Page:
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just a small thought.

if i organised an uberstaff oz(and cunningly part payed my ticket over there... )in january or february, would there be an interest in it from you upsidedown twirlers?

potential teachers.... me, kyle?, dave knox, + 1 or 2

replies on a postcard(or here, for preference...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

i felt bad enough at uber staff, and have no need to make myslef look anymore low and stupid this month, i have managed that quite well enough thanks

excuse my french mech but that's bullsh1t.

[Old link].

[Old link].

besides, ultimately it is the teachers' responsibility to provide something for each and every student, no matter what their technical level is.

and please know, i'm only giving you crap for this because i'm disappointed that you're not coming frown hug2

cole. x

p.s. apologies for offtopicness redface

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
frown

i know i lied about replying soon but i intend to, honest!

ubbangel

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

Written by: mech

i felt bad enough at uber staff, and have no need to make myslef look anymore low and stupid this month, i have managed that quite well enough thanks

excuse my french mech but that's bullsh1t.

[Old link].

[Old link].

besides, ultimately it is the teachers' responsibility to provide something for each and every student, no matter what their technical level is.

and please know, i'm only giving you crap for this because i'm disappointed that you're not coming frown hug2

cole. x

p.s. apologies for offtopicness redface

cole, i said i enjoyed it, and i did, it stll didnt stop me feeling like i was totaly out of the water......

like you in a computer room with a load of true geeks, you knwo some stuff, but not enough to make you good, and its that feeling in teh pit of your stomac that makes it worse......

i dont rescent anyone at uberstaff, nor am i jelous, but i stil feel like a mornon there....

no offence rob....

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"like you in a computer room with a load of true geeks, you knwo some stuff, but not enough to make you good, and its that feeling in teh pit of your stomach that makes it worse......"

if i was there to be taught by those geeks, to pummel them for as much information as i could get from them in a weekend, in an informal setting where there was no expectation of my level of knowlwdge, no, i do not think i would feel like that.

i would naturally feel slightly inferior but i would not let that prevent me from learning from them.

and spinning is not like that - i would hope that noone at uberpoi leaves feeling like you described.

"i stil feel like a mornon there...."

to quote someone wiser than i: "that's just pride f*ckin wit you".

or, to get all enlightened on your ass: let go of the ego and the soul will be free to flourish...

hug2

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok illpost something more enlighted now

it all comes down to confidence man, acting and eing confident are worlds apart.

and while its easy to say that you would learn cole, you have to be able to learn, if i practiced (which i will do tonight o tomorrow) then stuff dos come back to me, and i d o start to remeber, and over falmouth w/e i will be teaching and learning

(btw did you get my txt?)

but cole, learning is never an easy process..which you know

and drive is a hard thing to gain

i dont mean it in a negative way, but uberstaff was very scary, and very hard for me, i also had a smashed back so i could not o what all teh other kids where doing, but its time and memorial cole!
EDITED_BY: mech (1120663668)

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i understand that man - they are much more honest reasons for not wanting to go.

hug2 hug hug2

but i still say f*ck all that - put yourself through it enough times and the confidence will come with the humility of knowing that whatever you do, there will always be someone you can learn from, and that everyone has to, at some point, go through the pride-buster that is the early stages of learning a skill.

try learning to dance - its apparently one of the biggest blows that a male ego can be dealt! ubblol

i didn't get any texts dude confused
send it again if ya want smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
*off topic*

hug Mech.

I know exactly how you feel.
Cole, It is not as easy as saying f*ck it I'm here to be crap and to learn and to improve and to get what I can out of it, and there's always someone better etc etc.

Even one-on-one, in private, I am very very bad at learning. I panic. I know I am not good at it, I am aware of all the things i need to do to make it easier such as taking pressure off myself, relaxing, doing one thing at a time etc - but I still get that sick feeling and can't focus and can't make sense of anything. When you get to that point, everything you try and do fails, which perpetuates the problem. Try as i might I have not managed to stop myself reaching that point, though I understand why it happens I feel powerless to change it, time and time again.

That's one of the reasons I wasn't at Uberstaff.
It's also the reason I'm no longer upset about not being at Uberpoi - cos I can't handle it.

Sad but true.

Being aware of the fact you are not the best, are probably never going to be, and should just get on with things aand enjoy what you can - works in theory but it's near impossible to apply if you feel the way that I do, and probably Mech as well judging by what he's have written here. It is VERY hard, and painful, for me to learn things even with one other person, let alone a room full. I have tried, and continue to try.

We need a new thread for this!

*sorry*

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

3,638 posts

Posted:
ps -

Written by:

i would naturally feel slightly inferior but i would not let that prevent me from learning from them.

But it WOULD stop me. shrug

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
oooh all you peeps just come for the picnic then!! beerchug you don't have to learn anything!!!!

(I am slow like a zombie sloth...tried to learn the simplest of all possible wraps tonight from someone who is the fastest learner I ever met. Poor darling, he was much more frustrated trying to teach me than I was trying to get it!!!)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mwargh.

off topic first:

mech and fluff, i disagree with your self assessments, having taught you both differing amounts.

mech; considering your back was in the shape it was, i watched you learn more hard(and much easy and beautiful) stuff in two days than i learnt in over a year of spinning. then i watched you repeat it not under lesson conditions. i DO understand the concept of being unable to learn, and many reasons for it. but i think yours are mental selfdeprecation barriers rather than actual impossibilities. until you stop telling yourself 'i can't learn that sh*t' then you won't be able to.

hug and here's hoping.

fluff. where do i start. i think in PM would be good, but considering the last one you sent me i will refrain from promising lots on a topic we have already discussed. let me just say it was an honour spending two days watching you learn like a voracious chimp and coming up with sequences i hadn't imagined just thirty minutes after learning the fundamentals ubblove

ontopicagain

gabe.

please can you pester your son to reply to the email i sent him today about uberoz? its really really important because:

I'M COMING TO OZ!!!!

(dependent on the small print)

Uberoz will almost certainly go ahead(it WILL go ahead if i am there, but a lot of that depends on some funding - fairly confident tho) .

Kyle has already agreed to get involved. and when i get round to asking dom, so will he. for this will not be just staff, but staff AND poi biggrin

smiles to all biggrin

3,638 posts

Posted:
My last interruption in this thread - Bluecat you have also witnessed me not learning, battling with many conflicting emotions, and being generally very un-fairy-like. And you are a friend. The kind words do not change the way that I feel, or the struggle I constantly have with this issue.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
offtopic

Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

We need a new thread for this!

definitely smile

i've had this problem intermittently in the past (not to the extent that you have fairy), but mainly in two situations: ones where i am under a time-pressure to learn and ones where i am being formally taught by someone i have a close personal relationship with.

i haven't thought about it lots lately but i think the reason i don't feel like this much any more is because i managed to gradually get rid of the feeling you described.

i think it was the experience of being in non-pressured, informal teaching situations, with teachers where my only relationship with them is the student-teacher one which helped me specifically to get over my reluctance to even attempt to be in these situations.

i do get though that relieving the internal pressures that are present for some people under tuition is not an easy step.

like i said, if i tried to learn to dance, i would probably feel it again - but it wouldn't stop me going, gritting my teeth and getting through it (as slowly as it takes me).

allowing a feeling of inferiority to decide what i can and can't take part doesn't fit in with me any more - i'd now far rather embarass myself a few times than not do something i really want to do.
an attitude such as "f*ck you if you think i'm crap/slow/rubbish/hopeless!" helps lots wink

shrug indeed

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK Steve, I will attempt some mild pestering! Maternal pestering however fits totally into the category of 'blocks to learning' that people have been discussing here!

As they say, it's a lot easier to Connect To and Learn From the Ancestral Wisdom of Wommen Throughout the Ages than it is to listen to what yr mum says wink

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so rob what can we expect to learn at uber oz?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
fnf, mech and bluecat, what can i add?
i love staff so much there's no time for fear.
i have seen how dodgy my twirling skillz have been (have ya seen col 3? smile ) and have no illusions about bestness.

thoughts of bestness to me is an indulgence, that will cause suffering.
to expect to be anywhere near the best is askin alot, even if is attainable.
there is wisdom in letting go of that part of the mind that needs it.
the joy you guys *CLEARLY* bring to others with your plentiful teaching, isn't that worth much also?

even if all i could do was an akward figure-of-8,
to bring a smile to yourself, to share that smile with others, that would satisfy me.
anything more is a beautiful bonus*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
check your breathing next time you guys feel that tightness coming on. i dunno i just felt like saying that.

maybe "best" is just an archetype that we imagine, and doesn't exist as a point or person but as an ever changing illusion, and our reaction to this projection of ourself is an opportunity to see how we prevent ourselves from realising our potential. i know i have a ghost inside me... rides my ass and i'm never enough.

"disciplined" seems like a much more effective illusory ideal wink

hug to all you lurvelies

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

OK Steve, I will attempt some mild pestering! Maternal pestering however fits totally into the category of 'blocks to learning' that people have been discussing here!

ubblol

(for two reasons)
reason 1: I'm not steve..... i am, always have been, and plan to forever be... Rob.
reason2: just imagined the conversation ubblol

gabe : dave, get your arse in gear and reply to rob
dave: muuuuuuum(whiney voice)
gabe: i told you not to take that tone of voice with me, young man
dave: right thats it, not replying, and i'm going out! (flounces out)

ubblol

as for the off topic side of this thread.
well.
argh. i left a long, nearly finished reply in the office, and i'm not going in today, so it'll probably be out of date by tomorrow *sigh*

Rob

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thats ok rob, ill be posting one later today, so im sure it will not be off topic yet

Step (el-nombrie)

3,638 posts

Posted:
It isn't, and never has been, about being the best. Or near it. It is like stage-fright on a personal level. Even if i understand and believe that nothing is expected. Yes Arashi breathing does help. smile I am one of those people who would burst into tears if asked a question in class. It all depends on my state of mind at the time as to how much of a struggle I find staying calm and sensible enough to function. At the moment - it's not a great plan.

Mucho love - sorry for the hijacking redface

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
OOOOOPS Sorry Rob My bad...spank

You know who I got you mixed up with! redface redface

and yep, the imaginery conversation is pretty accurate!

ps you know that the lad is actually in Europe at mo, eh...so we get to have international doorslams! ubblol

(Actually this gremlin always reminds me of Dave: umm ) wink

Fluffy, Mech et al: Fear + Breathing = Excitement!

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
tee hee.. I've seen him do that face too!!
..but it's always followed by a sweet charming smile smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Bec Fluffy,
Nice to see you here!

And yes Rob, filial response mechanism has been tweaked...

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
*****BIG BUMP*****

for Pixie ubblove

And Right. Now. Ahem.

Before we continue with this thread, let us begin to teach these Angsting Poms some true Ozzie phrases that they can fling about an Ozzie UberCamp:

*she'll be right* weavesmiley

*have a go, mate, who gives a rat's * juggle

*no worries* biggrin

*sweet* hehe

*lovin' it* (thanks, Dan the Fire Man!) wink

and if anyone tries any Spinny Snottiness on ya eek

zap 'em with a

*don't you come the raw prawn with me * sunny

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Is this going ahead then Roberto? Have dates been agreed?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
no but the vocabulary's getting established.....
wadya reckon?

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
biggrin Hey Gabe ubblove thanks for the *bump*... and *poke* (from my intro) this all sounds very exiting!*:.

Will be beautiful to have all these lovely people around biggrin ubblove hug kiss

and ummmm for the offtopic -ness ... Fluffy and mech... I'm totally the same ... freese up... pannic...sometimes cry.... or at very very best nervously giggle my way through learning... Yet I've tought before... go figure shrug

....I much prefer to either nut something out for myself ...or go away and learn it where I'm alone...

So totally know where you're both coming from ....and is kinda ....um ...nice(???) to know there's other people who feel the same and I'm not a freek... (or at least there are other freeks to be friends with wink)

....back on toppic...

yep hot time of year devil ... pool is a great plan biggrin ...

...oh and mentioned somewhere way back on 1st page or someplace was the thought of making it round moonfest time... which would be really awesome... grouphug would love all you gorgeous ones to make it to a moonfest and get a good play together... I don't have the dates for 2006's full moons yet... I'll keep you posted smile*:.

.:*flitters off to chat with the moon*:.

ps. I agree with umm followed by smile = Dave... hehehehe biggrin ubblove ubbrollsmile ubblol

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I don't think I'm going to be able to make this frown

I will be Oz in Jan/Feb, but I won't be there until late Jan and I believe Rob is thinking of early Jan. I might come up to Brisbane especially for the Feb moonfest (around the 13th?), and may be at Rainbow Serpent a couple of weeks before. But currently all is a bit hazy. I'm really bad at planning my weekend, let alone the next 9 months!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ahgghghgghh!!!! ubbcrying
December at the latest....cmon!
I want to play to. frown
*runs of in a tantrum*
wink

peace

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Well as long as the whole thing is on after Nov 4th (end of school and HSC) i will gladly make the treck to where ever its going to be held. The end of school will mark my insane amount of staffing, hopeing to get realy good.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
if im uber lucky (pun intended) then i might be able to make the trip all the way up yonder. tis good if its in january cos school doesnt start til feb. if not, im considdering comming up for a moonfest (possibly) in some of next years holidays.

cheers, pete (hug)

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Page: