Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Hey hey, someone mentioned it earlier I think, but I couldnt find it... Ive started practicing rollerblading and twirling together, I was wondering if anyone else had combined anything else with poi... standing on your head, reciting Hamlet... ?------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

Skyemember
33 posts

Posted:
I do poi while I'm hiking and backpack. I think those might be hobbies.Skye

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Why always the poi???? I don't combine anything with poi, I don't even breathe or exist with poi, but staff on the other hand...I bellydance with with double staves and I've skiied with my single staff a few times - quite easy actually; the side to side motion of the staff nearly replicates the balancing effect of ski poles. Obviously, however, I was not on a double black diamond!!------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
i know nothing about skiing, whats a double black diamond?------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
see on the discussion board "unicycling + fire".for special events i do my shows on 3.5 feet stilts.this year i want to set the ends of the stilts on fire........keep the fire burning........!

frank bentzin

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
heyyyy - now you're gonna get me off-topic!!A double black diamond ski run is one of the hardest 'piste' runs on a mountian; can comprise bumps the size of voltswagons, extreme pitches, nasty fall line and co-incidentally, are often situated right under a chair lift or gondola, just to ensure the most amount of people as possible can watch you look death in the eye. Generally reserved for crazy bastards, extreme riders and unwary tourists!------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
heyyyy - now you're gonna get me off-topic!!A double black diamond ski run is one of the hardest 'piste' runs on a mountian; can comprise bumps the size of voltswagons, extreme pitches, nasty fall line and co-incidentally, are often situated right under a chair lift or gondola, just to ensure the most amount of people as possible can watch you look death in the eye. Generally reserved for crazy bastards, extreme riders and unwary tourists!------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
There is a renaissance festival going on in my area, and there is this amazing guy there, he calls himself Manolete the Spanish Dancer. He has homemade poi he calls bolas made out of rope 2 cm thick and at the end of each one, there is a clear hard plastic ball. He was on a wooden stage and was forming drum patterns swinging them on the wood in split times, and using his boots to form alternate rhythms. He was busting down to this, it was so phat. ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ooopps! looks like that hit of caffeine has affected my dexterity - apologies for the double post people!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Shibaki..his real name is Peter Suarez. He's an acquaintence of mine through a Ren Faire we did together up here. He also plays amazing spanish guitar. At any rate, The bolo's are nylon string with acrylic on the end, and they are more like poi than bolo's since there is one ball on the end of the string instead of two connected. He is a *very* talented and accomplished Flamenco dancer, hence the hard shoes on wood floor, I am so very proud he was added to the Ren circuit a few years ago. Anyway, I do the same thing (started anyway..nowhere near as good as him) thanks to Peter. BTW...we're scheduled to perform at the faires in Florida next year, including the one you are talking about.You can also check two oriental girls who do the same thing out in Cirque Du Soliel, I believe Saltimbanco. They are in perfect unison and it rocks!The same can be done with fire..showers of sparks fly everywhere...it destroys the wick but it looks cool. Anyway I dance, literally, while swinging. I do hip-hop/belly/snake/minor ballet/ (nothing as good as Jesse)/limited tumbling etc. I have a chair routine that I do with staff. I have a floor routine with mini-poi...where my knee(s) or upper part of my body never leave the floor.We have also figured out comedy and singing while spinning but the split focus is hell when practicing.I can also jump rope while swinging poi, so long as somone else is swinging the rope (usually Prom and Apollo or Desmond).Still working on other things...juggling scarves with one hand and swinging with other is a current endeavor just because I want to see if I can do it. If my flags weren't flamamble I think it'd be cool to do one hand with flags and one hand with poi or staff.Oh and using the staff and/or chains in stage fighting is lovely as well.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 29 March 2001).][This message has been edited by Pele (edited 29 March 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Wow... Im in awe... One day! You are the bomb Pele shocked! I will definitely see you at ren fest next year!------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I have rollerbladed/skated and poied at the same time. The spins are lots of fun =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
i definitely want to skate and poi at the same time- i may have been the one who originally posted that. but i'm looking for a pair of oldschool skates, i don't like rollerblades so much. however, nobody sells the older kind anymore...*sigh*

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Im saving up for some 5 wheel speed skates right now, but Im not willing to dish out the $400 for the ones I want yet. What is the older kind like tekkno? Are they just quads or what?

Wow

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
At my local club a few of us snake board.(in between the poi, staff and beer)When i saw a friend snake-boarding around picking up all the balls that the jugglers were dropping and juggling with them himself while still snake boarding, i was quite inspired. I've been practicing doing poi and staff while snake boarding. Its really difficult though because you are always changing direction on the board , and so are switching between swinging forwards and backwards really quickly. I also like to do 'Contact' while snake boarding. (but i'm still crap frown ,) but hey, practice makes perfect. :P-------------------------------"Some people see the world as it is and ask, why?Others see the wold as they want to and ask, why not?"

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
ive only ever done poi and fire breathed at the same time....im not a verry dareing pirson smile------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...