pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
aight. I asked this to my science teacher, but he failed to answer it, so ive decided to post it here.

if you were in space, so there was no gravity, but also in a space shuttle, where there is oxygen, and you were to light a match, in which direction would the fire go?

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I read about this somewhere.....

the flame does something weird...

https://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae673.cfm
wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thankyou

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
links to some pictures if you want to have a look

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
cheers

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
there is garvity in space by the way. it is just that when you are in orbit, you are in a continuous free-fall state - you just happen to also be going forward fast enought to never hit the ground! If you were stopped dead at the same height as the space shuttle but somehow had something supporting you, you'd feel almost as much gravity pulling you down as you would at the surface of the earth.

the above answers are fully endoresed by me though wink

note that there is little danger of an onboard fire destroying the space station because of this.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
smile

the risk of fire is however the reason they have never bothered to actually carry out experiments with flames in space - all the tests seen above were carried out in microgravity (on board free-falling aeroplanes).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
why isn't that guy suffocating?!?

-v-

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and why isn't he worried that the space shuttle is only about 200 feet away but is moving fast enough to instantly turn his face into hot jam should they ever meet...

he does have nice boxer shorts though... smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The answer is that the flame will point away from whatever air current predominates (and in practicality there is always air circulating in a spacecraft). In the absence of an air current, it forms a sphere, and then because there isn't gravity-driven air circulation pushing the cool air down around the warm flame, it snuffs out.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Is the ari currents bit only part of the explanation of how flames work under gravity?

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

there is garvity in space by the way. it is just that when you are in orbit, you are in a continuous free-fall state - you just happen to also be going forward fast enought to never hit the ground! If you were stopped dead at the same height as the space shuttle but somehow had something supporting you, you'd feel almost as much gravity pulling you down as you would at the surface of the earth.

The space shuttle orbit may be low enough that if the shuttle wasn't falling, they'd feel a fair amount of gravity, but farther out there'd be basically nothing.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
a LOT further out. And once you are that far out, you are feeling the gravity of something else.

And even if there was nothing else to exhert gravity - the gravitational attraction of the earth will extend out at least 4 or 5 billion light years or so (that being how long the earth has existed and how far its gravitons would have reached by now).

So that is MUCH further out than the space shuttle. If you stopped all realtive motion WRT the earth and you were 1 million miles away, you'd eventually find out that "basically nothing" really hurts when you slammed into the ground at hyper velocities.

there is gravity to be felt everywhere in large amounts. zero-G and free fall are not an absence of gravity, mearly the lack of anything to stand on or to impact on.

-v-