The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Sorry, there's so much dodginess going on in my office at the moment that I cannot discuss with anyone I work with, and I need a rant...

One of the guys I work with in the fundraising team has been suspended for misconduct (I work at a Hospice charity). I wasn't in the office yesterday when all this happened, but another colleague called me to tell me what was going on.

He's been suspended because he accessed the e-mail account of another guy I work with, who we believe is very dodgy (criminal records for fraud, not supposed to be allowed to work in finances/money, suspected of sleeping with the chief exec. and subsequently being promoted e.t.c.). He found some e-mails between this dodgy guy and the chief exxec. and apparently foerwarded them to everyone in the office.

The e-mail system got shut down by admin. pretty much straight away and they wiped everyone's inbox, so I've no idea what the e-mails contained. But I know the guy who's been suspended would not have risked his job if he hadn't seen something that really p*ssed him off and that he thought should be exposed.

I've almost been put off of working for charities completely. They seem to attract a lot of dodgy people who know they can rip money off of an industry that isn't well regulated. Everyone in higher management at the place I work is underqualified, I have more fundraising experience than the lot of them but they still put me down all the time because i'm young. They all seem to have blagged high paid jobs because they're friends with the chairman and his wife, not because they are the best people for the job. They do very little work from what I can see, they're always loading it off onto all the low paid staff and volunteers.

My supervisor got fired, he wasn't happy with the way the place is being run and he's suing for constructive dismissal. We were told he wouldn't be replaced because his salary was too high to afford at £40k (We're a very poor charity). I've been told recently that the equivalent amount of cash will be awarded tax free at the end of the year as a bonus to the dodgy guy mentioned above, who's trying to worm his way into the Head of Fundraising position.

Sorry this is me just rambling on, but I can't wait til I stop working here. It really gets to me seeing people earning so much money for doing nothing, when most of the money they're getting should be used to help cancer patients. I mean, I can understand someone being paid £40k a year if they're working hard at raising about £700k a year, but that's not what's happening here. Management don't care about the charity they work for at all, it's all about the pay packets and being friends with the right people to ensure promotion.

angry end of rant. angry

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
hug hug2

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
hug that sucks - i hate it when people abuse their position and such. theres nothing worse than a company run in that way - where all the jobs are favors not jobs.

hope it sorts itself out

come work for one of the charities i work for
st john ambulance smile (ok it can be a bit pompus at times but tis fun)

or even better disability challengers smile tis a really good cause providing play spaces for disabled kids biggrin

back

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
That's absolutely shocking.

You could always go anonymously to a local newspaper... if you really wanted something done smile

Getting to the other side smile

*Jenni*member
29 posts

Posted:
dude.. that sucks. im sorry for you... and here i was thinking my job sucked... poor you. hope it all works itself out! xx J xx

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
It's not all bad, I try and ignore most of the politics and I'm only here for another month. There is a lady who resigned recently who was talking about going to the papers. I'd rather keep my head down for now, I need references from this place for my Uni course in september so it's best I don't p*ss anyone off. I just needed to get some things off my chest.

Thanks for the support guys, you all make life at work much more bearable and pleasant. hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan