Forums > Social Discussion > Public Liability Insurance

Login/Join to Participate

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Some thoughts on, just had to pull out of a show at the last minute due to being informed that the level of cover my group has is not suffucient, been asked for 10 million cover per person, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem recently, most policies around in the uk are either 2 or 5 million cover any thoughts

mark

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
umm

tell me a bit more about it...?

thats a bit strange, and worrying. who was it for etcetc..?

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Student festival in hampshire, organised well in advance, upon recept of my updated insurance cover etc, i was told that I needed cover at 10,000,000 a rather extensive search and telephopne enquiries with the few uk companies that underwright uk circus performers found that the for heat and spark the cover available now is between 2,000,000 and 5,000,000

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with it in the past, and I have a number of paid and unpaid performances upcomming, I wonder if this is the way though that things are headed.

mark

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've heard that some UK councils are now insisting on £10 million public liability.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
that is fecking ridiculous... But its a compensation culture, right? so we naturally cannot do anything about it... censored

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I'm not sure there is anything to do about it verbatim, since as far as I've been able to assertain, well in the uk, there are no insurance companies providing 10,000,000 cover, i could be wrong though, if anyone else has experience or info I would be interested, in case this unfourtunate issue raises it's ugly head again.

mark

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I think there are companies providing £10M public liability, but am under the impression that there are no companies providing £10M fire performance insurance.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
£10 million? eek

but where from? I'm sure country mutural (sp?) who I am with, don't do it up to that much?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Have any of you tried talking with your insurance companies and seeing if they would offer that coverage for an increased fee? It seems to me like that would be a viable solution if this is something you will be facing in the future.

Just a thought.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Country Mutual definitly do not offer £10M for fire insurance, in fact they also do not offer their £5M option for fire.

£2M is their maximum for fire.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that no UK insurers will go to £10M for fire.

This would mean that, if more employers are insisting on £10M, then fire spinning at legit events, will cease.

Unless some insurance company decides to provide £10M fire cover, and given that, as far as I'm aware, Country Mutual are the only company in the UK to handle fire insurance; this could be unlikely.

Insurers don't like fire.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Yup your right, Onewheel, I invested considerable time into this last year when obtaining PLI, Country and Mutual, then Dixon and Chalmers were offering £5,000,000 but have withdrawn that option. Performers who join Equity get free PLI up to £5 million, provided through First Act Insurance although this excludes heat and spark, so you would still need to top up for fire.

Torribles originally wrote to say that they couldn't provide cover, as the Leisure Consortium at Lloyds (their underwriters) had 'exceeded capacity', they have recently written to say they can provide PLI for individual performers, but at a cost of £500, again no cover for heat and spark.

Wrightsure Services Ltd Recommended by Torribles in their original letter do not insure circus at the moment,

Don't know, if this begins to be a problem for me, then I'll have to go back to how I used to work, and insist that the event organisers delt with the insurance issues, not best practice or in particular to be recomended, also it excluded me from quite a lot of work for smaller events, rather a shame really

mark

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
at least you guys can get cover of some form or another

the cheapest quote i got from an insurance company in ireland was €650 for 1 years cover. needless to say i didn't take it frown

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile