Forums > Technical Discussion > Help....i'm having trouble finding staffs that don't break!

Login/Join to Participate

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning for about 1 year now, and I seem to have trouble finding staffs that don't die on me. I had a really great one that got nicked, but I can't remember where I got it from! Anyway - I got another that was sectional...I was practising outside the bar with it lit...I threw it up in a cool spin...and it came down in two pieces eek that didnt go down too well with my employers.,..had to blag it and say it was a new trick (thank god i caught both pieces!) So that was the end of that, I complained and got my money back.

The next one was wooden core from firetoys, so I figured, if its not in two pieces alreaqdy, it can't break. Was spinning last night, only had this staff 2 weeks, its only seen 'active service' about 3 - 4 times...when a flying lump of flaming metal flew off...luckily no one was hurt, but i worry when the screws come off. Any idea's where I can get a decent one, about 4.5 ft, maybe a bit bigger...I can't afford any more accidents.

I only use Parrafin to spin with, so I don't understand why they get so damaged!

Thank You
Lou xx hug

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
Make sure you whipe off excess fuel of the metal around the wick with a towel or cloth.

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
ye be cursed with staff bad luck! Aieeeeeeeeee he may be contagious! tongue

home made staffs smile Build one yourself and go for it.. It's fun, and if you make em strong, they'll last smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
I aways wipe the fuel off after i've finished, i'm just worried now about going getting my money back. The shop owner can be a bit of an arse frown so we'll have to see what he says.

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
The fuel is not the problem, its what the staff is made of that is. Wood core staff are notoriously prone to breakages. You want an Aluminium core staff, you'll have trouble breaking that. A great place to buy them, where I bought mine is TePooka Click me . They custom make all the staffs to how you want it, if you want to do contact then make sure you get one heavy enough to do so. I think they are revamping the website so to order stuff you just have to contact them. The staffs here are a hell of a lot cheaper and better quality than anything I've seen in shops.

If they don't take your fancy then try searching the staff forum, there are many threads asking which staff to buy thee, you can probably find one to suit you. wink

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson