Forums > Social Chat > Too many rednecks, not enough ammo...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Apologies to all for the political nature of this post...

I just wanted to say, after reading several of the other more political posts, how surpised I am at this "community". I thought Fireys and twirlers were "enlightened" types, and I am appalled at the sentiments expressed by many with regard to the current and very disturbing state of affairs on this planet...Rugger buggers become drugger buggers, pick up twirlers and have a nice time walking around at Irie parties, with their tye died shirts...acting like the Dalai Lama himself just gave them permission to be...but under the veneer, a redneck always is and always will be a redneck.

Anyway, have a good day!

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Hey now chicks can be rednecks too. Then again I think there is a difference between what he calls redneck and what I proudly call myself.

Perhaps if we could have Emanator's deffinition of a redneck we could sort this out a bit better.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
ya gotta try beer they make, Ray, Mike, Raph, Fire_Emanator, Rozi, Paddy, dromepixie, if ya drink beer. . .wow, it packs a bang, darkish golden yellow or variable color with batch, & if made really in big ole pots in da field, da whole snake might be brewed in it for some extra kick! [/QB]
Ma daddy is from Farmerville, LA (Louisianna for tho thinking other wise) and a know ma beer!

My dad once told me that if a cop stops your where hes from you first say 'hey officer will ya hole ma beer'

Much love, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Somehow Ray, I don't think you'll be getting that definition anytime soon!!

whats up with all the limitations?

2,905 posts

Posted:
Why do you say that?

Actually Drom it's

Sobly osifucker hold by beer whild Is get muh lisenph!

Or is that just New Mexico?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by FireMike:
have peeps always said "redneck" in Oz? in the states, it started in the "deep south" (really now our southeast as the Union grew into the west), a name for farmers standing in fields, so the sun burned the back of their necks red. wuzzit always a world-wide turn o phrase?
Cassandra this is the origin of the word although throughout the history of the US it has come to be used in different ways. It is often used as a derrogtary term to insinuate that whoever is as ignorant as a 'redneck'. I have usually heard it negative if someone is reffering to ignorance.

I personally am quite close to 'Rednecks' as my dad is from the south and I have always been around that area of thought.

I would like to say that although the term is used as derrogatory in many places around the world it essentialy is not. I have to agree with Ray here. My dad would also be proud to be called a redneck, hell they're great people!
I tend to use the term to describe where they are from not to indicate that all redneck this or that because they dont.

Like many have said just because one belongs to a group does not mean that you subscribe to the policy or belief system of others.

I really dont agree with the thread thats why I asked a question before posting. I understand that you are expressing your beliefs but why are you so upset and seemingly angry about something?

Is something bothering you? You wanna talk about it?

I am unsure at the motives behind the first post but I dont think that making other people upset by posting in such a confusing, half-said way is going to achieve anything positive.
If you want something changed, done or talked about please be clear. By being threatening and rude you just help more frustration and stress creep into these boards.

Much love, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

2,905 posts

Posted:
I am sure he means Redneck as a derrogitory term, much like the N word is.

To me a "Redneck" is a good ole boy. Basically just someone who just wants to live his/her life. Never meanin no harm, ahh the Dukes of Hazzerd man I love that show hehe.

Actually it stems from poor farmers who were always out in the sun bent over working the fields. Their necks would get sun burnt. They were seen as second class or even their class citizens. Now most the farmers I know are pretty darn rich, so now it is just a word.

David Ike's Decafmember
17 posts

Posted:
For a good definition of the word "redneck" why notr watch Deliverence.
I can almost hear those banjos now, and the pigs squealing...

Hi I'm David Ike,You may remember me from such films as Whoops, is that my Lizard? and the weather on ITV.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
No no no Dave. You gotta watch Beverly Hillbillies to see what a redneck is.

Ray: Bud and Coors are both Canadian beers. The funny thing is tho that coors is produced in the states even tho it is a canadian beer. quite funny. so it would really be a canmerica beer. As far as rednecks go, there are the ones that are complete assholes. and then there are the nice ones like Ray, and most of the ones i am related to. But really a redneck is someone who is racist, drives a ford or a bronco, drinks beer, and listens to country.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Just to insert my $.02 here.... I think "Redneck" can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on a lot of factors. Some people (such as Ray) identify with the term and think of it as Southern Hospitality personified, which is a valid view.

However, the actions of a few can really change the stereotype for a group. Here in Stillwater OK (where I go to uni) we recently had a few incredibly offensive and tasteless racial crimes occurred, committed by none other than fraternity boys from the agricultural house that are poster-child Rednecks. A costume party resulted in several boys dressing each other up like Klan members, skinheads/neo-nazis, and one painted himself black and wore a prison uniform and they took several pictures of him with a noose around his neck, being whipped by the Klanner, etc. These pictures got posted on the internet and a huge scandal has erupted around here.

The "Rednecks" that I've unfortunately been exposed to are the types who run around waving their Confederate flags wildly and have no respect or tolerance for people of African descent, and even to a lesser extent they resent "Yankees" like myself from up north.

I know this isn't what every Redneck is like, Raymond being a shining example of the fact that people from the South, or who talk with a "twang" aren't all like what I've just described. As it is the case with any stereotype, when you see individuals that fit the stereotype they only make that belief stronger, and those who don't conform to it get a bad rap as a result.

Anyone interested in learning more about this abhorrent act can visit www.tolerance.org and see for yourselves the image that these "Rednecks" have decided they want to represent their whole culture.

I guess the point should be that if you're going to dislike an individual, do so because you bother to get to know them and the reasons you dislike them as a person, not for whatever group they may happen to fall into... judging people by who they associate with is SOOOOOO high school.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Most of my experience with the word "redneck" is as an offensive term for ignorant white people, usually from the south (meaning, of course, the southeast of the US.)

