Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, pesky winter is gone and so is my excuse for not picking up poi in months. So now it's time to dust off my box of poi moves and go out and get some more. I figure if I publicly write down my goals for the next two months, I might have a better chance of actually getting them met.

My poi goals for the summer are:

Become a Freehanding Newbie

Gumbys/Catchcombos with Fire

Learn Flowers and How to Turn Them

Learn Split Time Glowstick Wraps

Freehanding with Fire

BTB fountain or a Waistwrap

I'll be happy to get 4/6 of them.

And I say this all the time and fail, but I want to get some logic and presentation to my spins. They need a beginning, middle and and end. Maybe uberpoi will save me. frown

... And don't get killed by a fire plate or hoop. But that's not poi and more of a life goal. wink

What are your poi goals for this summer?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
Stop dropping my contact ball.

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Written by: squarexedge

ha i think we call it 'helicopters'
awesome for small children and us.

umm i could be wrong but i think he means a straight arm windmill. as you've quite rightly pointed out kids can do helicopters without trying.... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i want to get started on atomics - i just need to see some one do them smile (okay.. so i havnt got the imagination to see whats possible....)

i want to finallly sort out my butterfly hyperloops. (ie, turning all ways and continuos ones the other way)

to get closer to the bottom of inversions and whatnot.

sort out my flowers a bit more.

- we will see what happens. smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Armoured_RavenGOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
Written by: blueboy

long-arm circle spinning thing (don't know the name of this move--arms are 180 apart, you're spinning your body & not the poi)

Hmm, would this not be a pirouette?

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Extended pirouette indeed.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
10 catches of 5 clubs, 534 with clubs, 3 club backcrosses.

ah, poi... right redface

erm...

offset 2bt weaves - everywhere

backwards things

keeping my feet on the floor ( wink )

atomics may spark an interest at uberpoi but we shall have to wait and see

and if double-ended nets work out, i might start looking at throws...

all goals are subject to change without notice wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
master arm wraps or else... thats my goal

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Written by: Armoured_Raven

2) Get ANY new freaking btb move (weave, ww, bfww, anything will do really), these elude me like a leprechaun I tell ya... I'm starting to think they're a myth pulled off in the editing process. They don't really exist, do they? Come on, you can tell me.. I won't tell another soul, honest! ubbangel ubbloco

and me! and me!

Gayle.....!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Written by: squarexedge

ha i think we call it 'helicopters'

awesome for small children and us.

Written by: duballstar

umm i could be wrong but i think he means a straight arm windmill. as you've quite rightly pointed out kids can do helicopters without trying.... wink

Written by: Armoured_Raven

Hmm, would this not be a pirouette?

Written by: ICoN

Extended pirouette indeed.

Hmmm...all these are kinda right and kinda not. I think the straight-arm windmill is the closest. You are pirouetting, technically, but your arms are not on a horizontal plane. The big circle you're making is at a 45 degree angle, so that when one poi is down in front of your toes, the other one is up above and behind your head, and you spin, and the two poi switch positions so that the one that was up is down and vice versa. Kind of a cross between a straight-arm windmill and pirouette. I think it was Bovril Monkey that used to have an animated icon of a little fella doing this.

Helicopters makes sense as a way to describe pirouetting, as your arms would be the blades spinning around, but I thought the "helicopter" was a ceiling plane butterfly?

Anyway, the move I'm on about looks easy and not complicated at all, but keeping the plane steady is a bit of a challenge. Plus I get really dizzy practicing it. ubbloco

I hope this doesn't constitute hijacking the thread -- it's what I'm working on this summer though!!! ubbangel

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
wouldnt that be longarm windmill... straight arm refers to the arms straight out..

longarm the arms can move... straight arm doesnt...

I know thsoe sound like they both apply given that the body is turning.. but the simple way to resovle this, I guess, would be to ask f you could do it without moving the body, jsut moving the arms.. in whihc case its longarm.. wink
EDITED_BY: Rev (1119310324)

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
oh...i thought straight arm and longarm were the same...

~ ani di franco

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
oh no...you have to move the body to do this. in fact, you're not really moving your arms at all, it's more like your arms stay in the same positions, but they move because your body is turning. so is that straight arm? that makes sense actually, as they're staying straight. just not parallel to the ground.
EDITED_BY: blueboy (1119310651)

~ ani di franco

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i think longarm windmill and strightarm windmill are the same rev, and yes that was what bov's avatar was doing. it's a really nice move and can be used to pirouette if you like which is lot of fun... a straight arm weave on the otherhand is a different kettle of fish alltogether... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: blueboy

I hope this doesn't constitute hijacking the thread -- it's what I'm working on this summer though!!! ubbangel

Oh I have no problem with having my thread hijacked. As long as it stays geeky. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Avatar is back up and spinning smile

He's doing what I always called longarm carry turns, in split time, just big circles with both arms and a few turns chucked in for good measure.
Have a look at PK's videos for some more of that kind of stuff smile

As for my 2005 poi goals, I want to work out what an antispin thread the needle actually is, it's doing my head in at the moment.
I've got alot more non-poi goals - being able to juggle burke's barrage is the main one at the moment, but there's now diabolo stuff in my List o' Things To Learn™

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
i think there is a good example of this in the 'dervishly_yers' vid. there was link to it in some thread, i think it was the on flowers thread. at soem point he starts doin exactly wot that avatar is doin.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've just been reacquainting myself with some videos I've not watched for a while - these ones have them in:

A bunny for the perverted - 2:09 and 4:04
Ghost part 1 - 0:27
Devishly Yers - 1:40

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
bovrils avatar is doing longarm... straight arm is straight out and doesnt move..

in the case of a straight arm windmill, the arm would be (fro example) straight out in front of you while the other arm moves around it, and then straight out behind with the other arm going around...

when you do something with your arms that makes the arm part of the poi string.. ie bovrils avatar and the current discussion, that is longarm..

wink

Gav486SILVER Member
You have 23 seconds to comply!
122 posts

Posted:
Hmm... TheBovrilMonkey appears to be doing pirouettes. That's what I, and everyone else I know calls 'em (terminology from "Poi Spinning" by Michal Khan, I guess).

Anyhoo... (On Topic! Yaaay!), the moves I want this summer are:

Those one-arm-long-one-arm-short things that I don't have a name for (see Fluffy Napalm Fairy in "strange things happen" 3:27). Pretty much got 'em, but I still sometimes get confused partway through the sequence. I also want the BTB and WW versions too biggrin.

Flowers. All varieties. I suck at them. I blame it on spinning in confined spaces too much, that I get confused when I extend my arms frown. More outdoorsey spinning!

Oh; and just to drag this back off topic again biggrin; does anyone have a name for those one-arm-long-one-arm-short things that I'm playing with? I just feel the need for something snappier than "those one-arm-long-one-arm-short things" wink.

You cannot trust this boy! His mind has been corrupted by colours, sounds and shapes.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
::OT::

A pirouette doesnt have anything to do with how your arms are moving... A pirouette, by definition, is simply a full 360deg turn on the toe or ball of your foot. Therefore, the move is an extended pirouette in my book. (Vertical one if you wanna be speciffic).

And since when did "extended" get changed into "longarm"? Damn |S|

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Hi Blueboy, the kind of turn your body is making is more like what many dancers call a barrel roll than a piroette,

** yes, he is referring to the sort of spin Nick does in Dervishly Yours!

clap Go Blueboy! I will wait on trying that one again til I have a soft patch of grass to land in, and Nick here to show me ( this weekend!)

Me, I want to smooth out my isolations, learn how to use them in more ways, and slow everything right down... like really, really slow. Suspended animation... I find adding more weight to my poi is helping me with these two goals.

I would also like to breathe more. I know this applies to Poi, or at least it should. Dance always flows better when you work with the breath,so I am curious to try poi with a some Martha Graham technique thrown in, expansion and contaction. I will be happy if I just get the breathing bit though!

hug

wherever you go, there you are

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I really want to choreograph a routine but everytime I try it just seems so pointless. Freestyle is just so much more fun.

As for moves I want to clean up all the flowers I know and then work on disecting them. I just thyink it would be awesome to be able to spin in nothing but flower variations. But as of now my planes get all screwy when I switch from regualr to anti-spin, or weave to butterfly, etc etc.

Peace, Love, Circles

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: 486

Oh; and just to drag this back off topic again biggrin; does anyone have a name for those one-arm-long-one-arm-short things that I'm playing with? I just feel the need for something snappier than "those one-arm-long-one-arm-short things" wink.

that's straightarm ubbangel

usually used in wallplane and is great for all that slidey-hands-up-the-arms stuff.

been trying antispin (or 'half-antispin') type transitions in and out of this but it usually just results in tangly messes.

but its worth it for when it works biggrin

and here's a link to an old pirouette discussion

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'm not saying he isnt pirouetting.. I'm just saying its longarm... because it can be done without turning the body.. just moving the arms.. ie. its giant.. ie.. its fully extended...

straight arm isnt the same kind of extension... straight arm is great (like cle said wink) for sliding hands along an arm because the straight arm just sits straight out.. the arm arm weaves around it..

edit: and its not because of sperc.. ask nix.. and several others. longarm/giant has been used a LONG time.. as long as I've been spinning.. extensions, as I understand it, come in different sizes.. giant/longarm being 'full' extensions.. with lesser shades of extensions all the way down... kinda like isolations but on the arms..
EDITED_BY: Rev (1119368397)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
names and sh!t ubblol

there's also wrist, elbow and arm circles - so 'arm circles' are another way to describe longarm spinning.

but yeah, all the definitions in my head match with rev's there.

and with andrea's wave

and also with bovril monkey's smile

i've loosened my idea of what a 'carry' is over the years - it used to be a one circle transition across 3 planes but nowdays i label any 'stretched out' circle (i.e. a circle spread across two or more wrist circle positions) as a carry smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mags The Jedi

Must...put...the...staff...down...and...play...with...poi...

devil

eek

wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

i've loosened my idea of what a 'carry' is over the years - it used to be a one circle transition across 3 planes but nowdays i label any 'stretched out' circle (i.e. a circle spread across two or more wrist circle positions) as a carry smile

Um... what? So like from giant to regular is a carry?

I will assume that's what you mean and are therefore stupid. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lol getting back on topic got a few aims
1 get butterfly hyperloops and airwraps cracked
2 more stuff with hyperloops in general
3 work on my btb transitions fwd - > bk
4 maybe get 5bt btb weave (fwd or reverse)
5 throws (all sorts)
6 maybe flowers properly (and maybe even anti spin)

super mega bonus - maybe attepmt some of this dancing everyone seems to think is so important tongue

ah well got falmouth and multiple claphams to work on it all biggrin

back

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden_rathen

super mega bonus - maybe attepmt some of this dancing everyone seems to think is so important tongue

Hey, get that dancing crap out of here. This is for folks who keep their shirt on and their feet firmly planted. You wanna pick up chicks with that pretty boy fluff, I say you move it over to "Social Chat".

wink wink wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Um... what? So like from giant to regular is a carry?

I will assume that's what you mean and are therefore stupid. wink

yep smile

its maybe only worth thinking about it like that if one arm is doing it and the other is not but its just another way of thinking about circles.

come to uberpoi - you'll get the opportunity to call me stupid during the workshop where i go on about it... ubbangel wink

cole. x

ontopic: double ended nets are great - throws are definitely on this summer biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: