Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Apex Poi Courses - Beginners and Intermediate

Login/Join to Participate

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
smileHi folks! smile

Here’s the details of the next Beginners and Intermediate Poi Spinning courses. weavesmiley Updates are also available at www.poispinning.com. Places are limited so book early to avoid disappointment!

smileThe next Beginners Poi Courses will run as follows:

July courses: start July 18th & 19th
Mon (Camden Town) 7:30 - 9:30pm
Tues (Elephant & Castle) 7:30 - 9:30pm

Courses run for 6 weeks. Exact venue details are provided once you have booked on the course. Price: £75(concs available). Here's whats on the course...

The Beginners course will teach you about thirty basic moves and how to put them all together so that you can flow from one to the other. cool Starting at the very beginning with how to hold your poi, we swiftly go on to moves such as reels, tuck turns, the weave, the backwards weave, the windmill, the butterfly and the fountain. (If you can do all of these moves already contact me regarding the Intermediate course). We will also explore basic concepts such as turns, follow time, linking moves together, and opposite directions, allowing you to begin to invent and explore your own moves and style. The course culminates in a show, eek so we will also work on choreography and presentation. Expect to work hard but have a good laugh with the others! biggrin

smileThe next Intermediate Poi Course will run as follows:

July course: starts July 20th 2005
Weds (Camden Town) 7:30 - 9:30pm

Course runs for 6 weeks. Price £75 (concs available). There are 12 places in total available on the course.

The Intermediate course focuses on how to invent new tricks and develop your own style, helping you make poi your own. cool Each lesson will explore a new concept, (for example alternating, take outs, mixing planes etc) using several tricks as examples, that will enable you to invent your own moves based on that concept. The course will also look at new tricks such as waist wraps, stops, push thrus and behind the back weave. ubbloco

Your teachers will be Monique Aislabe and Kevin Shaw. Monique is an established performer, performing solo as the Ginger Ninja and as part of the international fire troupe Surface Tension. She has been teaching poi for several years, and until recently ran her own courses in Camden Town. She has been extremely popular with students on the Apex poi courses, and is known for her warm, patient and intuitive style of teaching.
Kevin has been juggling for over 14 years and began his poi career by teaching his teacher moves after the first 5 minutes! Since then he has been teaching and performing all over the world. In total Kevin has taught several thousand students, both informally and at juggling workshops, and is generally acknowledged to be both a cutting edge spinner and an excellent teacher.

smile To reserve a place or if you have any queries contact me at courses@poispinning.com or 07905 949 441.

Well, I look forward to hearing from you.

See you soon! ubbrollsmile

Michal Kahn

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
fourplaces left on tuesday course, six on mondays, and four on the Intermediate...

michal@juggler.net

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Damn fine book you got there Ms. Michal.
smile

There are other threads you know wink

hug

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
Ta there! now i will have a smiley evening. Sorry, am not much good at chatting on threads, tho they look lots of fun! Am better at the face to face thingy... BUt to break with habit, are you still in Amersham? And how can you be sure you are still No.1?
Mx

michal@juggler.net

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"are you still in Amersham"
I feel honoured! You either looked at the first page o' my intro, or even better, you remembered! biggrin
Im in Chesham (which is just round the corner from Amersham) but im uniing in Canterbury and working in London confused

hug

and you lot! Go to the classes- people say "Yes, they are great".

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: Michal

And how can you be sure you are still No.1?

Jonny UCoF is now and will always be number 1! ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

people say "Yes, they are great".

I'd be one of those people, I went to both the beginners and intermediate classes a while ago and they are indeed great smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
Ta Bovril! Whatever are you up to these days? Havent seen you since before your great Kiwi adventure and that was far too long ago! Are you still into ballooning? cos im a bit of a balloonatic these days...

Jonny, crikey, how on earth do you live in chesham and work in london and study in canterbury? are you really a cluster of identities parading as a single human for tax purposes?

Chocaholic - me want proof that jonny is number 1 (or i will suspect bribery, or love...)

and for those of you interested in the courses, there are two places left on Mondays and Wednesdays and THATS IT!!! If you dont manage to get a place on the July courses, the courses will run again in September, so watch this space or get in touch for more details.

michal@juggler.net

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubbangel

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
hee hee. not convinced of your innocence. im sure your angel was dribbling slightly...

And now to the courses: Beginners courses are now fully booked, but there are still a few precious places left on the Intermediate course!!!

michal@juggler.net

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
could it be? UCoF = undercover borg?

would explain a few things.... ubbloco

would've had one of those inter courses but ridiculously skint and stuck all the way up here in manc.

Written by: UCoF

Damn fine book you got there Ms. Michal

seconded