Forums > Social Chat > korea is a funky place

Login/Join to Participate

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Hi there!
I am in Korea, having flown over from NZ on Sunday 28th of June 2005. In addition to my blog, I am posting a little forum here for any and all poi-heads whith an interest in Korea and poi.
I'm really hoping someone sticks their hand up and says let's go for a spin because, to be honest, I'm really intimidated by the concept of sparking up in a country where i don't speak the language and don't know the rules about such things.
til then tho.

Everyone can be divided into two groups: those who can be divided into two groups, and those who can't

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
It has nothing to do with poi but this is just too cool

Front page of the Korea Times today:

"KOREA WILL DEVELOP SUPER-FAST FLYING BOATS"

Everyone can be divided into two groups: those who can be divided into two groups, and those who can't

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Ok. It looked funnier in the paper

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
it sounds cool ubblol
whats korea like anyway?

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
one of my school friends went to Korea for a holdiday, and from the pictures it looks nice, plus they sell noodles called "smack" and when my mates dad was asked if he had anything to declare in customs when he arrived back in England he said "yeah, four packets of smack in that bag" and apparently about 7 or so of the customs people jumped on the bag to reveal the noodles tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I found a Korea on the ground once, but it melted when I put it in my pocket.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
All I know about korea is from watching M*A*S*H everyday! Not really the best source of info!

Where abouts are you in Korea?

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Bleeerrrhhhhh It's hot. Air so hot and thick it is seriously like walking through soup. My head is messed up severe from heat and last night's binge with the other teachers. My big mission today was to take some shoes back to walmart to exchange for a smaller pair. I even had a note written in korean and everything. Bt I forgot the reciept, so here I am - jumped off the bus and into the frst i-caf that I saw (costs about 70c(US) per hour) to get of the stinking hot street.
Um

For you, .:star:.
I'm in Daegu. the 3rd largest city. And the muggiest on account of it's in a basin surrounded by mountains. About 2.5mil peeps.
This is a nice cafe. The chairs are comfy and noone's smoking. It's loud with game noise and chattering boys however. ratio girls:boys=20:1

guh.... so ill! too afraid to venture back into the heat,
also i've screwed up the only thing i meant to do today.

blrrrrrgggghhhh

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
dude, i think you just tripled your post count by starting this thread tongue i'm so excited for you being all overseas and stuff. when do you start teaching? maybe you could ask some of the students if they knew about the laws and stuff, them knowing english and all. also, not sure if you've already done this, but look in the 'meeting others' bit to see who else is in korea. hug have fun!

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:

hi bro!
hug
miss you.
today is good fris weather.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Aw poop. I just wrote a big screed then lost it when i added this page to my faves.

I want to fris like a mad thing. I went for a walk to try and find Beomeo park but it must be too big to see or something. I'll try again tomorrow in the daytime. I miss frizzing ubbcrying so bad ubbcrying so very very bad ubbcrying WAAAAAH

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Today I finally learned how to say "Please speak slowly and use small words".
I guess it's flattering that the ladies at the sushi place think I might be able to understand them. Fair enough, I can order a meal and I can obviously count to a million, but jeez! I'm definitely not even near approaching native level.
So, good luck to me!

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
hehe
i just read some of ur blog

Written by:

It's my last day and I can be as eccentric as I want. Not to the degree of photocopying my nuts, perhaps but there's an undeniable element of license given to a guy with nothing to lose.

ubblol

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
nyaah haaa!
i really need to write some more there I think.

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
This week I went looking for a suitable place to burn. There's a park near where I live so I went for a wander after classes to scope it out. It turn out "park" means "big hill covered in trees" so that place is out. Also I need to ind someone responsible here who will come and watch me burn. The trick is getting someone to come along who will not think that I have invited them:
a) so that I can show of my steez
b) because I am too afraid o disasters to atemptit on my own

I mean don't get me wrong, I love spinning. But it's a sad fact that for me I need other cats around to validate my burning. I could quite happily go anywhere with glowy sparkly type things but to warrant all the effort of fire you really need spectators and prefereably at least one other burner.
Well, at least when you're in my situation, that is.

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
sounds like you overcame your acquiring-kero and knowing-laws-re:burning issues, only to face new burny problems. bugger.

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:

I think I'll pick up some new poi tricks once I have a real computer that can play the vids I have. THEN I'll get my [censored] together re: public performance

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
At a guress your in South Korea right?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
That would be the one, Willy, yes. South Korea it is.

Yip.

And just for the record, this is the Republic of, not the Democratic People's Republic of.

i am quite bored right now

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Try overthrowing the government, thats always fun to do ina new country

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
it's fun to do in any country

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
do not give me ideas.

I play hangman with my (high school) kids on saturday afternoons. i give them phrases like

"I would rather be playing with my friends than studying"

and

"I am going to do what I am told forever until I die"

Actually i didn't do that one; it's a bit strong, but I'd like to.
EDITED_BY: wu wei (1124096008)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Some friends of mine taught music at a school in Korea, it was called the Gandhi Independent School. Then some of the students came here (Brisbane) for Festivals. The kids were great, groovy and probalby would be lots of fun fo ryou to meet.. would you like me to try find out more for you?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
Korea's great, it's the only place you can buy a dog sandwhich... joking joking, don't want to offend people... nah, it really is great.

So what your saying is, if I take just ONE more pill...

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Yeah, newgabe, that would be thuper!

I teach kids on the weekend. It's kinda depressing cause they don't wanna be there. Forced by their parents and all. Don't get a lot of autonomy. Oh well, education keeps em off the streets.

----------------

And actually, Skit, I've had some dog soup. Once you're tried korean beef you will know why a nice fresh dog isn't so bad.
Incidently, dog ain't that shithot. It's tough and there's not much flavour, no matter how hard they beat them.

wu weiSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
The lecturer said, "A double negative, in many cultures, equals a positive. BUT, in no culture does a double positive equal a negative,"
A voice from the back: "Yeah right,"