DenGadGOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
Newbie question...

While learning the basic stuff in Michal Khans book (had my poi for about 2 weeks and am now only struggling with split time reels and the fountain), a new move sort of just happened.
I probably has a simple name, and I hope you can tell me, because it's going to require a bunch of words to describe smile
I realized very early that I need to know how to disentangle on the move is something is wrapping around my arm, and that's when it happened...

I do a forwards three-beat-weave. Lets say the poi is on my right side. When the left hand poi is moving up on the first circle I "open up", meaning I draw back my right hand to a distance of about half the chain length. Then when the left hand poi is moving up on the second circle and the right hand is moving down I let the right hand chain hit the middle of my left arm at about the middle of the chain. The right hand poi speeds up and when the left hand poi has reached vertical the right hand poi has caught up and they move synchronous time to my left side.
When they are both pointing vertically downwards on my left side the left poi is moving faster than the right and they fall into split time again.

What would you call this? (hope the description makes sense)

/Dennis

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's not a nwbie question - that's a lovely move and a great description smile

generally those are called 'pull-through wraps' - a wrap on a body part that is pulled-though to an opposing plane so that it unwraps without stopping or changing direction.

also referred to as 'fake airwraps/half hyperloops' for reasons that may or not become obvious to you later.

you can spin that move so that it stays split-time if you want to - instead of drawing your hand back before the wrap, move it upwards instead so that the wrap happens a quarter of a circle/beat later.

the wrap will last less time but it looks a bit more controlled and doesn't break up your spinning by changing the relative timing of the poi.

i like it lots smile

and by the way - i'm rubbish at same direction split-time reels too shrug smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DenGadGOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
Changing the relative timing of the poi doesn't break up my spinning as I feel it. The movement is back into 3-beat weave as soon as my arms spin on the left side.
I'll try the version you mention, I need to feel the movement to fully understand it.
I hate it when my mind knows what it's supposed to be, but my body can't do the movement yet, they just work at too different speeds sometimes smile
The fountain for me right now is only good for very short uncontrolled backmassages, I hit myself every single time, tangle and come to a complete stop. Then I look in the book, understand completely how it's supposed to be done and proceed to fail utterly again. Endless fun smile

But thanks for the quick reply, now I know I can do a pull-through-wrap as well smile

/Dennis

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
some people (eg. poibox) also call simply these thru-wraps, as they are sort of a class of thru wrap in a way.

you can also do them both over (wrapping on the backhand arm when doing a forward weave) or under (wrapping on the forhand arm).

they are infinitely useful for getting yourself out of situations where you have reached too far into a rotation and need a cheet to get out.

You can also use them in a plethora of ways to transition in and out of weaves into other moves. I played with them almost exclusively for months this past winter,

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
dont they add an extra beat to the 3 beat weave? ive been trying them out and it feels like a 5 beat weave imo.

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
indeed they do clb smile

with a normal 5bt weave, your wrists twist round each other to add an extra circle on either side.

with this move, the poi twisting around your wrist adds the extra circle.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
Cool then ive understood them
thanx Cole

CLB

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

ben_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
as a result, these cheeky thru-wraps can be a good way of introducing people to the 5-beat weave - just slide the crossing point up a bit until your wrists cross instead of your arm and the cord, and hey presto! you now have an uncle named bob.

B
x

please help keep the world clean - others may wish to use it

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
this is known as a 3 beat weave variation me and my buddies call it the split weave

weavesmiley

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: pre

this is known as a 3 beat weave variation me and my buddies call it the split weave

Funny. Everyone else is calling it a thru-wrap...
confused

Meh

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Great bump Cantus smile but yea, let's get rid of this split weave thing, it only serves to complicate things and it feels more like a five beat weave variation anyway.

I found this a fairly easy thread to understand and as a result managed to nail this pattern in a matter of minutes, although my split time needs a little cleaning up. But hey! it was a nice break from torturing myself trying to work out the most frustrating move I've come across,,,,,carryovers. ( Mot's, Spinning in Paris )

I like the smaller circles inside larger circles effect this pattern makes and I'll probably end up using it as a transition into the five beat, maybe from the windmill.

Coleman, one thing I found to improve my same direction split time reels was to simply just lift them up into the windmill when they start to go strange, regain control, then drop the poi back down. Gives a nice high/low circles pattern too.