Forums > Social Chat > Do you believe in Happiness?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Do you believe in happiness?

Lately I've been very happy. It's hard to put a finger on why, it's generally everything. I'm very happy within myself and my random lot in this world. There's negative aspects hanging about but I'm seeing those as lessons to learn from and not letting them drag me down to their level. I've achieved a lot of the balance that I was looking for, and that's lead to a calm mind. I'm with the Dalai Lama in that I believe that a calm mind is more open to the happiness, joy and love in the every day world.

I read a chapter of a book written by a psychologist last night that pointed out that the aim of most Western psychologists, their training, theories and anti-depressant drugs, was aimed towards relieving depression or anxiety, resolving internal conflicts or relationship problems. However there was little talk or training of therapy leading to happiness. The goal was to make the patient less sad, not to make them happy.

Rarely in our upbringing or life are we given 'lessons' in what happiness is and how to achieve it. Even those charged with our mental stability don't seem that preoccupied with it's achievement. As consumers we're driven to believe that material wealth leads to happiness, when it so often leads to disappointment and unhappiness. It seems that our societies do not really believe that our predominant emotion can be happiness, rather that we should settle for islands of happiness in a sea of resigned contentment within mediocrity.

I believe in happiness, the true, deep down, high on life happiness. I believe that for the majority of our lives we can be happy. I believe to experience this we need to make a conscious shift and effort to actively experience happiness, to really see the wonders of life.

So, what do you think? Do you believe in happiness?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
well, Dom, i believe in many many flavors, "layers" and dimensions of happiness, simultaneously available, though not all may be in play nor achieved nor sensed at once.

anyone surprised?

( * grin * )

with much love,

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Happiness is:

Being true to yourself, and honest to others
Finding a centre
Finding a purpose, or a goal and sticking to it
Looking to improve yourself, without regrets!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
all true, Flyntie! yet i guess i don't use the conventional language or limits so much anymore . . . without being aimless, rootless, formless "relativist" at all. i'm more pluralist with a lotta strong form, revel in da forms, no longer single idea of center, but wonderful irregular amoeba, which we all are right this moment, if we actually saw da map of who we are. . .and the simplifying, even reassuring concept of a single center? in one sense, there is a center, statistically, geometrically, so to speak, of where we are this moment, but it moves. . . more than something simple like a regular orbit too. . . it grows if we're lucky, it spins if we're stuck, it can recede or decay too, and actually we got a moving network of points in us. . . it's as beautiful as a galaxy as a flower which -- whose imagination would design even one? -- from nothing!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Hey Mike, check yr messages, please.

I find that, although there are moments when i am not happy due to the situation of that moment, i am a basically happy person. There is SO muxh beauty in the world, it really feeds my spirit and keeps me all nice and stuff. Also having so many wonderful people who love me so much is huge contributor to my ongoing happy state. ('COurse finding someone to be friends and screw around with would certainly contribute to my happiness too... )
I agree that noone can make another person happy. All they can do is not make obstacles for the other person and someimtes help them find what tools help that person to find their own happiness...

[ 29 October 2002, 19:32: Message edited by: Jade Lynx ]

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
got it, Jade one, check your PMs!

make some one else happy? well, that's not so straightforward. like, what if they fall in love with you?

see?

and on the mild side, you can usually cheer someone up

and in the perplexing middleground, you can help someone intensify their dissatisfaction enough that they use the energy and realization to get something else they really want, and so reach greater happiness later.

and more!

also, things are an active part of making you happy when, for example, you're an artist - commonly considered more "imaginative," "creative," or "spiritual" (but not necessarily considered so) than most, then your happiness absolutely requires things in order to happen. . . no media, naked in a coma in a blank room so even your movement is not available for art, you wither. might you find some other paths to happiness than art, then, making something else (most would say "the best") of your situation? yuh, but then you're no longer artist, if you succeed, you are now some new identity, the artist & the artist's opportunity for happiness are dead, and can only happen if reborn.

so things as well as people can make the deepest of happiness, not only momentary gluttony kinds of happiness.

and if you aspire to a greatest happiness through divine connection, grace of state, or enlightenment, divine or not, you may find you are not the sole being necessary to accomplish that. funny, few ever ask what perfect enlightenment would be if you were the only being in all universes, and nothing and no one else existed.

so let us be grateful and kick in the ass every kind of happiness we got and can have, peeps!

HAPPY HAPPY FIRE TO US ALL

with all my love,

~ Mikie

[ 30 October 2002, 06:39: Message edited by: FíreMîke ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I hate to say this, but lately...

The closest to happy I am, if forgetting that Im unhappy.

I smell something burning.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
What a lovely thread!

I've wondered about this a lot in my life. Ups and downs are so necessary, like various people have said, cos to appreciate the ups you need to have some downs.

I've had a few downs lately, but I can honestly say I've been happier in the last two years than I have in my whole life up to now, and my friends are happy, which makes me even happier, and I helped put on an immense party on Saturday night (hope you enjoyed it Dom!!) where lots of happy people came together to have a wicked time

Although there are dark clouds from time to time, I'm wonderfully happy at the moment and the best bit is I appreciate how lucky I am to be where I am and with who I am with right now.

And with these happy thoughts in my head I'm now off to see a friend's band play a gig. Hurrah!

Thank you guys and girls

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Ali-bird, wonderful to hear! Keep spreading the happiness that way, and it does come back. . . so see, there's ANOTHER dimension of people giving and transacting happiness . . . not only a solo thing, even at its deepest.

shizNOT,

shiz!

dang you gotta come to my pad out left here, lemme get happy witcha!

with all my love,

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Page: