Forums > Help! > Silicon(??) spikey stuff!

Login/Join to Participate

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I am trying to find the stuff that they use to create this kind of effect

Non-Https Image Link

Although, i want to do it on a larger scale...bigger spikes like on the lighters etc that you can buy.

I think it is silicon but that is as much as i know

Does anyone know what this stuff is and where i could possible get it from?? I've tried looking for it on the net but because i have no idea what it actually is called i have had very little luck!

Lots of thanks in advance! ubbrollsmile

EDIT: I just found this site...it has lots of examples of the stuff...

edit2: helps if i include the link

https://www.eeziglow.co.uk/products.asp?CategoryID=30

EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1119295501)

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I think you'll want silicone, not silicon. Silicon is what glass and solar cells are made of. Silicone is what breast implants are made of.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I don't know where you can get that stuff from, but there was a staff on eBay not so long ago made of it. It looked... odd.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Havokist

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
oh man... that is such a good idea. Cool spikey staff thing biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
isnt it more of a latex thing, rather than Si?

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
all the sites with the stuff on say its silicon

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

I think you'll want silicone, not silicon. Silicon is what glass and solar cells are made of. Silicone is what breast implants are made of.

Yes, silicon is the element found in glass etc but when bounded with oxygen it becomes silicone which is used to form rubbers and resins etc.

However within common usage, silicone rubber is usually refered to as silicon. So silicon is the thing you are looking for. You definatelty don't want latex, although sometimes similar qualities can be achieved it is not as versitle as silicon and doesn't last for very long, before and after it is set.

I don't really know where you can buy the raw stuff from, I'd have a look at art suppliers as they are the ones most likley to have it. I'll let you know if I find anything myself.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I get mine from www.cpc.co.uk

(I think it was https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=SA01467&N=0
, but I'm not sure cos their catalogue is being poo...)

Clear silicone sealant, comes in the tubes that go in the funny trigger guns for about £4 a tube.

Lovely stuff. Smells "interesting", though...

Spiky bits I do by dabbing it with my finger as it's drying. Sure you'll get the hang.

Don't know about colours, though. I was wondering about putting glow in the dark powder in it smile

monkeys ate my brain

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
ooh thanks for that mo-seph

I wonder if it can be mixed with any of this
https://www.uvgear.co.uk/product/uvpaints.htm
especially this
https://www.uvgear.co.uk/product/product78.htm

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
When I've used silicon, (slightly different from the sealent you can buy from DIY stores-smells a lot better), you can colour it by adding oil based colours in it, and the second (sorry didn't look at the first) says its compatable with oil based materials so it could work. The sealent smeels like very strong pickle/slightly vinegray by the way (you have been warned!)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Just one question... Will kerosene/parrafin turn this stuff to mush? Various adhesives/rubbery things tend to go to mush when it comes in contact with enough kerosene/parrafin.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Gherkin, I can imagine it would!

I'm not planning on putting it on fire equipment. I'm going to make pretty UV toys! biggrin so that shouldn't be a problem

Thanks for the info Pricklyleaf. I'm going to order some of the UV pigment stuff and have a play. its going to be messy!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I have that staff from ebay... Very funky. however, the silicone is coming off it where it hasn't bonded to the wood very well. I would very much like to fix that problem.

Kero etc SHOULDN'T turn this stuff to mush. In the same way that silicone coated devilstick handsticks should only be used with fire, because the solvent (kero) will corrode the rubber handsticks.

If Kero turned this stuff to mush, it wouldn't mix with oil based paints.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
mm yup silicone.

actually i just made a bracelet and a pair of earrings out of those spikey things the other night!.. should take a pic..