JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
has any one try'd spining whilst on stilts its somthing that ive been entertaing the idea of for some time now and think it would look great even more so with fire so was just wondering if any one has try'd it and if it was possible to pull off weavesmiley

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
yep, tis possible, we do a stilts and poi routine in my fire troupe, it limits the moves and you have to be V. confident on stilts, but it does look specky and is good fun. I think we even have some pix up on the web site of our poi spinning stilters... check out https://www.wisp.house.cx
and go to recent shows. I know there are pix on our National Celtic Festival page under that heading wink
have fun!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
Seen it done a few times and have done it my self a few years ago although not with fire.

Both te Pooka (Sp?) & Chimera have used stilts & fire and it does add an extra dimension to the shows.

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I've been trying this and finding it rather difficult. Evish is right, you have to be very confident - which is what i need to work on!

I find that I can't get the confidence to move too much when i spin on stilts, let alone dance!! I think i need to get over my fear of heights!! If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them!

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
thanks for the imput i was looking at the stilts that decortors and plaster's use there spring mounted and are like an extention of you leg with a sprung loaded foot so they mimic your move ment

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I've never had too much trouble spinning on stilts. It helps to practice moving around on the stilts while spinning, instead of just doing things that are easy to do in one spot.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
el ginger 1...thats the kind of stilts i'm using. I'm still finding it really difficult! I think my lack of strenght isn't helping!

ooh and incase anyone is interested, these are the stilts I have. They are plasterers stilts with springs etc but they are a lot cheaper than duras etc. I'm finding them rather difficult to use but everyone else that has a go seems to be able to walk + dnce about on them really well really quickly (much to my dismay!)
https://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=31814&name=stilts&sfile=1&jump=0

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
My friend walk on stilt and do Poi, I see difficulty in turning.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
Star & el ginger I highly recommend that you learn on peg stilt before using the dura style stilts. As it will help you with your balance and control far more than just jumping onto duras.
Also you may want to make your first set of pegs short ones about 15-30cm high and then make bigger ones as your confidence grows.

My first time on 3 1/2 ft stilts I didn't let go of the door frame help the next week I tried baby stilts and ran round the room on them and with my new found confidence moved on to the bigger set.

I also suggest you wear knee pads and that you practise falling onto you knees (it actually doesn't hurt and is a slow descent but is quite daunting).

Never ever fall with straight arms as you will break them!!

And remember to stretch off before & after.

Oh & have fun!

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Yea as long as you keep your balance its grand (ive never fallen -my balance is awful) i sugest dura stilts (spelt it wrong i think) as there easier to balance on and you can stand still move forwards and backwards ect............

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice ZeeBoo. I'll try that. biggrin

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
i saw my mate spinning on stilts the other day, looks quite cool and apparently sets you up for spinning on a unicycle - oh the possibilities are endless!! ubbloco

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I spun poi pretty well my first time on stilts.
Limiting but not particulary difficult.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
Show me some through the leg (stilt?) stuff :-)

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
To get confident, I found the best thing was to practice little moves like a quick jump, try finding your ballance by seeing how long you can stand still without taking a step. Practice your fall.. (with kneepads!!) as was said earlier in this thread, then try things like skipping, jumping higher and doing half and full turn spins on one stilt.
When you are confinent at all the different ways that the stilts can move, then bring your poi into it biggrin
Yay! *happy Dance*
Twirlage on stilts!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
have a chat to moonpixie and bec and puk. They all do a lot of twirling on stilts.

in fact Im surprised that none of them have seent his thread yet!! smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
ummm yeah I've done some fire twirling on stilts... here's a pic of me twirling a 3m staff on 1m stilts...

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=2

yeah your turning circle isn't as quick on stilts as it is on the ground... but with a heavey staff that kinda works out well biggrin

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
cheersbeerchug for all the advised i really aprecieate it ........ am gunna have to get me some stilts now. although it would probably be a wise idea to start of on low pegged stilts and i know that falling is probably guna hurt i cant help but through me self in at the deep end i learn more quickly that way

smile its free

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Well i did the right thing in searching first (star will be happy wink )

I had a go on my mates stilts and did a bit of spinning on them and i luv it!!
atm im just trying to find out where i can get some, but all the ones i can find are the kind with two poles to stand on (sorry dont know the real name) i realy wanna get the kind that are just one pole, like the ones in moon pixie's pic (realy cool pic btw) but probably not as high.

Can aaaaaannnnnyyyy body help me out in where i can get some, i live in aus so the closer the better rpob, but i dont mind paying for postage.

Cheers all!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I think your refering to Dura stilts, these have twin downtubes, coupled at the base and foot plate, and linked mid section via a two way spring assembly, aka Plasteres stilts, drywall stilts, skywalker stilts, and a host of otherwise same products / clones proabably made from same design moulds / extruding equip etc, only more sensibly priced. I've compared like for like, originals and different brands, and to be honest can find little or no substantive / sustainable quality difference.

Pyro, your probably better off constructing your own 'peg' stilts, there are numerous designs available, the materials will vary in construction ease, and you will end up with a customised fit, far more comfortable etc.

Send me a pm if you want further details,

mark

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

Was thinking of getting some stilts to.....I am going to make my own peg stilts to practice on but was thinking of getting these stilts as a final set :-

https://www.stilts.com/SIIMag.html

Any comments about them? Anyone tried the two leg support types before and do they make it easier to move etc with them?

Cheers biggrin

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin