Forums > Social Chat > The silly things that we are told as chidren!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I was out in the garden, working on our new chicken run and i over heard our neighbour telling her kids that its a cage for naughty children and if they misbehave they will get locked in there! I went along with it and the kids swallowed it whole!

It made me think about what nonsense we were told (and then believe) as kids by adults.

My parents made me believe that they were over 100 years old (i was only 3) which led to much embarassment for me at preschool when i mentioned it!

So, what silly things were you told when you were a kid?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
*bump courtesy of the OTR group*

if you pick your nose your brains will fall out

one for the boys
if you play with it it'll drop off or you'll go blind

mums can see through walls you know....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

the eating crusts and curly hair one's rubbish... inever eat crusts, not cuz i don't like my curly hair, i've always loved my curly hair, but i hate crusts... still don't eat them... but if i hear a mother i know tell her daughter that i always tell the daughter i don't eat my crusts...

and yeah... my dad once told me when i swallowed a cherry pip that a cherry tree was going to grow out of my ears... worried me for about a week but after that i figured if a cherry tree was going to grow out of my ears it would have done it by then (cuz you know, it only takes a couple of days for a tree to grow out of your ears)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
My dad once told me he taught Robin Hood how to shoot a bow and arrow, and being young and impressionable as I was way back then in my childhood - I promptly went to school and told everyone, suffice to say my dad was rather embaressed at the next parents evening. biggrin

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
Me and TinklePants convinced our little brother that Cryton (RED DWARF) was coming to visit his biggest fans and would be arriving a month later. Poor little sod marked it on the calender!

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
/\-harsh! bless him.....at a fire pe3rformance i had a litlle girl come up to me and ask..."is it true you have to soak yourself in ice water for hours before you do this so that it doesn't burn you?...cos thats what my mummy says,and she never lies....."

how the hell do you answer that!?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Tell her her mummy sounds like a very clever lady, but you can't give away trade secrets smile

(Her mum might have told her that as a deterrent)

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
damn it wish i'gd though of that at the time!! ubblol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: LilMissSmartyPants

Me and TinklePants convinced our little brother that Cryton (RED DWARF) was coming to visit his biggest fans and would be arriving a month later. Poor little sod marked it on the calender!

its kryton btw

yeah i remember that, we were right B****es to him lol
remember when we dressed him up when he was 4 in one of our heart puffball dresses and put make up and beads on him and a tinsel wig - and called him "Gemma"- our mum went nuts and said we'd make him turn out gay lol
what's wrong with being gay anyway? (i suppose she wanted grandkids from him)
ubblol parents are bonkers!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tink L. Pants

remember when we dressed him up when he was 4 in one of our heart puffball dresses and put make up and beads on him and a tinsel wig - and called him "Gemma"-

*Sighs reminisantly* Ahh those were the days biggrin

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
My mum made be believe that the spider plant in the hallway lived off of rice crispies...

why? why would you make a kid believe that?! confused

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
My eldest sister made me belive that she was evil and was born with a 666 tattoo beond her hair-line.
I know she ain't got the tattoo but I still belive she's evil

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
oh my god i remember her saying that - remember when she ruined our childhood telling us that the tooth fairy and santa was a myth, all because we ganged up on her!!

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
i belived in santa till mammy said "pick what u want for xmas from the catalouge. You know theres no santa don't you?" I was 7 (the year we got rollerblades)
well actually mammy NO. Not till you shatered my childhood delusions ubblol

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
go you 2.
I never believed anything anyone told me as a child. a bit of a sceptic really. found out there was no santa when i found his clothes in my parents wardrobe.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
I would hove either thought "Wow, i'm santas kid!" or "Wow, My mothers bonking santa"lol

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
nah found the beard and the suit hire receipt. as I said.. for a tear-away i was quite well grounded and sceptical. if I was told something I would always try and see if it was true. which is why I was a tear-away doing stupid stuff coz i was told not to with a ludicrous reason

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I stopped believing in father christmas when, after having left mince pies and brandy out for him one christmas eve, the thankyou letter was in my older sisters handwriting.......

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I set an ingenious series of traps to either capture of disprove the existence of the tooth-fairy.... redface

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I remember my dear mother telling me many times, when I pulled a face, that "if the wind changes, your face will stay like that"

She was right. frown

Willy - is bad for your health...

georgia-kBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
when i was doing physics homework once my dad told me to write "the opposite of energy is lethargy. the main forms of lethargy are watching too much television and not wanting to get out of bed in the morning"
and i did. my physics teacher thought i was being cheeky

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
i was on an plane and i saw these straps on the wings of the plane and my dad said to me that if i was bad i had to hold on to the straps while the plane was flying!!!!

eek

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

My brother and I were told that the icecream truck only played music to let people know that they had run out of icecream.

yep. I believed it rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

gunna use that one!

Like it! My Mum used a similar prank too he he. No harm done. But the worst thing she used to say all the time was 'don't be silly, don't be silly'... all the bl**dy time! closely followed by "you'll break your teeth!" Thanks heavens she never saw me whacking myself senseless and almost gummy learning glowies!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
I was told the doves we used to keep as pets were "just giving each other piggybacks."

... In retrospect, I wonder why I was never curious as to where the eggs came from...?

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
always got the, i am going to turn the car around if you 2 dont stop messing around!
never did though

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
mum actually did that once... she kicked us all out of the car, did a quick blockie and came back

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
I was told there was an invisible fish in the ocean that eat children for pleasure.. And what a coincidence, that same day, I was stung by a stingray on the bottom of my foot...

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
of course there is eat all your food because there are children in *country of your parents choice* starving
i never believed that one
if you don't wash your ears, potatoes will grow out of them
(apple seeds do have cyanide btw)
if you don't behave, we'll send you back to the indians
of course there was the time my mother said if i don't behave she'd leave me in the store, so then i did my best to behave, but i got lost and i thought she left me

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
this one is so sad, but my mum used to go around telling everyone that she was dating peter andre (he USED to be cool, so i can condone her for that) and she said it until i was about years old...........all my friends believed her and always wanted to come over my house to see him! lolsign

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
ubblol i read condone as condom ubblol

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Well, my parents and me are not very alike, so mum always used to tell me they had found me in a basket in a sugar cane field in Mauritius and felt sorry for me so they took me home... when I was really small I always thought it might have been true.

My mum used to tell my sister that if she didn't get out the bath when she was finished she'd end up being sucked down the plug hole. One day mum played a really cruel joke and hid behind the bathroom door then called my sister saying 'Help! Help! I've gone down the plughole!' resulting in my sis staring down at the plughole shouting at my mum, tears in her eyes and all. rolleyes

Mum used to take her roman catholicism a bit more seriously years back, so another one was whenever we hurt ourselves she'd say it was God punishing us for something we'd done wrong. umm

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Page: