I always use frames on my sites (there's been many).
My current site has no regular visitors though and there's still stuff missing that i havent got around to uploading. By the way it's a site to display graphics i've made.

And did I here the word competition? WHOOPIE!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

magicmonkey

Posted:hell yes there's a competition, I currently have a proffesional logo designer working on the site as well but I'd much rather have a user submited logo, head on over and log in!

Delete