JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Okay, are these not the coolest bicycles ever?

Non-Https Image Link

I've been trying to find new ones for sale, but I'm not having much luck. The only ones I'm finding look way too modern, I'd like to find one with that nice rustic look, with the small wheel close to the big one. This might be asking a bit much, but if anybody has stumbled accross such a thing, input would be muchly apreciated!

ubbrollsmile.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
your mad

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
oo, indeed i have been looking too, but since i have no money, i stopped looking

biggrin

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: DoktorSkell

your mad

rolleyes Duh! This is sparkey we're talking about wink

Come to England sparkey, I'm sure there's loads of these kicking around here somewhere wink

but there is this and this
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1119542024)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
wow, I've got a book about unicycling and its got a bit in about them, I quite fancy one. But you do realise that people have actually died riding them! ubbloco

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
What really?

And that's what I did too Pete.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
yes really! If you brake when going at any sort of speed or especially going downhill, the little wheel lifts up and you tip over and fall off, which if done at speed, at an akward angle, it can be fatal. Thats why they invented the 'saftey bicycle' that we rida today. It was when they were trying to find a soloution to the danger problem that the unicycle was invented, only then it had a handle when the seat is as that is what you get if you cut the back off a penny farthing.

'this piece of information was brought to you by pricklyleaf productions in asociation with nothing better to do'

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
See..... didn't I tell you. Pricklyleaf is far from prickly.....she's very helpful and lovely! hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

wow, I've got a book about unicycling and its got a bit in about them, I quite fancy one. But you do realise that people have actually died riding them! ubbloco

It's true that people died falling from penny farthings.The problem is that, if you brake too sharp and go forwards over the wheel, your legs are trapped by the handlebars, and you basically go into a 'face-plant' from 6 foot in the air!

Scrapping the back wheel, and especially the handlebars, leaves you with the lovely unicycle, which are much more comfortable if you fall forwards, generally you land on your feet and walk out of it.

Pics of the 'giant one-wheeled' pioneers from over 100 years ago-

https://www.unicyclist.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=191208

https://www.unicyclist.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=191210

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I thought they invented the unicycle when pennyfarthingists (what a word!) discovered wheelies on the front by slowing down enough for the back wheel to lift up but not enough for them to go all the way over. From there, so a website I read tells, they started practicing and managed to get a good bit of distance on one wheel and decided to lop off the surplus.

Chucks nuns

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i'm sure you could make a new one look old by falling off it a few times and then leaving it in the rain.... it'd grow some nice rust.

weird i never associated penny farthings with unicycles... but it makes perfect sense when you think about it...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Seb.

My understanding is that unicycles were invented when skilled penny farthing riders deliberately did 'wheelies' on their machines.

That was, riding with just the front wheeltouching the ground.

A little later, people took off the back wheel completely, and then, due to the same type safety issues, started making the single wheeled versions smaller.

Both remained the 'adrenaline junky' toy for a while until the safety bike took off with the advent on pnuematic tyres...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

643 posts

Posted:
Can't you have pnumantc tires on a Penny Farthing then?

Chucks nuns