Forums > Help! > Embarassingly stupid ball chain question..

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
So I want to make my chains a little shorter. If I just cut one of the thin bits between the balls and use that as the top of the ball chain, that's OK, right? I just don't want to break my first set.

Sorry. redface Believe me, I searched long and hard before asking such a dense question. There's probably a good reason it doesn't seem to have been asked before.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Yup, that's perfectly fine. If you were to purchase your ball chain in an actual shop (i.e. not via online) that is exactly what they would do to give you some from the massive roll of the stuff they have. This is of course assuming you have some sort of connector that then links to the ball chain.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah I do smile Thanks a lot, I just thought I'd better ask as there's no way I'll manage to get more before Glasto next wednesday wink

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I shortened a set from hop this way a few years back. Then I changed the chain completely cause ballchain sucks tongue

You just gotta be careful you close the clasp completely around the end balls, it's gotta be the more likely point to fail

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
That's cool. I got it pretty tightly closed, which was surprising considering how hard it was to open it up.

They're swinging much nicer now, thanks guys. biggrin

Thoreau

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

Then I changed the chain completely cause ballchain sucks tongue

Except it doesn't. Ball chain rules. tongue

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ballchain only sucks if you are vegan.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ballchain does suck....if you don't look after it or secure it properly or buy the wack non-stainless steel variety wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i agree, ballchain does suck goats and it breaks easily and doesnt whip catch well!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I love ball chain and have never had a problem with any of my ball chain from HOP

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
stainless steel 15 gauge ballchain is God incarnate.

I won't spin fire with anything else. ever.

-v-

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
I personally use SS oval link.

But one thing i love about spinning with ball chain is. You can feel all the weight on the end of the chain (the fire head)

With SS oval link. You can feel the weight all the way up the chain

Cable poi blow goats

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
i never saw that page before which Malcolm made a link to above. Now i understand completely why my NPS #15 ball chain eventually broke ( after about a year of hardcore use ). i don't remember reading any warnings that it was not appropriate for fire, but maybe those were added after i bought it. i am also a vegan ( almost ), so that may have been another part of the problem. i am very happy with the oval twist chain, it suits my needs and my large cathedral wicks very nicely.
i do miss the maneuverability of ball chain though, it was especially nice for buzzsaws ( though i have adapted to my new chains ).

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ALL chain must be inspected and occasionally replaced. even SS welded oval link can fail from heat fatigue eventually unless it is quite large size.

granted it lasts longer than ballchain, but really, it takes all of about $4-5 for a couple hundered burns to maintain your ballchain. it isn't like that should be a huge burden on anyone. If it is, the rest of your fire equipment is probably substandard too.

A year of hardcore use will fatigue your equipment in its entirety. Inspection and maintianance are not optional for fire performers!!!

-v-

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
No, my fire equipment is not substandard.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
But i admit that i am substandard.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I beg your pardon, but what does being a vegan have to do with ballchain?

So far as I've heard, most metals have little to do with cruelty to animals.

Or am I just being dense and not getting the joke?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Didn't you know? They extract the metal for chains from the bodies of goats. All those cans they eat's gotta go somewhere.

It takes 4 goats to make one #13 ball.

Thoreau

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

ballchain only sucks if you are vegan.

i never quite thought about it, but it doesn't make any sense. Does it?

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
twisted oval link is likwid's preferred chain of spinning.. lol