It's certainly not a term that I would use to describe those who are intolerant as it is a pretty intolerant term itself. But that's just me.

Of course, I do know and accept that other people use it differently.

It's the same sort of arguement (on a MUCH smaller level) with the English term "Nigger"... Extremely offensive word on it's own that some chose to identify with.

But opening the "n" word arguement is a whole other can of worms...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
NYC, I've found that "rednecks" or "hicks" as they sometimes call themselves are different from the "white trash" stereotype that I think you're talking about.

At least, that's my experience.

Say what you will, but if I'm broken down by the side of the highway, the two most likely people to offer help are 1) Hell's Angels and 2) Rednecks...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I agree that redneck is a more tame word than white trash. I've just always heard it used in a negative way. For example "Too many rednecks, not enough ammo..."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Also, having never broken down outside of New York City, my experiences are slightly different.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
suprisingly enough, if ou don't offend the angels, they are really really nice people. If any of you looked at those pictures, the guy in the cover alls looks alot like my cousin Dean. Dean is a racist son of a bitch who likes to screw over his family and hit on his cousins. White trash "redneck"? YES!!! True "Redneck"? NO!!!

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

2,905 posts

Posted:
Comming from a guy who has lived on both sides of the track, you learn a thing or 20 about racisim. No matter how much someone can deny it they are allways racist, somtimes against their own race.

I come from a small dary/ranch/farming town, hell agricultural for the short version. We have more of the hispanic decent that an other "minority".
Most white people are hick/redneck. Most dont really give a rats arse about your skin colour, some prefer the senoritas but some are racist as hell. I know some jocks that dont care and then some that do, the same goes with the skaters and punks. In fact I have seen more intolerance from what few goths we have in the town. There is only one social group that I have seen that accept you no matter what. It was the nerds and geeks. The wierd ones.

Sad really that only when your at the bottom of the food chain is it that you understand that everyone truly is equal.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Also, having never broken down outside of New York City, my experiences are slightly different.
I've found that New Yorkers are helpful when you're in trouble. They have a reputation for being rude, but when you're stuck, a New Yorker will come to your rescue.

Angelinos (Los Angeles), on the other hand, are very friendly, but EVIL.

Yes, and these stereotypes and generalizations hold true for EVERY SINGLE NEW YORKER AND ANGELINO.

-Mike

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
A redneck is when your ex-boyfriend's friend tells you that you're only wasting your time going to college, because you're just going to get married and have babies anyway. Or is that the act of being a redneck?

Ray, actually Budweiser is not from Canada, it's from Germany- only it tastes better there and is stronger.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

2,905 posts

Posted:
Thanks Nyx that sure makes me feel better. Hell no that aint a Redneck thats a prick!!

I meant North American beer, ya thats it

so what the hell is American beer?

[ 03 October 2002, 16:46: Message edited by: Raymund Phule ]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
now that this had turned into, for the last long spell & most of the thread, a "redneck discussion," i'll letcha all into a secret i rarely tell in SoCal. even tho i have given no pro/ con comments regarding rednecks (i usually don't do that about any subculture), it gives me standing at least for discussing them.

yours truly fireboy is a US Presidential Scholar for the State of . . .

GEORGIA

put dat in ya beermug & swaller it!

~ redmud FireMike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Budweiser is actually from the Czech Republic...

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

Huiamember
61 posts

Posted:
What is it with 'definitions' any way. Who cares? Not me for sure- and the less people who 'catagorise other people' the better we will all be.cool..word.

Loving your life...loving your planet...loving yourself.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Mike, you may be right. I've found many people REALLY surprised when I help them on the street. I happen to live in a strange little area of my neigborhood where the streets don't quite make as much sense as they could. I am absolutely sure to ask ANYONE that I see looking at a map if they need any help. (To the annoyance of my friends sometimes.) Sometimes, if I'm not in a hurry, I'll walk total strangers to local destinations if it's on the way.

People thank me LIKE I GAVE THEM A KIDNEY! You don't know how many times I've heard "I can't believe that you New Yorkers are SOOooo nice!"

Perhaps it's just relief that I didn't rob them.

I look at it as just repaying the Europeans who've always helped me when I've been lost in foreign lands... "A local's worth a thousand guidebooks" I always say.

(Actually, I do always say it because that's usually the conversation I have to prevent awkward silence as I walk complete strangers who don't speak much english to the nearest train station )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'm sure that I am biased, but I have always found that as a generality, New Yorkers are some of the most helpful friendly people around.

Raph

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
I happen to live in a strange little area of my neigborhood where the streets don't quite make as much sense as they could.
Is it called "New York City?"

-Mike

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If any one doubts my theories on Fire_emanator then they should reread his posts in this thread.

Meh

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
quote:
Sad really that only when your at the bottom of the food chain is it that you understand that everyone truly is equal
Ray, that has to be one of the most Profoundly Intelligent things you've written.

*hugz* `

Currently on the right side up of the world.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Damn I had to read back through this whole post to find where and if I actually said that. Hmm

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
sixth post down on this page
and yes
it was YOU that said it
`

Currently on the right side up of the world.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Hmm I dun do drugs, and I aint been that drunk latley. Damn I must have been serius!! Or delusional

J/K ya its true I have been on the bottom more than once in my long years of existance.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Thistle says:
quote:
Our diversity from each other is what makes us all so beautifully interesting.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it is not very nice to try to push your beliefs on others in this way. Also by showing your intollerence of other peoples political ideals you seem to be just like one of those 'Rednecks' that you detest so much.
What else can I say but: BRAVO!

I can't add more about this topic that hasn't already been said, but the thread reminds me of an old bowling joke...Something about a large, black ball knocking down all the white pins with the red necks...

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Page: