Forums > Social Chat > how many fire toys are there????

Login/Join to Participate

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
ok im reely interested in finding out how many different fire toys there are.i mean everyone knows about poi satff ans double staff, but i want to find another toy to start up, one that not everyone knows or has seen, theres crosses,(which i am compleatly unco at) fire swords and the 3 pars split staff(like in some martial arts flicks just with fire) and theres also fire fingers, but does anyone elst know of any more???i reely wanna make and start something reely different. grin------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
The sky is the limit when it comes to fire toys. Almost any martial arts weapon can be made into a fire-prop. In some routines we use little sticks, that are about the size of glowsticks. Variations on well known styles by putting the wicks in different places can make interesting fire props too. I'm working on spinning 4 poi at once right now, I'll let you know when I get it down.

^_-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
how far can you stretch your imagination? i just made up a jacob's ladder that i love to use. there are torches, fans, single chains, whips, bowls, juggling balls, contact balls,nunchucks,ropes, jump ropes, sculptures, paintings, umbrella's (made that one up last month), Fireworks has these things called firettes, hula hoops, Chris made a flamethrower......if you can think of it then try it.this goes along with what i was wondering earlier...what are people's favorite toys/tools? I love my single long chain and my jacob's ladder.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
just a lil hint for spinning 4 poi at once is put one on each index finger and one on each pinkey, that way you can spred them easily when they tangle, 4 poi is my latest feat, i can now do any move(not includeing the one handed butterfly) on 4 poi that i can do on 2.(damn im good*looks stupid* just kidding) smile------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Um, Pele.....What exactly is a jacob's ladder?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Endangered Sanity....What I did was take two four foot long chains and hook them to one handle. At the very bottom I attached a wick in between the two chains (hooking each end of the wick to the chain by the copper wire I use to hold the wick together). I crimped the chain above the wick and added another wick, etc...for five wicks.I do alot of swing release, duck and turn typr moves with it. It is heavy but much fun to play with.I also came up with a design for this with glowsticks (since I talk to Simos so much and I know that's what he uses mostly), except I don't sinch the strings together, I just tie the glowsticks in place on the string so it looks like a DNA strand.They are much fun and when we do our filming in April I will be able to send in some photo's.Look of fire one:ooo>-----OLook of glowsticks one:---------------l l l l l ---------------Maybe it isn't new but I like them.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 30 March 2001).]

Pele

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Sounds pretty cool!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
devil sticks (hippy sticks, rhythm sticks, whatev) used to be hot a few years back... seem to have died a bit though. i still like 'em.

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
for my self, i pretty much only use firefans

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i do rope spear (1 very long poi chain bout 6-8 feet long used for doing hugh fancy wraps)i also use flags (non fire of cource)

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Something that everyone neglected to mention...Fire Diablo.

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
fire diablo??? i do diablo but ive never heard of fire ones?? curious, are there any sights where i can see footage of fire diablo???------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
i have a firediabolo,but i have to admitt it's not working very well.so i don't do it in show's.as well it's really dangerous when you don't catch it and the hot metall disappears in the audiance!!!

frank bentzin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It's either Renegade Juggling or Dube that sells fire diablo, though no footage you'd be able to see whats available. And one of them sells one that is not made of metal (tho I can't recall what it is made of). Just so you know.

Pele

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
renegade.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
In reality though, its not really the obscurity of the toy, its what u can do with it, watching Bobrob and his style, which is totally different to Finn, but both are amazing with the same toy, but have such completely different looks.I am not a fan of the 4 poi (sorry adrian) they often end up looking like 2 really big poi and i have yet to see a move look fantastic with 4 poi. I think the more obvious move for that respect is the 2nd wick of the original set of poi.But then who am i to judge really (i aint that crash hot in reality myself)....and this is probably right off the point and lots of toys are good, but just "bigger" isnt always better.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Frenzie **is** crash hot people - don't belive a word of her self-depreciating bollocks. Finesse and flash are two different things and often an uneducated audience can't tell the difference - here we have a very well educated audience... I'll be the first to say that sometimes flashiness compliments well-grounded finesse beautifully, but flash all on it's own is just that; it lacks substance and quality and anyone with a subjective view of what's on show won't be too impressed.Showing off is perfectly okay, given that the moves/skills/toys that are on display are executed well. Showing off "just because you can" proves you're just another punter who's hopped on the fire-bandwagon. Next stop is the end of the line.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
using 4 poi properly would look like someone using double staves...its not supposed to look like 2 double sized poi...on the other hand - what is a technique supposed to look like? I dunno smileto each their own, but I personally would be a hella lot more impressed by someone using 4 poi like double staves than someone using 4 poi exactly like 2 poi. smileJoshPS - once while waiting in an Indonesian airport I saw an Israeli guy (I can only assume he was, cuz he was wearing space tribe tights, and was carrying a fire toy - and he looked Israeli) carrying a tri-staff...ie a three pronged staff...like a cross but with three smileCool thing was I was sitting there listening to some Trance CD (I dont remember what it was - it was about 2am after about 18hours with no sleep and jetlag) I look up see this guy, and am checking out his tristaff, and he looks over at me sees me looking at the staff, and gives me a knowing smile smileoh well - I got a kick outa it smileLOLJosh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 06 April 2001).]

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
its not somuch sympoly the abscurity im after in a new fire toy, its the challange, thats why i love doing 4 poi at once, its verry difficult to keep them seporated, its a challange, and i figure the more abscure the toy, the less ppl will know how to use it and the more of a challange it will be for me to learn, i mean, i fire breath well, i fire eat well, i can staff ok and poi well,im running out of new things to attempt to concure, its the thrill of tameing the flame in a way you never have before that gets me going. i think i might just invent something thats kinda hard to use but looks great, the only problim with that is im not verry creative so its gunna be a ahile smileanyway ive lost track of my train of thought and am rambeling again.adrian.------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
just another quick thing about what flash said about flash and finness and showing off.it might be different for different ppl buti might be lacking in one or both, actuley im sure i am, but from a personal point of view i reely dont care what my fire daceing looks like to spectators (as i dont do gigs verry often) im reely only in it for the personal satisfaction and good feelings i get from the flame.as for showing off......guilty, i do show off a lot, but once again, im reely only there for my owne bennifit and the feeling of the flame.im sure there are others that think like me, and others tht dont, each to there owne methinks.....just had to put my 2 sents in.ive lost my train of thought again.damn i have a short attention spann frownadrian------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
while on the topic of performance flash and finesse...A practitioner of Anything who truly loves what they do and are well practiced will look amazing at what they do.You dont have to be performance focussed to be a good performer, although you DO have to be a good twirler to be a good performer...And Flash - I think you might be surprised...I think anyone can tell if someone is graceful and has a true affinity with what they are doing...I dont think you have to be trained to percieve grace, good form is easy to recognise...and great form attracts attention better than a backflip smileJosh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
In most cases and most disciplines I agree with you Josh, but consider the "WOW" factor of fire and the lack of exposure to it that most audiences have. generally (and I emphasise this word) people see fire and are entranced, whether the twirler is a performer or a punter. I personally wouldn't really have known good from bad (unless they were obviously extremely bad) until I started getting into myself. It just all looked spectacular.subjective and objective...two of my favourite words.[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 06 April 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?