Forums > Help! > Any good Event Caterers out there? UK

Login/Join to Participate

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
We're having a few problems finding some decent caterers for PLAY. We've looked at a few but none can really offer us what we want confused

Does anyone know any good caterers, who work at events like PLAY and are willing to stay open almost 24 hours a day providing tea, chai, veggie, vegan and meat food (with lots of nice variation) and at good prices?

We played with the idea of providing our own but without proper experience and resources we feel it won't be as good as we'd like to offer.

Any links, phone numbers, addresses, pointers and information etc would be most appreciated either in here or by PM please.

Thanks! ubbrollsmile

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Have you got in contact with the people who organise the Bristol Convention? They normally manage quite well.

Or just leave leaflets from the local pizza delivery firm lying around wink

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
some one should make an ical thing of all the events!!!!!
yeah that should happen!

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i know a few good caterers that do festivals serving vegan/vegetarian food that i've sampled over the years. Unfortunatly I'm a little drunk right now and can't remember any names right now! Will post again tomorrow when my brain is back in operation biggrin

great to see you're looking at caterers that do vegan food, tis always nice to know there's at least something i can eat for a weekend other than fruit and flapjack smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
We spoke to the Bristol people tonight, and found a couple others too which was nice!

Flid - ubblol been a good night mate? smile We figured it was more important to cater for veggies and vegans then pretty much everyone can eat. Plus it's cheaper so we all pay less smile There will be meat tho, so omnivours and carnivours don't worry yourselves too much ubbrollsmile

Talk to you tomorrow Flid hug

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yep, after walking round the site last night we saw loads of rabbits so theres even free food for the carnivours! wink

I don't think we have power on site (Dunc, as I right?) so they'll have to be gas powerd or something.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
It was a reasonably good paid for by work night smile

My fav food vendors of recent years at festivals that i can find on the net are:

https://www.purplepenguin.org/
(vegetarian/vegan, chilled out big marquee, lots of cake, chai, tea etc as well as hot food. Busy that weekend thou)

https://www.buddhafield.com/
(vegetarian/vegan, big marquee, no info on site however about the cafe. I've seen them at non religious/buddhist related festivals in the past)

https://www.veggies.org.uk/
(vegan, just a van, have been around for ever but weren't as good as they've been in previous years when we went there at kingston this year, have quite a few products inc burgers, cakes, etc)

Damn hippies! I can't find websites for even half of the ones I'm thinking of. There's a big list here, but haven't sampled them all and know some don't do festivals: https://www.veggies.org.uk/acd/groups/caterers.htm

From my experience most places that do meat will do a bit of vegetarian food and no vegan. Vegetarian/vegan caterers rarely sell any non vegetarian products

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I can cook veg curry. ubblol

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Ask Zane Rambardo(Think thats his surname) he works for the mean fiddler and get the guys who do homelands as the food there was better than my moms

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ok i miss read that very very wrongly :S

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Thanks guys, you're all angels angelblue kiss hug

I found that veggie.org listing the other day and we should now have someone lined up we just have to negotiate final terms.

Sym, we'll have some elctrical power around (for marquee etc) but these guys are solar powered, which is nice smile

Mags your curry would be lovely ubblove if you can bring a big vat full all the way from Falmouth I'd happily let you sell it biggrin

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
*Bump*

Same Festival, same problem!

Moonbeams have dropped out at the last minute, so we are now looking for another cafe!

Help!

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Have you thought about asking swamp circus ifthey want to do it?
The food they did at BJC from the swamp bus was ace.

If you want i can ask for you or pass on your details?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
No I've not, good idea I will talk to them biggrin hug

Thanks smile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Swamp Circus were great.

On the the last day they looked like they were getting to close up and I poked my head in the door and asked for 'something'
Had no idea what I had ordered but what they gave me was nice, a kinda veggie platter with all sorts. Was definitely value for money.

Yah get them!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Pfah, don't bother with any caterers, just schedule plenty of chocolate eating workshops tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Sponsored by Green & Blacks?

With archery classes. Targets sponsored by Thorntons (Logo in the bullseye)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Yep, we're having the same problem with the EJC in Ireland.

Also food hygiene laws are VERY strict here (more so than in the UK or most of Europe), so we need professionals who have all the right permits, equipment etc, but can serve some slap up veggie and vegan meals.

Any leads anyone?

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
One of us local spinners has catered our last few events and the food has been simply beautiful. She is over your way but wouldnt have local permits and such.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
can we bbq on site?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hi Seye wave

Yes you can bbq on site so long as you ensure no grass is scorched, there are cows in the fields once we've left and aparently cooked grass doesn't agree with their tummies

smile

Gnor, who is this? Is it Gabe? From what I know all that is needed to serve food is a basic food hygiene certificate smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
When at the Womad festival I eat at least one meal a day with [url=https://www.womad.makessense.co.uk/locations/85.html]THESE] lot. The food is yummy and they have smily happy staff.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
thanks Lynne, that's an awesome link, I love manic organic!! I always eat there at Glasto cuz they're near where we usually camp smile

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
The Bedouin Cafe is really good and has an open-mike stage area.... don´t know their contact details but you could email the small world to find out. their email is solarstage (-at-) btopenworld.com.

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny